PDA

View Full Version : Failing Hard Drive

Mike
16-11-2004, 07:12 AM
I have a hard drive that seems to be failing (did a test twice at seagate.com - first time it said it was failing and needed to be replaced, the second time, about 1 or 2 hours later, it said it passed).

1. This drive is a secondary drive (not booted from). Is it likely that it could cause problems during system boot that causes messages like "Invalid system disk" and other problems? Occasionally I start my machine and the bios doesn't detect either drive, other times it starts loading Windows (XP Pro) and fails not long after the splash screen disappears. Usually the machine boots fine (99.5% of the time).

2. The drive is still (according to seagate.com) under manufacturers warranty. However I cannot find my receipt from the place of purchase - What are my chances of getting it repaired/replaced under warranty? Would I need to return it to place of purchase, or contact Seagate (or their NZ distributors) directly?

Cheers,
Mike.

CYaBro
16-11-2004, 07:22 AM
If you fill in the RMA warranty return form on Seagate's website they will give you and RMA number and an address in Auckland to send the faulty drive to.
From memory It's a distribution firm and they forward the drive onto Seagate in Singapore I think. So it only costs you the local courier/postage fee.
It takes a couple of weeks to get the replacement.

godfather
16-11-2004, 07:24 AM
If the failure was in the IDE data buffers area then it could affect any other drive on the IDE port, by disabling the data access.

PaulD
16-11-2004, 07:28 AM
Have you ruled out the cable or the harddrive controller? Try putting the drive on the other ide contoller. Are you running the test from a boot floppy?

agent
16-11-2004, 07:29 AM
This sort of thing happened to me (Seagate drive too, Barracuda).

It turned out that to fix the problem, all we had to do was put the 32GB jumper on - obviously the bad sectors were past that area on the platters.

However, I'd recommend you get it fixed under warranty. I think returning it to the place of purchase may be all you need to do, with proof of purchase.

Mike
16-11-2004, 07:29 AM
> If the failure was in the IDE data buffers area then
> it could affect any other drive on the IDE port, by
> disabling the data access.

Is there any way of finding how if this is the case?

Mike.

Mike
16-11-2004, 07:31 AM
> Have you ruled out the cable or the harddrive
> controller? Try putting the drive on the other ide
> contoller. Are you running the test from a boot
> floppy?

I've run tests from the web and from a boot floppy. The problems found by the tests are only found on this one drive, and I occasionally have issues accessing this drive (no problems accessing the other).

Mike.

Mike
16-11-2004, 07:32 AM
> However, I'd recommend you get it fixed under
> warranty. I think returning it to the place of
> purchase may be all you need to do, with proof of
> purchase.

That being my problem - I cannot find proof of purchase (apart from the fact I have the drive ;))

Mike.

drcspy
16-11-2004, 07:54 AM
for seagate drives you need to download the 'returned VST_MRA_Form.xls' from the site.......if you cant find this let me know here and I can email you one........then you need to send it to:jack@vst.co.nz he should return email you with an 'RMA' number, return material authorization, which you then write on the package you sned the drive in .............you need to pack the drive VERY well.........a 'shell case' if you have one and or a bit of stiff cardboard with some foam etc so that they cant claim that the damage may have been caused in transit........

Pheonix
16-11-2004, 07:57 AM
Try CyaBro's suggestion. If I recall, I think Seagate can tell from the serial number (which you have to put into the website) if it is covered by their manufacturers warranty.