PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with the NZ Relay Service?

caffy
16-11-2004, 09:00 AM
Hi, I'm asking this question here because it's a technical problem (to do with the internet).

I'm sure most of you don't know what the NZ Relay Service is, but its a system where Deaf, Hearing Impaired, Speech Impaired people can use a device called a TTY, to ring people. They ring a centre, where there are Relay Assistants. They are asked to ring a particular person, and the TTY user will type in what they want to be said. The RA voices this to the 3rd person, and what the 3rd person says, the RA will type into the TTY back to the TTY user.

Anyway, the point of this post was that I am having problems with the Internet Relay (www.internet.nzrelay.co.nz if someone wants to try it out). If people don't haev a TTY, they acn use the Internet to connect to a RA and then the 3rd person. My friends have successfully used it, but me and my flatmate cannot (on our two computers). We keep getting this error message:

"Sprint Relay Online cannot be used to make calls from foreign points to points in the United States. Because your IP address has been identified as one originating from a foreign point, your call will not be completed. You are welcome to use Sprint Relay International at 605-224-1837 to complete your relay call. If you feel this message is in error. You may contact Sprint Relay Customer Service at 800-676-3777 TTY/Voice."

I've contacted the company, and they siad to check my firewalls, as that sometimes blocks my IP. Is this right? What else can we check on our computers?

Thanks,
caffy

robsonde
16-11-2004, 09:18 AM
whats the change your on xtra ASDL???

a number of the ASDL users have been issued a IP from a new block that is marked as unused by a number of systems and so the server you are connecting to thinks you are a hacker.

do you know what your IP is??

caffy
16-11-2004, 09:36 AM
I don't use xtra adsl.

I'm using Woosh, and my flatmate is using good ol dial up.

mister harbies
16-11-2004, 09:44 AM
Hi Caffy,

Long time no see on Press F1!

From my understanding is that the Internet Relay won't be launched until the end of the year. I would but my bet on it actually being launched in the New Year. Funny, you say someone has actually used it.

There will be an information session about the relay tonight (and another one in a few hours) at the Auckland Deaf Society, so perhaps you could come along and ask some questions???

Mister Harbies

robsonde
16-11-2004, 09:45 AM
do you run ad blocking software??

I dont see how the firewall would affect it.

caffy
16-11-2004, 09:47 AM
Mister Harbies - the friend I was talking about is someone we both know. She was pretty shocked that I couldn't use it. Another person confirmed that the Internet Relay would be up and running the same time as the TTY Relay..... ??

caffy
16-11-2004, 09:48 AM
ad blocking software?

Only the one in firefox.

caffy
16-11-2004, 09:49 AM
I also have ad-aware if that's of any information?

mister harbies
16-11-2004, 10:48 AM
Caffy,

Why don't you post the Internet Relay url here? I can not find it. The only thing I found was www.nzrelay.co.nz and there is nothing there that indicates a link to the actual page for the relay.

And the information about the internet relay being setup at the end of the year is in the FAQs.

You coming to the information session at 11am? 15 mins left.

Mister Harbies

caffy
16-11-2004, 11:09 AM
www.internet.nzrelay.co.nz