PDA

View Full Version : Problem with AVG7 Free and older version of ZA

nzStan
15-11-2004, 07:59 PM
Just a heads up for anyone using older version of Zone Alarm and AVG 7 Free (latest version).

I installed latest AVG7 Free and latest ZoneAlarm over the weekend on a new PC for a friend (winXP Pro). Everything worked like a charm.

Then I saw the big notice at www.grisoft.com about the cessation of support for AVG6 Free at the end of this year. So I updated my home PC to AVG7 Free.

Noticed today that I could not receive or send any emails. Discovered from AVG's forum the problem is caused by Zone Alarm's MailSafe. Had to disable it before email would work properly.

It seems this problem affect older version of Zone Alarm only (eg in my case).

tweak\'e
15-11-2004, 08:52 PM
it not only a AVG problem. it happens to other antivirus products as well. ZA recommends turning off mailsafe when useing a other email protection.

Peter H
15-11-2004, 09:04 PM
Even without ZA, AVG 7 buggared up my Emails. Given up on it. Another good programme ruined by newer versions.
Bye

fairway
15-11-2004, 11:19 PM
I'm not trying to play convert here.. but .. Avast Antivirus and
Sygate personal fire wall are happily married on my putter.
Even after a lot of updates recently.

Seems winter is early for the northern hemesphere, a whole lot of new bugs around.

PaulD
15-11-2004, 11:46 PM
Peter H. you've been telling us that AVG7 doesn't work for so long we need a reminder - What email client etc are you using?

Peter H
16-11-2004, 10:43 AM
Outlook Express V5.5 I think most if the problem is that I use 2 ISP's, allthough have used AVG 6 for years with no problems. I have changed to Avast, and everything works OK now. Bletch gave some help, and also someone earlier had a problem with Email. System is W98se - IE 5.5
Bye