PDA

View Full Version : Turning my PC on from over the Internet..?

Rank32
16-11-2004, 10:58 AM
Hi all.

Quick question..

I have a Nokia M1122 router at home with 4 or 5 PCs behind it.. The router is always on, but the PCs aren't.

I was wondering about using WOL (Wake On Lan) from over the Internet and if it could be made to work?

Basically, if I see something at work that I want to download at home, I want to be able to 'wake' my home PC, wait a couple of minutes and then connect via Remote Desktop and start the downloads.

However, what I thought was that my router only routes by IP address, which if my PC isn't on, the router wont find it.. I know WOL works by doing something with the hardware (MAC) address..

The thing is, I can't leave my PC on at home 24/7 because I'm on one of those power manager things, and the PCs chew through the power during the day.

Does anyone have any ideas?

somebody
16-11-2004, 11:09 AM
Although I haven't done this before, I think that you need a special component in the network card on your PCs to be able to make the PCs WOL. Also, your router will need to be able to send WOL messages.

There is another option which you may want to investigate, which you can "ring" your home phone number and it will cause your computer to boot up. I think devices like that retail for about $150 or thereabouts - it basically plugs between the wall socket and yoru computer.

george12
16-11-2004, 11:43 AM
Or you could skip the $150 fee, and use a simple dialup modem attached to the phone line.

Put one in your PC, and set in the BIOS to wake on phone call. If it doesn't work you could look into using Suspend-to-RAM (S3) instead of shutdown. IT uses about the same power as being shut down, and yet the PC can wake up instantly.

HTH George

Rank32
16-11-2004, 11:44 AM
That's what I might look at doing actually.. Seems to be the easiest solution.

However, I quite like the 'movie style' dial in thing, that's cool.

Rank32
16-11-2004, 12:26 PM
I think I may have it solved.

From what a random google result said..

I can create a PHP/ASP script (and leave it on the server here at work) that will send the 'magic packet' thing to my external IP address where router will then broadcast to my LAN and hopefully wake my machine.

That is, if my router supports forwarding broadcasts.