PDA

View Full Version : OT: Big Gaming Week...

HadO
15-11-2004, 05:30 PM
Everyone must (should) be aware that:

Half-Life 2 will be released 17/11...

Need for Speed Underground 2 will be released 18/11...

Now - only need to wait for GTA: San Andreas and Halo 2 to come out on PC :D

Personally I can't wait for Half-Life 2 - the original game kept me hooked for months!

NFSU2 will have to wait... I played the demo but wasn't highly impressed - but it was only a demo.

agent
15-11-2004, 05:54 PM
Apparently there's going to be quite a wait before the PC version of San Andreas comes out.

HadO
15-11-2004, 06:01 PM
Yeah I would expect the normal one year wait for the conversion - even though the games look like a straight port with the exceptions of some higher res textures...

The whole Sony dominance thing sucks - I assume XBox owners will be in for an equally long wait.

I do own a PS2 but after playing Vice City on PS2 and then on PC I can't justify the purchase :D

lagbort
15-11-2004, 06:07 PM
buying nfsu2 on the day it comes out, and hl2, well i thought the original was a pretty poor game so i guess ill just wait and see on the sequel

HadO
15-11-2004, 06:10 PM
You thought the original Half-Life was poor?! :O

Best PC FPS ever!

lagbort
15-11-2004, 06:13 PM
i thought the graphics were barely passable and the gameplay was shocking, and no matter how many mods they put on it, no one has been able to make a half decent game out of the hl engine (as far as i know), so i guess ill leave it at that.

best pc fps ever, no...way...

i really enjoyed halo, infact thats probably the only fps in recent times that i have actually enjoyed.....

MrBeef
15-11-2004, 06:46 PM
return to castle wolfenstein was/is better than HL in gameplay and graphics. IMO.

HL is good for interweb play

Pete O\'Neil
15-11-2004, 06:53 PM
OMG how can you think that Halo was a good game? The levels where so repeatative, the gameplay was very limited. Quite frankly it felt like one of the original FPS such as Duke3D or QuakeI but with better graphics.

The conversion over to PC with horrible, it felt like you where playing a console game with a mouse and keyboard. They had so much time to do a really good job, yet the graphics were no better than the console (the hardware avaliable at the time way leagues ahead of the xbox) and ran like a dog on most high end PC's. They failed to take full advantage of the keyboard and mouse, the true way of playing FPS. Worst of all the game required no skill, even thought they were poorly implemented the keyboard and mouse made the game ridiculously easy.

Golden Eye still remains the definitive console FPS.

Just finished a weekend of lanning with my uni mates who are back in town. We spent the weekend playing Tribes Vengeance and Star Wars Battlefront. Tribes is fantastic, dont know how it compares to the originals as i never played them, but Vengeance is soooo adictive. It combines all great aspects of CS, UT and BF. Battlefront is crappy in single player, but multiplayer isnt too bad, it lacks the polish of the Battlefeild series and Tribes but still provided several hours of fun.

lagbort
15-11-2004, 07:05 PM
yeah i do realise it was repitive but for me it just had that extra spark that most fps' now are missing, and yes untill I upgraded from my 5600 to my 6800gt it did run crap, but even so, there was just something extra keeping me going.

Anotehr good reason is that i have always hada relatively weak constitution, so games like doom3 or far cry were no good for me, but i guess each to his own.

I didnt really notice much difference between halo control response and doom3 controls or any other pc fps for that matter.

Pete O\'Neil
15-11-2004, 07:13 PM
I just found the controls very limiting, im a very aggresive player i get right in the face of the enemy, strafing and jumping alot. Halo didnt really offer any benefits of such a style, i found it benefited those who stayed firmly on the ground and use a very dull plain style.

Compare it to a game such as UT2k4 with double jumping and dodging and i felt like i had my wings clipped. I have to admit i found it one of the better FPS that ive played in the last few years, the story and other factors made up for its short comings. I quite enjoyed the early stages of the game but i got to a certain point where it was just so repeatitive i couldn't play it anymore, the multiplayer also sucked and in general regardless of genre its seemed very lacking. Im not a fan of DOOM3 and found Farcry's single player lacking, up until recently i played alot of Farcry multiplayer.

Pete O\'Neil
15-11-2004, 07:13 PM
I just found the controls very limiting, im a very aggresive player i get right in the face of the enemy, strafing and jumping alot. Halo didnt really offer any benefits of such a style, i found it benefited those who stayed firmly on the ground and use a very dull plain style.

Compare it to a game such as UT2k4 with double jumping and dodging and i felt like i had my wings clipped. I have to admit i found it one of the better FPS that ive played in the last few years, the story and other factors made up for its short comings. I quite enjoyed the early stages of the game but i got to a certain point where it was just so repeatitive i couldn't play it anymore, the multiplayer also sucked and in general regardless of genre its seemed very lacking. Im not a fan of DOOM3 and found Farcry's single player lacking, up until recently i played alot of Farcry multiplayer.

crazy monkey
15-11-2004, 07:15 PM
I totaly aggree with Pete O'Neil. Halo is a terrible game; It runs like my granny on my friends shiny new radeon 9800 pro with R360 core. Anothere friend claims that he is as good on a hand controller at FPS's than with a keyboard and mouse; thats total bullshit and we both know it.

GTA vice City is a good game but the engine is the worst engine I have ever seen. It is made for a PS2, which is a crap console. the result is that the draw distance is so short, it's not funny. Also every time you turn around the cars behind you 'de-spawn' whick gets f*ckn annoying.

HL was a good game for its time. It was made in I think 1998. Thats 6 years ago, considering what was around back then..... it was a very good game. The engine is still used in CS today (although that is being replace by source) but that is still lasted for 6 years which is a ******* long time.

Btw: HL was based was based on the Quake I engine, so thats even more than 6 years.

lagbort
15-11-2004, 07:18 PM
yeah i suppose im more of a tactical player, using cover and blindspots to my advantage (except for those damn hunters grrrrr :p), but i agree once you get upto the flood levels it almost makes you want to give up, especially that level where you are following the monitor through the library (arrrgh so much repititiveness).

But overall i think halo could have been one of the best games ever with a bit more polishing.

heres hoping the halo 2 pc conversion goes a bit more smoothly

HadO
15-11-2004, 08:13 PM
Wow - this has blown up in my absence :D

I have to admit I have never played Halo - mostly because of the issues rising from the bad PC port.

I agree the problems with VC is annoying - which is a shame because they know they could put a lot more effort into PC ports with the power available but they dont! I guess they either dont want to upstage the console versions or just have the "we've done enough" attitude which is a shame.

I have been PC FPS gaming since Wolf3D (yeah the original) and also thought RTCW was good BUT nothing has kept me glued to the screen like Half-Life.

I find that the excessive gloss put into games like FarCry and Doom3 (although this is incredibly frightening 5.1snd lol) kind of spoil them a bit as they focus less on quality gameplay and more on looks - of course Online Multiplay is an exception to this.

Pete - I have recently experienced FarCry and Doom3 online - very fun but some fast local servers would be good :D

Raikyn
16-11-2004, 12:21 AM
> Everyone must (should) be aware that:
>
>
> Half-Life 2 will be released 17/11...
>
> Need for Speed Underground 2 will be released
> 18/11...

And on the 19/11 FM 2005 :D

For me it three games in three days. Where will I get the time :(

Jams
16-11-2004, 02:36 AM
lol. pete. i guess thats why Halo sold 5 million copies.

i dare you to go up to Bungie, a multimillion dollar game developer and tell them that halo is reminiscent of Duke 3D. Either that, or ask them to employ you, seeing as you are implying the fact that you know so much better than they do.

HadO
16-11-2004, 07:59 AM
> lol. pete. i guess thats why Halo sold 5 million
> copies.

No offence but it was probably because it was the most publicised XBox game, launched with the Xbox itself and the only decent Xbox game that was available for a very long time...

Chilling_Silence
16-11-2004, 08:09 AM
I wouldnt buy a PS2, knowing that the only _real_ game I could play was San Andreas - Its just not viable! Sorry but there goes that theory IMO!

Best games:
Halo (Cant beat 16-player LANs)
Day-of-Defeat (Based on the HL Engine - What a game!)
James Bond 007: GoldenEye (Probably the most addictive thing Ive ever played!)

fergie
16-11-2004, 09:40 AM
yea, never liked Halo, i remeber going to my mates (only had a xbox - no pc) and he was playing it for like the 3rd time (clocking it) and was stoking saying how it's so great.
Anyway, we ended up playing it for a few hours, but the whole time i was thinking 'half the FPS on PC are better than this' and i no ALOT of people with no 'true' pc gaming experience that just rave about Halo, i mean its a great game for a console, but its not that great of a game!
I recently purchased a PS2 (went halves with my sister!) for two reasons:
1. GTA:SA
2. Gran Turismo 4

I can't be bothered waiting a year for GTA to come to PC (even though when it comes, i'll probably replay the whole game!) and i still haven't found a PC equilavant of Gran Turismo...

But the PC will still be my main gaming platform, i don't think i'll get much more than those 2 games for ps2.
Games i been playing:
1) just clocked Rainbow 6: Raven Shield, great game!
2) HUGE SW fan, so naturally have been playing SW:BF, but yea, sick of that!
3) got Total Club Manager 05 coming, now, i can't stand soccer, never watched a full game, and as for following it, all i would no is what the typical news watcher know's, but this game has got me hooked the past 2 years, and i look forward to this!

chiefnz
16-11-2004, 09:41 AM
:)

I just realised that I've played more Halo 1 than Halo 2 in the last 24 hours.

Does anyone know if they're gona make a PC version o Halo2. I'm soooo much better with a mouse and keyboard... lethal even ;)

cheers

chiefnz

Pete O\'Neil
16-11-2004, 09:45 AM
>and i still haven't found a PC equilavant of Gran Turismo...
I know the feeling, it would wonderful to have a proper racing sim on PC. Theres a new one coming out on Xbox soon thats suppose to rival GT4, it will be interesting to see who is crowned king. Im really really hoping that NFSU2 will be more technical than the original and allow more performance customization instead of lvl1 lvl2 and lvl3 upgrades. it would be nice if the cars were more realistic, since when did a Honda Civic handle better than a Subaru Imprezza?

Desperado
16-11-2004, 10:11 AM
Racing sims for PC

http://www.rscnet.org/
http://www.f1simlinks.net/mods/mods_f1c.htm
http://www.bhmotorsports.com/

MrBeef
16-11-2004, 11:37 AM
> I just realised that I've played more Halo 1 than Halo 2 in the last 24 hours.

don't you mean, you've played more halo 2 than 1 in the last 24 hours..

Otherwise...you're really really stating the obvious.

HadO
16-11-2004, 12:10 PM
> >and i still haven't found a PC equilavant of Gran
> Turismo...
> I know the feeling, it would wonderful to have a
> proper racing sim on PC.

Yeah despite metlas attitude to GT I think the series is one of a kind - PC port please (not that it would ever happen)! GT4 looks to be the ultimate from the facts I have obtained about... PAL release probably wont be until first quart next year. Although there are good PC racing sims they have never had the same effect on me as GT3 :D

> Im really
> really hoping that NFSU2 will be more technical than
> the original and allow more performance customization
> instead of lvl1 lvl2 and lvl3 upgrades. it would be
> nice if the cars were more realistic, since when did
> a Honda Civic handle better than a Subaru Imprezza?

From what I have seen the cars will be extremely customisable - re: the realistic car models - this is still a purely arcade racer and I doubt the car models will be much different from the original.

MrBeef
16-11-2004, 12:16 PM
ive played nfsu on pc and ps2, and Id say the PC is better...

However I'm not a man to be torn between both, I like both just one a little better.

Looking forward nfsu2, looks good on ImportX (C4 last night)

HadO
16-11-2004, 12:21 PM
All depends on the setup - cranking it on the PC with details up full, high res with FF wheel and 5.1 sound is great...

Although the games are incredibly similar especially when playing the PS2 version with a FF wheel and surround sound - the graphical prowess of the PC version is unrelenting :D

chiefnz
16-11-2004, 12:22 PM
No I do mean I've played more Halo1 (PC) see here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=53431)

I am a newbie really whenit comes to the controls on Xbox, but I'm getting better.

cheers

chiefnz