PDA

View Full Version : OT: Halflife 2 - have you got yours sorted?

chiefnz
16-11-2004, 12:49 AM
Hey guys, just wanting to know how many PF1'ers have pre-ordered or intend to buy HalfLife 2?

cheers

chiefnz

alphazulusixeightniner
16-11-2004, 01:05 AM
I might buy it, depends on cash funds :)

Lohsing
16-11-2004, 06:51 AM
I did!

Lo.

Shaun Minfie
16-11-2004, 07:38 AM
Been there.

Steamed that. :)

Prescott
16-11-2004, 09:52 AM
meh, might do,
was looking forward to a demo though, anyone know if there is going to be one or is there one?

Desperado
16-11-2004, 10:06 AM
Maybe a year after its released,I'm in no hurry.

lagbort
16-11-2004, 10:12 AM
i might go out and scan the stores tomorrow, see if i can find one of the collectors edition boxes

Prescott
16-11-2004, 10:36 AM
dse has the, 120 bucks. includes Counter Strike and a digitaly enhancement of half life one, what ever this means, i think it means that the graphics are better? anyone confirm?

Desperado
16-11-2004, 11:23 AM
Reviews are up

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/review.html

>>Half-Life 2 is a technically amazing, sharply honed first-person shooter that pulls all the tricks that made Half-Life such a beloved experience. With that said, many of those tricks feel more than a bit familiar now, and the game itself is saddled with a disappointing story.

HadO
16-11-2004, 12:32 PM
Oh yeah baby - DVD-ROM collectors edition should be arriving tomorrow :D :D :D :D

Excellent...

> made Half-Life such a beloved experience. With that
> said, many of those tricks feel more than a bit
> familiar now, and the game itself is saddled with a
> disappointing story.

Hmm...

Would be interesting how the nVIDIA cards shape up against the ATis with HL2 - bit of an embarrasment with Doom3 performance (from ATi) - still it's not the hardware's fault - ATi just need some better OpenGL support...

chiefnz
16-11-2004, 01:06 PM
> Hmm...
> Would be interesting how the nVIDIA cards shape up
> against the ATis with HL2 - bit of an embarrasment
> with Doom3 performance (from ATi) - still it's not
> the hardware's fault - ATi just need some better
> OpenGL support...

There isn't much of a difference between the cards, test after test have shown that nVidia's 6800 is only slightly ahead of ATi's X800 and as you said previously ATi need more work in the Open GL department but having said that lets also not forget that there is a flaw in the 6800 hardware see HERE (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=52963&message=333422&q=nvidia#333422)

But I am keen as well to see what the 2 graphics giants have in store when HL2 comes out.

cheers

chiefnz

HadO
16-11-2004, 01:16 PM
True - maybe I was overdoing it a bit but with the performance seen from the 6800GT it hardly seems worth spending the $ on a X800Pro or X800XT or even a 6800Ultra for that matter... still HL2 will tell all...

HadO
16-11-2004, 01:19 PM
> features such as Motion Compensation, as used for smooth DVD playback, will be unavailable.

> the problem can not be rectified by new driver releases

Wow - that would be a major issue for me!

Nighthawk
16-11-2004, 05:21 PM
OH noes Half-life 2 has a dissapointing story line? LoL i should neva read reviews again. MP is king in the long run, i just hope i can work it with my drindling dial up

Growly
16-11-2004, 07:01 PM
Must... get... [legal version of] Counter-Strike Source...

Gorela
16-11-2004, 11:36 PM
Yep,

I used the Steam option as well. Have been playing it for the last hour and as the reviews have said, the graphics are very nice.

At this early stage it's all very linear, but those graphics and the sound is lovely ;)

metla
19-11-2004, 12:19 PM
heh.....I just realised i have a coupon for HL2 somewhere,Might have to look into how it works....

Pete O\'Neil
19-11-2004, 01:20 PM
HLF2 looks soo very very disapointing, all the horror stories about steam, I think i might wait a few weeks and wait for all the problems to subside.

I'm honestly looking forward to NFSU2 more, graphically its probably not as good, has a crap storyline, and nowhere near as epic but the boy racer trap deep in side me has cravings for exhaust fumes and burning rubber :D

Big John
19-11-2004, 04:54 PM
> HLF2 looks soo very very disapointing, all the horror
> stories about steam, I think i might wait a few weeks
> and wait for all the problems to subside.

Well it is not that bad. True they have a pathetic authentication system which requires heaps of downloading and was a pain even on a JetStart connection and it requires an account with Steam to actually play the game the actual game once you get to playing it is pretty good. Graphics to me are much better than Doom3 and is a lot faster.
The first bits really annoyed me and it also puts it phone home in the system tray but I soon disabled that and close it again once I finish playing.

Prescott
19-11-2004, 06:38 PM
im wondering is it still worth getting the game even though im on dial up, i really want it on cd, but i have read/heard in places that it takes ages to verify or activate it on dial up, can anyone confirm?

Shaun Minfie
19-11-2004, 07:56 PM
I dont know about the activation, but it should play fine on dial up.

CS is another kettle of fish altogeather

HadO
19-11-2004, 09:53 PM
It might be a bit annoying with dialup...

First you will need to authenticate/register it after install and setup a Steam account, unlock the data files using Steam, download patches/updates and then each time you play you will have to connect to the internet AFAIK - I think this is for on-the-fly updating.

Steam is very clunky to get up and running (or maybe the servers were overloaded on release day) and many people are having issues with the Steam games (HL2, CS:Source and HL:Source).

I myself have an interesting bug with the Steam games - I cannot run at a full screen resolution lower than 1152x864 - trying to set this results in a "cannot set video mode error message" - the games continue to try different resolutions with the same error resulting in the game running in a 640x480 windowed mode. This problem does not occur at resolutions higher than 1024x768 though... interesting.

mister harbies
21-11-2004, 02:41 PM
I just bought Half Life 2 yesterday. Grpahics are surreal, and the complexity of the game is marvellous. I life the fact you can almost pick anything up and use it.

I've obnly just started the game, so its pretty easy at the moment playing in easy mode on the first level.

Am not aiming to clock it in so many hours. Take my time and enjoy the scenery and gameplay.

Mister Harbies

robert_m_r_w
21-11-2004, 04:57 PM
brought the game @ shop (DVD edition)
gone home to "activate" via Steam only discover that my cd-key is "already register and cannot be used on Steam". great
now according to their tech support, send an email to them with photographs of the actual dvd, case and receipt to "know" that its a retail copy...
great..
that my HL2 Experiences ruined

Big John
21-11-2004, 05:59 PM
> brought the game @ shop (DVD edition)
> gone home to "activate" via Steam only discover that
> my cd-key is "already register and cannot be used on
> Steam". great
> now according to their tech support, send an email to
> them with photographs of the actual dvd, case and
> receipt to "know" that its a retail copy...
> great..
> that my HL2 Experiences ruined

I would take it back to the shop and ask for another copy. Maybe they used it for a demo and used the key then. Was it open or resealed when you got it?
Anyway it is faulty goods and should be returned for resupply to the vendor.

robert_m_r_w
21-11-2004, 08:43 PM
it was the last copy...
and i have request for a new key via email..

alphazulusixeightniner
22-11-2004, 12:46 AM
I bought mine yesterday. $84.90 at DSE with free half-life 2 t-shirt! :D Pretty awesome game so far.

Raikyn
22-11-2004, 12:57 AM
It look pretty good so far :)

Took about half an hour to install and activate with most time spent decrypting files in the activation process, and using jetsteam.

BTW this was with collectors edition.

mister harbies
22-11-2004, 07:53 AM
Alpha,

you got a free tee-shirt? Why didn't I? I bought mine from DSE too. Did you ask for it or do you think they made a mistake?

Mister Harbies

HadO
22-11-2004, 01:26 PM
I got the TShirt with the collector's edition -

nothing special just black with white logo on the front...

It's quite undercover - only those in the know will know ;)

alphazulusixeightniner
22-11-2004, 05:34 PM
Well I was looking up prices on their website and found this (http://dse.resultspage.com/search.php?p=R&srid=S9&lbc=dse&w=half%20life%202&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2edse%2eco%2enz%2fcgi%2dbin%2 fdse%2estorefront%2f%5fsessionid%5f%2fProduct%2fVi ew%2fJ6890&rk=3&uid=176238589&sid=2&ts=p2&sessionid=41a16baf04bb46ce2740c0a87f99074f&method=and) and asked at the counter. ;)

And flip it looks like they've put the price at DSE up to $99 now as well. :O Oh well I got one of the best deals around :)

Can anyone tell me, with the collecters edition, what is this Half Life 1 Source??? Is that the original half life game on the HL2 engine?

HadO
22-11-2004, 06:18 PM
alpha > yes it it.

Original Half-Life on Source engine with updated physics and some graphical improvements.

The first game is pretty epic for the most part IMO... :D

HadO
22-11-2004, 06:19 PM
Collectors edition is also 1 DVD-ROM instead of 5 CD-ROMs ;)

Biggles
22-11-2004, 10:54 PM
Well, I've spent hours on it today. What a blast. I expected to be disappointed when I fired it upon my old GF4 Ti4400 - after my Doom 3 experience on the same card - but wow, it runs sweat at 1152 x 768 and looks a dream. I'm going to grab an X800 from the test room and drop that in next. Love the air boat . . . . . .

HadO
22-11-2004, 11:08 PM
mmm X800...

metla
22-11-2004, 11:11 PM
This damn ati coupon i have don't work,just says invalid cd key.

Spewin x 50

Raikyn
22-11-2004, 11:33 PM
Looks pretty good on a 6800 ultra too ;)

They released HL2, NFSU 2 and (for me at least) FM 2005 on consequent days. I don't know what to play now ?:|

Big John
23-11-2004, 09:30 AM
Well I found my first bug yesterday. There was a part where you have to lower 3 shields to stop the big cannon from the sky. One part has a room with trips all around it and a hopper just inside the door. The hopper jumped just as I stepped in the door so I quickly stepped back out of the way and let it go off. The door slid shut on me.
You need to get through this room to get to one of the shields and there was no way to get the door open again.
I tried to go back to one of the quicksaves and all of them had the door closed even though it was open when they happened. Also all of my manual saves had the same thing.
I had to go back and find a save that was just as they come out of the teleporter so that the door was open and replay that whole bit again.

So watch that jumper and use the gravity generator to pick it up and throw it away.

PoWa
23-11-2004, 12:09 PM
I've found a few bugs with levers. It might be one of those levers where you have to hold it down to make it work, but if you only clicked on it for a second, then it stops. Then you can't even activate the lever again, you have to load a quicksave.

chiefnz
25-11-2004, 04:20 PM
Well I've finally got HL2 going... after a 2nd trip to DSE I might add. Got the game this morning, installed it and WHAT... cannot copy file.... OMG say it aint so!!!!

It seems that one of the archive files was corrupt on cd 4... I tried using WinRAR to maually extract it but it kept crashing @ about 12%.... stuff that I want Half-life 2 action now!!!

So I went back to DSE and told them what had happened and gave them a printed copy of the error message I experienced... after a short explaination I was given a new copy :)

Got home the 2nd time and install went fine..... looooooooooooonnnggg but fine.

Game crashed my system 1st time I ran it but after a reboot it was sweet as.

I've only played the first few stages (3 or 4) and I must say it is really smooth, I was sceptical my 9600XT might have a few problems but she's handling it all good.

Well guess it's back to big bad Gordo now.

cheers

chiefnz

metla
25-11-2004, 10:11 PM
Ready to play in approx: 711 minutes.....

Prescott
25-11-2004, 10:17 PM
> Ready to play in approx: 711 minutes.....

is that with all the authorising and all that rubbish?, and is this on broadband? i hate to think how long its gonna take me to get it ready for me to play on dial up, is there any thing i can download now that i will need before i buy the game so i dont have to download it all a day before i play it? :p

metla
25-11-2004, 10:28 PM
Im downloading the entire game,11 hours....Thats not to bad,I have already downloaded and installed steam,created an account,registered the game.

And when this is done i will start over with Couter Strike:Source.

Now all i need is one of those 6600GT's....

metla
26-11-2004, 11:04 PM
Shattered.

Big stinking pile of crap won't get past the out of focus loading screen.

HadO
26-11-2004, 11:24 PM
Is it displaying any error messages or just dropping out?

metla
26-11-2004, 11:25 PM
Just sits there saying loading...lmao,cpu usage is at 0% but system is choking.

Biggles
27-11-2004, 08:02 PM
Tried it now on my Ti4400, X800 Pro (256MB) and a budget X300 in my work PC -- and man I was happy on all of them. It certainly looked great on the X800 but when I whipped it out and put my Ti4400 back in, the funny thing was I didn't really miss the X800. When I tried the same exercise with Doom 3 it just "felt" so much less of a game with my Ti4400 than it did with a stonking big DX9 card in.

Tried CD:Source last night on an Aussie server. Haven't played CS for many years since I switched to DoD. Don't know half the maps they've got now but it was still fun. Really waiting for DoD: Source though . . .

E|im
27-11-2004, 08:15 PM
> Tried it now on my X800 Pro

Did you crank up the AA and AF? Does it still feel nice and smooth with those enabled at say 1280x1024?

Biggles
27-11-2004, 08:39 PM
I cranked everything up but was only running it at 1152 x 864. But it was smooth as - I'm sure it would go up to 1280 fine.

Gorela
27-11-2004, 08:52 PM
It automatically cranks up the AA and AF depending on the video cards specs. It doesn't appear to be as resource hungry as Doom3 and rocks along until the later stages of the game where I started experiencing some freeze frame just after the loading of the next stage. FRAPS was showing highs of 120+ and lows of 66 with everything cranked up at 1024x768 on a 6800GT.

I don't know which was more fun. Running around with one of the Combine soldiers dangling from the end of the gravity gun or firing one of them at the others!

Great game, but I would be hard pressed to say whether Doom3 with it's great atmosphere or Half life 2 with it's game play and the "Movie" style finish was better.

Loved them both.