PDA

View Full Version : PressF1 Survey: Are we not tough enough?

15-11-2004, 06:12 AM
From the few who do know who I am, Ive had 100% of them saying that the Moderation on this Forum is not tough enough.

So:

Do you Agree, or
Do you not?

I dont want a why you do/dont - That might asked for later, but for now lets just keep answers to an "Agree" or "Disagree" alright!

Bruce:
Hopefully this well help with the answer to the question mentioned last monday.

Greg S
15-11-2004, 06:16 AM
Disagree

Chilling_Silence
15-11-2004, 06:24 AM
Agree

Intel Hunter
15-11-2004, 06:37 AM
Agree

tbacon_nz
15-11-2004, 06:47 AM
Agree

wintertide
15-11-2004, 07:05 AM
Agree

beama
15-11-2004, 07:16 AM
Agree

mister harbies
15-11-2004, 07:23 AM
Agree

Susan B
15-11-2004, 07:27 AM
Agree

TonyF
15-11-2004, 07:29 AM
Agree

4bes
15-11-2004, 07:49 AM
agree

metla
15-11-2004, 07:53 AM
Well,You know what i think,I told ya to harden up and kick some pootang.

Smithie 38
15-11-2004, 07:55 AM
Agree

stu120404
15-11-2004, 07:56 AM
Agree

Ashka
15-11-2004, 08:09 AM
Agree

Steve_L
15-11-2004, 08:14 AM
>>> AGREE

somebody
15-11-2004, 08:22 AM
Agreed. There are some on this forum who have had their fair share of warnings, who should be booted immediately (although I do admit that some of these people have been booted which is good).

JJJJJ
15-11-2004, 08:24 AM
Agree.
But I don't like being monitored by some anonymous person. How come the "chosen few" are permitted to know?
Jack ;\

Greg S
15-11-2004, 08:31 AM
> Disagree

Only I disagree so far!? *gasp* lol :D

JJJJJ
15-11-2004, 08:40 AM
Nothing unusual GregS. You never agree with anyone.
Jack

Greg S
15-11-2004, 08:51 AM
> Nothing unusual GregS. You never agree with anyone.
> Jack

*double gasp* :O And all this time I thought it was that no-one agreed with me! :(

15-11-2004, 09:23 AM
That's cool Greg.

Any reason why you think things are strict enough currently?

Keep the Agrees/Disagrees rolling in.

Hopefully we'll be acting on these results shortly :-)

Greg S
15-11-2004, 09:34 AM
> That's cool Greg.
>
> Any reason why you think things are strict enough
> currently?

Well it's not a major either way, but... generally I don't get too peeved with poor ettiquete etc, and usually the bad 'uns get the message sooner or later, or eventually get kicked.

But also I've let my tongue slip a few times and have had it overlooked, so I wouldn't want to see folks 'condemned' on an occasional slip.

The only reason I can think of for being a little more strict is the sometimes inane and belittling comments made to newbies - in my mind it's insulting and belittling. The mud-slinging between members doesn't worry me at all, apart from showing the world what a bunch of imature people our IT community comprises of. Example... you never see GF get into a name-calling row do you.

So I see both sides, but the fact that the forum is currently moderated is basically good enough (for me).

John H
15-11-2004, 09:39 AM
Agree.

Neil McC
15-11-2004, 11:45 AM
Agree,with Greg S.But there again I've never been on the receiving end of some of the insults.

beetle
15-11-2004, 12:13 PM
Ok Blonde in control here....LOL
are we agreeing its strong enuf or or not strong enuf?

I think the control is fine, just the moderator is possibly not on PF1 as much as most of us (could be wrong) and so doesnt often pick up these threads as fast as could be, and theve already degenerated beyound control or help.
and the perpatrators seem to pick this up. if i have, including others as well, and others know who he is, what else can be done?
how much further can a mod go before its shut down time?

just my opinion of course.

but i dont feel at times this is enuf, we are scaring away newbs, as todays thread showed big time, all because of stupid bickering.

beetle

John H
15-11-2004, 12:27 PM
Hi beetle

When I said "agree", I meant "I agree, [the moderators] are not tough enough", and I think that is what was meant by the others who said it too.

However, I think you may be making a valid point - some threads that have descended to a silly level of bickering and general stupidity run on longer than I think necessary - maybe the problem is that the moderators don't actually pick them up soon enough, rather than not being tough enough. But I imagine the moderators have a life outside PressF1.

pulling hair out
15-11-2004, 12:50 PM
I originally was going to disagree because I thought the moderators were waiting/hoping for either [1] the posters to soon tire of abusing and return to normal, or [2] waiting for people to email them to advise of what was going on.

After reading from your replies that the moderators aren't always around etc, then maybe my above assumptions are wrong [again :D ]
So guess you can count me as agreeing they're not tough enough

Pete O\'Neil
15-11-2004, 01:03 PM
I think we need more moderation, in my opinion threads like the recent ones started by Jack about who the moderator is should have been locked the moment jack posted. And the OT threads that people start because a thread is locked and they dont get to voice their opinion along with threads like Stu saying goodbye should be locked or even deleted, all they do is stir ****. The forum is full of too much OT dribble, threads about fridges and goats may not be PC related by are constructive and informative, and in my opinion worth having. Threads about people saying their leaving or people begging others not to leave quickly develop into mug slinging, and should be deleted and ignored.

Peter M
15-11-2004, 01:04 PM
Agree

Terry Porritt
15-11-2004, 01:29 PM
I agree, get tough.

I also think PF1 may have run it's useful course now, it is not helping many people really these days. Perhaps close it down for 6 months or so.

I mean look at the thread this morning by MattG asking for advice, a shambles.

Then we have this;

>>The only reason I can think of for being a little more strict is the sometimes inane and belittling comments made to newbies.

and this from the same source this morning;
>>C'mon man! It wasn't that bad! I made a bit of a dig, sure - just because I infer that the guy acts like a girl's blouse isn't so offensive.

Jeez.

As Raymondo said, "what the hells happened to PF1?"

POTUS
15-11-2004, 01:29 PM
I would say that you're not tough enough. Sure, I've done my share of muck slinging, but only out of frustration. Had I not been abused / attacked in the first place I wouldn't have gotten angry with others. Also I think that you'd only need to be tough in the short term as people learn the behavourial parameters.

Terry Porritt
15-11-2004, 01:49 PM
Sorry to post twice, but I've only just seen this, MattGs' farewell from his first and last post:

>>I won't be back here again and I won't be buying your mag any more! What a bunch of kids! Goodbye!

All this stupid illiterate behaviour doesn't reflect at all well on PC World. I wonder how many mag sales have been lost because of PF1?

I first posted here the first or second week that PF1 started up in September 1998.
Behaviour has never been so bad as it is now.

nzStan
15-11-2004, 02:19 PM
Agree. There is a code of conduct posted by Bruce Buckland. Not everyone respect the C.O.C. Moderators are not able to control the threads nor are they respected by users and as a result I am only visiting this forum occasionally instead of daily.

I am still a subcriber and PC World is still my favorite magazine but I don't find the PF1 forum as useful or as friendly as it used to be.

nzStan
15-11-2004, 02:47 PM
Oops my apologies to Bruce. I meant Buckman. Got your name mixed up with someone else.

JJJJJ
15-11-2004, 02:57 PM
I would say that you're not tough enough. Sure, I've done my share of muck slinging, but only out of frustration. Had I not been abused / attacked in the first place I wouldn't have gotten angry with others. Also I think that you'd only need to be tough in the short term as people learn the behavourial parameters.

Ditto
Jack

TonyF
15-11-2004, 03:03 PM
. Sure, I've
> done my share of muck slinging, but only out of
> frustration. Had I not been abused / attacked in the
> first place I wouldn't have gotten angry with others.

Then why on earth do you and others lash out ? This is the basis of the problem. Only a few do it but it spoils this Forum.
Tony

i-gordon
15-11-2004, 03:10 PM
agree

stu120404
15-11-2004, 03:18 PM
> I also think PF1 may have run it's useful course now,
> it is not helping many people really these days.
> Perhaps close it down for 6 months or so.

I have to say Terry, IMO that is starting to sound like a Good idea to me, instead of 6 months make it more like an year ( so some people can get over Press F1), & not to tell any one that the plug was pilled?

Jen C
15-11-2004, 03:58 PM
Agree.

JJJJJ
15-11-2004, 04:02 PM
Then why on earth do you and others lash out ? This is the basis of the problem. Only a few do it but it spoils this Forum.
Tony

In my case it's because I've got a very short fuse. And I will admit that five minutes after posting I usualy say to myself, "I shouldn't have said that".
Jack

Greg S
15-11-2004, 04:24 PM
> Sorry to post twice

Half the reason there's so much bickering is that some people like Porritt like the sound of their own voices too much

TonyF
15-11-2004, 04:29 PM
> > Sorry to post twice
>
> Half the reason there's so much bickering is that
> some people like Porritt like the sound of their own
> voices too much

Another example of the problem. Silly stuff.

Greg S
15-11-2004, 04:33 PM
> > Half the reason there's so much bickering is that
> > some people like Porritt like the sound of their
> own
> > voices too much
>
> Another example of the problem. Silly stuff.

And yet another example of people chirping when there was no need to

nzStan
15-11-2004, 04:39 PM
Greg, you're getting withdrawal symptom from not playing enough AAO. You're starting to get cranky and easily upsettable. I would recommend DMZ clause number six for situation like this. :P

Seriously dude, I've been in such a dark mood the past few weeks due to work load and my wife commented I was smiling while playing AAO during the weekend.

Graham L
15-11-2004, 04:39 PM
The whole reason there's so much bickering is that too many have "short fuses", and too many "think" that abuse is the appropriate response to a disagreement. I don't mind people writing abusive tirades. I do object to their posting the damn things.

So get tough. The borderline is not vague. It's bloody obvious.

TonyF
15-11-2004, 04:42 PM
I STRONGLY agree with the Moderator.

Cheers
Chirpy.

beetle
15-11-2004, 04:48 PM
Tweet tweet............

beetle

Terry Porritt
15-11-2004, 04:54 PM
Greg is right !

Porritt, 2476 posts;

GregS, 2104 posts

since June 2002 :)

I know we are only supposed to post agree or disagree, but as Graham pointed out the other day, it isn't a good idea to attack the person in a discusion, attack or dispute logically or reasonably what they say by all means.

Laura
15-11-2004, 04:55 PM
Agree (not tough enough)
Strongly Disagree with the close-down idea.

Dolby Digital
15-11-2004, 04:59 PM
get tougher (agree) ;\

Bletch
15-11-2004, 05:13 PM
Agree

i-gordon
15-11-2004, 05:37 PM
Agree

beetle
15-11-2004, 05:38 PM
Maybe we need more than one mod then, so all sorts of hours are covered not just when one mod is about. often too late, just to clean up the gore apparently.

beetle

Catweazle
15-11-2004, 05:52 PM
Darnit. I had a nice big post typed up about this subject, when I read moderators exhortations to keep answers to a simple yes or no/agree or disagree. Oh well...

Ok. I agree that 'moderator' has to be tougher.

I disagree highly with the idea of closing the forum down for a while. I, like a lot of others, have found a wealth of information here and I think it would be highly unfair to punish the many, for the transgressions (well-meaning or otherwise) of the few.

Catweazle

TonyF
15-11-2004, 06:01 PM
A busy Forum I use ( 188 online right now) says this :-

"DIYAUDIO GROWING PAINS

Recently there has been a lot of discussion regarding diyAudio's growing pains. The thrust of the arguments have been twofold:

1) That the quality level of discussions is being watered down by off topic and garbage posts
2) That the level of peer respect is being worn down by impolite and inconsiderate users.

To address these two concerns the rules below have been created to serve the community, and will be enforced by a team of moderators who care deeply about the health and future of diyAudio.

FORUM RULES

1) No personal attacks or bullying. If you disagree with what someone is saying, then present a mature and intelligent case to prove otherwise. Malicious intent will not be tolerated. What you do over private email is one thing, what you do on our forum is another.

2) No offensive language. Sure, most of us use four letter words in normal conversation without too much thinking, but this forum is about thinking. Words are the clothes in which thought is dressed. And luckily, these threads are cheap (pun intended) so please choose language that reflects the quality of your ideas.

3) No threadjacking. Threadjacking is the practise of stealing another's thread by posting off-topic replies such that the original topic becomes diluted or lost. Off-topic posts, and even more importantly replies to off-topic posts, are welcome, but should also address the original thread topic.

Some of the greatest discussions have come as a result of off-topic replies. If something interesting does arise that warrants further discussion then continue your discussion privately over email, or even better start a new thread and link to it. This rule will of course be used with discretion."

Reads well to me. Folk get popped into a Sinbin for a week or so, with the reason posted on the Forum. As a result, no personal abuse of the sort under discussion.

Cheers Tony

Biggles
15-11-2004, 06:06 PM
Chaps - that seems like a fairly clearcut consensus.

A few points.

1] Second user mod will be activated in a very short time.

2] New forum software is being rolled out, hopefully before the end of the year if everything can be organised. It will be Vbulletin (http://www.vbulletin.com/). Anyone familiar with Vbulletin will know it includes post editing (yay), and private messaging (double yay). Once in place users will be expected to use private messaging to conduct ongoing perosnal "debates" that don't need to be in a thread. Especially if a mod asks you to do so.

3] I'm very keen on creating a "general " or "off topic" forum as part of the new set up so that F1 can get back to being more focused.

george12
15-11-2004, 06:15 PM
Sounds good Bruce

Catweazle
15-11-2004, 06:24 PM
Excellent idea, Bruce. I was going to suggest an off-topic board, and perhaps, a complaints board. (For some reason, there is always someone willing to complain about something. This would give them a focal point, as well as being quite -ahem- entertaining to read.)

Can't wait to see how the new forum turns out now... :D

Catweazle

george12
15-11-2004, 06:29 PM
For some reason I am addicted to the interface of the current Jive forum, and it will be sad to see it go.

But all for the best.

Also, has anybody SEEN the home page of this forum lately! The rubbish topics have all but disappeared, to be replaced by actual helpful stuff. It's great, I'm happy.

:D

George

agent
15-11-2004, 07:30 PM
Nice to hear of a change, though I do like the way there is only one forum here as such, rather than splitting posts into computer-related and off-topic posts.

Regarding vBulletin though, will we have the opportunity to disable images, avatars, and signatures? And the privacy of lurkers which is so well afforded here - will users be hidden by default in the "who's online" list, and you opt yourself in?

stu120404
15-11-2004, 07:40 PM
> Regarding vBulletin though, will we have the
> opportunity to disable images, avatars, and
> signatures?

Yep :) ( I have used vBulletin (& phpbb) before, so I know ;))

>And the privacy of lurkers which is so
> well afforded here - will users be hidden by default
> in the "who's online" list, and you opt yourself in?

Yep, I think that can be done :)

stu120404
15-11-2004, 07:54 PM
Here are a few screen shots of the vBulletin user Control panel

http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/vb1.jpg

http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/vb2.jpg

http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/vb3.jpg

& I can tell you as a matter of fact that the upgrade/ move over to vBulletin will be a VERY Big Step for Press F1!

agent
15-11-2004, 08:08 PM
Well those screen shots are newer than the vBulletin I've used, but what I actually wanted to know was whether we will be allowed to disable the sigs, images, and avatars.

Anyhow, thanks for that.

somebody
15-11-2004, 08:08 PM
vBulletin looks good. Will our accounts from here be automatically transferred over to the new forum, when it is implemented?

stu120404
15-11-2004, 08:12 PM
> Well those screen shots are newer than the vBulletin
> I've used

Yeath that is vBulletin 3.0.3

> but what I actually wanted to know was
> whether we will be allowed to disable the sigs,
> images, and avatars.

That’s a Good question or even if they will turn them on?, IMO I would not think that they would turn them on since we don’t have them here?

> Anyhow, thanks for that.

You are welcome :)

stu120404
15-11-2004, 08:15 PM
> vBulletin looks good. Will our accounts from here be
> automatically transferred over to the new forum, when
> it is implemented?

I would think that would depend if they can find a Jive to vBulletin converter or if some one at IDG writes one or just to start from scratch again & just keep this site as an archive…..

Biggles
15-11-2004, 08:18 PM
I think most of these are admin options - I think we'll probably disable avatars and sigs and in-forum images.

We are having a debate on bringing user accounts across. I'm personally in favour of forcing everyone to re-register and thereby actually agree to a set of rules of conduct as part of registration. I'm also in favour of forcing everyone to provide a valid email as part of the registration. Contray to popular belief, we have never and will never use email addys provided for PressF1 as part of any mail list - all the junk emails provided just cause problems when it comes to contacting people. Both these things are standard practice for forums, but I'm so far on the minority about the both things.

Biggles
15-11-2004, 08:20 PM
>I would think that would depend if they can find a Jive to vBulletin converter or if some one at IDG writes one or just to start from scratch again & just keep this site as an archive…..

The guys at VBulletin are writing a converter for Jive for us.

Desperado
15-11-2004, 08:21 PM
Bugger,and i just re-registered.

stu120404
15-11-2004, 08:26 PM
> >I would think that would depend if they can find a
> Jive to vBulletin converter or if some one at IDG
> writes one or just to start from scratch again & just
> keep this site as an archive…..
>
> The guys at VBulletin are writing a converter for
> Jive for us.

Nice :)

stu120404
15-11-2004, 08:27 PM
> We are having a debate on bringing user accounts
> across. I'm personally in favour of forcing everyone
> to re-register and thereby actually agree to a set of
> rules of conduct as part of registration. I'm also in
> favour of forcing everyone to provide a valid email
> as part of the registration.

I have to agree with you there Bruce, that might be a smart move :)

Raikyn
15-11-2004, 08:29 PM
All forums (apart from this) I've used have required a valid e-mail. With the amount of free e-mail options out there it doesn't do anything to stop alias' though.
Probably the only people who don't want to re-register are those in love with their post count, although there could be an issue with some unscrupulous people taking others names :)

somebody
15-11-2004, 08:30 PM
Sounds good - but it'll be interesting to see what happens with people registering under other's names (ie. people registering as you, Chill etc. in.... was it George's forum?? - can't remember)

Desperado
15-11-2004, 08:31 PM
Small avatars and text sigs add a bit of personaility to a forum (and colour) without affecting bandwidth or load times.

Can't they be left enabled?

I can understand the logic in not having imaages allowed though.

Biggles
15-11-2004, 08:34 PM
We had that issue when we swapped last time - everyone had to re-rister then. It's not a problem if everyone is sensible (hahahahahaha what am I saying?). Barring that, it can be resovled with suitable emails to me with proof of identity..

Still - we still haven't 100% agreed on doing this. (the re-registration)

I'm off to shoot down dive bomber in my P40 now ...

http://www.deadman.co.nz/images/pf/p40-val-3.jpg

supergran
15-11-2004, 08:34 PM
Agree that it is tough enough.

J ZEP
15-11-2004, 08:44 PM
;-) Sounds interesting, vbulletin looks quite impressive ;-). Not that i have any prob with it the way it is, but theres nothing wrong with a bit of change :-).

andrew93
15-11-2004, 08:57 PM
Agree - not tough enough

Tristan Speak
15-11-2004, 09:11 PM
Agree (get tougher). Looks like a consensus.

Lets stop the bickering and do what the forum was originally designed to - help people!

fairway
15-11-2004, 09:16 PM
Freedom of speech is the most protected of all rights... I disagree

Responsability and accountability is a better way,

that and amusement.

agent
15-11-2004, 09:24 PM
I'm sure there would be a way of transporting all the accounts over, but having them disabled until you go through a quick verification process, involving an agreement to adhere to the new rules.

fairway
15-11-2004, 09:31 PM
If you are a little more responsable... and a wee bit more integrity you do not need more rules ..
This thing is starting to sound like a Labour caucus.. geeezzzeee!

nzStan
15-11-2004, 09:38 PM
> If you are a little more responsable... and a wee bit
> more integrity you do not need more rules ..
> This thing is starting to sound like a Labour
> caucus.. geeezzzeee!

Well based on why this thread was created today, do you think that people were responsible enough, in respect to the use of this forum?

fairway
15-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Sorry, I don't Judge people .. but I am old enough to watch children play.

I enjoy everyone and all, a difference of opinion is what makes us what we are, which gives such diversity of information.

I think. Perhaps I should talk more.....

exLL
15-11-2004, 10:31 PM
>Agree (get tougher). Looks like a consensus.

>Lets stop the bickering and do what the forum was originally >designed to - help people!

I agree.

Laura
15-11-2004, 10:54 PM
Yes, I've already done my vote - but as people are now adding opinions/questions...

The technical aspects of changing systems are beyond me ( as I suspect they are for many forum users who know this one only ) but I agree with agent's views about carrying over some things & changing others - if that can be done?

I came here late last year totally ignorant about computers.
I'm still a newb compared with most here - and the teenagers run rings around me with their knowledge - but I could never have learned as much as I have in the past 13 months without the help of the long-termers who've been here since June 02's changes - and even before.
It seems a pity they should lose their post tallies because of recent silly stuff from others (who're often people who think that totals alone count more than real questions or actual advice given).

My own tally has more than its share of replies to the O/T posts. I've asked far more questions that I've had the knowledge to answer. So my post count doesn't relate at all to my expertise.
But for our long-standing helpful people (& regulars know who they are) it really does show their commitment to the forum. They post heaps of answers & very few questions.
It's a badge of honour. Sad if you took it away...

(As for the guarantee of good conduct - go for it.
And as for " the valid email address " - I was such a newb when I joined, I didn't even know there was any option to my Outlook Express address. Watching the aliases come & go here has educated me)

Raikyn
15-11-2004, 11:16 PM
Since I didn't actually vote ealier I say agree

What freedom of speech got to do with it. It's a forum and the owner of the forum decides what he wants in it. If it ends up only a self-help forum without any OT then so be it. The OT stuff usually helps bind the community though.

Chilling_Silence
16-11-2004, 06:53 AM
Fairway:
That'd be fine if people actually did behave - But I'll be honest and say we've had more than a fair share of down-right pricks pass through these pages over the past few years...

Laura:
Sure it would be a shame to see a good 8 <-> 9k of posts get flushed, but hey.. New forum, fresh start... End of the day does it really matter?!
Realistically all it says is that I can talk my mouth off, Or that Im big headed, or that I have a lot to say, or lastly (and hopefully the correct one) that I have a lot of knowledge and am more than happy devoting time/effort to sharing it with others.

Bruce:
Just make sure you update the server before installing the software, Apache and a few other things look out of date....

Chilling_Silence
16-11-2004, 06:59 AM
I like the idea of a confirmation email, that takes them to the T&C's page:

By clicking the "I agree" button, you agree that your soul is no longer yours, but the sole property of IDG Communications NZ Ltd.
Should you act up, hassle other members, or simply bug one of the Mods, we will take that soul and snap it like a pencil.

[I Agree] [Try again]

]:)

agent
16-11-2004, 07:20 AM
There's a nice document on Apache's website about why Apache v2 should only be used on Windows.

I can't seem to find it now, so perhaps the situation has change, but it should be there somewhere. The reasoning was that v2 introduced threading on non-*nix platforms, but Linux et al could already handle that, v2 didn't provide any performance benefits over v1.

Pete O\'Neil
16-11-2004, 07:29 AM
Avatars and text sigs would add character to the forum, it would be unfortunate if they were turned off. Agree though that you should do away with pictures, they suck bandwidth.

Biggles
16-11-2004, 07:44 AM
Well I love avatars and sigs too - but it does add another potential area for - well the "pricks" - to cause problems. Example - someone gets annoyed that they have been banned so promptly re-registers and puts a pornographic image in as their avatar. I'm afraid that my experience with the handful of troublemakers - and let's remember that of all the people who use PressF1 it really has been a comparative handful who have caused so much trouble for the rest - means I'm now very cautious about introducing anything that has the potential for abuse.

I've been a long-time member of other forums - most of them game ones - and I've only seen a fraction of the problems on those forums that we've had here in the past couple of years. Funnily enough one forum I frequent, which had zero proeblems for years, basically melted down after 9/11 because it of "political" discussion. In the end they created a separate unmoderated forum and told everyone to rant in there, just to rescue their normal off-topic forum.

Another forum had similar problems and just closed down that section altogether. People do have a way of trashing things done with the best of intentions.

Pete O\'Neil
16-11-2004, 08:17 AM
perhaps you could consider making them avaliable at a later date when the forum becomes a friendlier place? Surely the extra moderation and new forum features will do some good.

Mike
16-11-2004, 08:53 AM
> Agree.
> But I don't like being monitored by some anonymous
> person. How come the "chosen few" are permitted to
> know?
> Jack ;\

Uh Jack... how many people from this forum do you actually know? and how many people here use their real names? Using the name "Moderator" or using the name "Chilling_Silence" both give anonymity. Or do you want to be able to view "Moderator"s posts against what he says with his "real" identity? But then if he wants to say something nasty he could have always created another login to post that which may seem out of character. Whatever is said/done, this forum is an anonymous forum.

Mike.

george12
16-11-2004, 08:56 AM
I think, definitely send the users and old posts across, or perhaps just the posts since a certain date.

BUT, make the converter set a 'disabled' flag on all the users, and when they go to the site, they must agree to the new rules, and provide a real e-mail address. Then the 'disabled' flag goes, and they are a good old user again.

Shouldn't be too hard Bruce ;). And don't forget to sticky my IRC server on the new forum!

Cheers George

Mike
16-11-2004, 09:00 AM
> across. I'm personally in favour of forcing everyone
> to re-register and thereby actually agree to a set of
> rules of conduct as part of registration. I'm also in
> favour of forcing everyone to provide a valid email
> as part of the registration. Contray to popular

A big problem with this is for people genuinly coming here for help... What if they require help regarding an email issue? What if they don't have an email address? We don't want to make it too difficult for people to ask their questions (which is the main reason for this forum to start with, isn't it???)

Mike.

Mike
16-11-2004, 09:03 AM
Strongly agree.

Mike.

Biggles
16-11-2004, 09:08 AM
>What if they require help regarding an email issue?

That's true Mike, good point.

Mike
16-11-2004, 09:14 AM
> >What if they require help regarding an email issue?
> That's true Mike, good point.

We don't want to make it too hard, too intrusive, or too involved for someone coming here for the first time wanting a solution to some computer problem, who might never be back after its solved anyway. We need it to be easy for the new users to get help.

Mike.

Chilling_Silence
16-11-2004, 10:00 AM
True...

Not that Ive signed up recently, but I liked that it was nice and easy/simple! :-)

Chilling_Silence
16-11-2004, 10:05 AM
Hmm... I think you have a point Bruce about the potential for many to become pricks, but I too have the "potential" to be one of them..... ;-)

Personally I'd say why not give it a shot and nuke it if it doesnt work out.....

beetle
16-11-2004, 10:06 AM
I too like the interface we currently have, i have never been great on change at any level.

and as far as reregistering, id stick with beetle, why change for change's sake for me?
wouldnt be the same without the name, pf1 wouldnt be the same if some people changed their names.

the only thing i think id be disapointed in is, lack of post count, but mine is to remind of how many problems i had, to get this far, to remind me of my years with the lemon, and the woe i had.

including to remind me of the amazing help and guidence i have had from you guys here on pf1, and to also reflect the many stuff ups and learning i have had on the way to where i am now, and of course quite a few OT posts, replys.

The mods in my opinion should have been here a long time ago, but hindsight is a great thing, and really i was thinking if i had never started training i would never have needed a comp and would never have known most of you guys. scary thought.

PF1 will get by, and the regulars and the supporters will stick with it, and the rest may slowly decline, hopefully the change does not lose the original essence of the place and the help, guidence and chuckles we have here.

beetle

POTUS
16-11-2004, 11:01 AM
> about the potential for many to become pricks,

No wonder this place is in such a state when the moderators use this sort of language.

Biggles
16-11-2004, 11:18 AM
I think you'll find POTUS, that we mods have contributed a lot less to problems here than say people who start idiotic threads winding up other users. The ice is thin, and your blades are sharp.

POTUS
16-11-2004, 12:07 PM
I was only concerned about the bad language. This forum is riddled with it! Certainly not PG! If you want to appeal to your full range of readers you'll have to sort that out.

You will need more to fix the problems than a couple of volunteer mods and new software.

But I'm sure you won't like that cristsism.

george12
16-11-2004, 12:22 PM
> I was only concerned about the bad language. This forum is riddled with it! Certainly not PG! If you want to appeal to your full range of readers you'll have to sort that out.

I quite honestly think that the content of what people say can be/is a lot more potent than the occasional 'sh*t'.

We are all either mature adults or mature teenagers, so I think one thing that would fix everything is if we could just overlook a post we didn't like, rather than getting angry and abusing the other person.

But I guess you do have a point - sort of. Perhaps the mods could think about a swear word filter, but make it mild - I don't think things like "bugger", "screwed", etc should be banned.

There are some people that are easily offended, and we don't want to ruin the forum for them. But there are also people who would get offended when their "Oh bugger, my screen exploded!" got censored.

I personally have not noticed any overly bad language, but obviously POTUS has, and we want the forum to appeal to him, don't we!

> You will need more to fix the problems than a couple of volunteer mods and new software.

I personally think getting rid of WTF fixed a lot of our problems. Mods and a 'report bad post' feature will fix all the problems I see today. Except of course for those who should rightly be called
'pricks' - people like p_queen (or whoever that really is).

George

POTUS
16-11-2004, 12:30 PM
> 2) No offensive language or user names (phonetic spellings included). I don't need to spell this out, just use common sense -- this isn't an adult-only forum.

From Bruses own rules. And he got grumpy with me for pointing it out!?

olldaddy76
16-11-2004, 01:23 PM
Agree.....

Biggles
16-11-2004, 01:42 PM
>But I'm sure you won't like that cristsism.

I think that starting a war with me over the use of the word "prick" when I have have to put up with so much ..... annoyance ... from some of you in the past few months is verging on the incredibly petty and NOT very helpful at this point. You yourself, with this ridiculous thread:

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=53401

don't exactly have the track record that is going to make me take any criticism from you very positively.

Thanks for you very helpful tips on how none of the work several people here are trying to do to help things improve here will do any good. You have no idea how wonderful it is to put in hours of work dealing with this stuff only to have helpful comments like that. You have no idea how great it makes me feel, when I have gone out and advocated a change to new software that will offer us both improved user and moderation features, to hear that it will do no good. It really makes my day. Thanks a bundle. I guess I keep my potty mouth in check next time.

POTUS
16-11-2004, 02:01 PM
Why the heck are we all so touchy these days?

> I was only concerned about the bad language. This forum is riddled with it! Certainly not PG! If you want to appeal to your full range of readers you'll have to sort that out.

> You will need more to fix the problems than a couple of volunteer mods and new software.

i must say, Bruce, that I didn't expect such a tirade from you in responce to my comments. If I offended you, I'm sorry. The point I was trying to make was that it's people that are the problem here, not software. Although I agree that it would be nice to have a newer interface. Your own rules forbid the use of offensive language, yet you defend a moderator who uses it. How can the moderator then moderate such actions by others?

You cite my topic http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=53401 as being particularly problematic, yet it removed the argument from the topic it was in and broke no rules. I started the topic to highlight my frustration to being attacked by another member... yet again. Perhaps people just don't like the truth!

J ZEP
16-11-2004, 02:02 PM
> and as far as reregistering, id stick with beetle, why change for change's sake for me? wouldnt be the same without the name, pf1 wouldnt be the same if some people changed their names.

Im with Beet there;-). I'd like the usernames to be able to be taken over to the new forum, but i guess it would be no biggee having to reregister under the same name (for those of us who chose that option, if it were available). Post count isn't a big issue with me ;-), however for those of you with big counts it could be ;-).
IMO I would be more concerned about keeping user "Names", i enjoy knowing the usernames/people that have become so familiar :-)..., some of us having the same names from the previous forum upgrade ;-) and in Beetles words:-
>>"pf1 wouldnt be the same if some people changed their names."

> hopefully the change does not lose the original essence of the place and the help, guidence and chuckles we have here.

Ditto :-)

Chilling_Silence
16-11-2004, 02:04 PM
> I think that starting a war with me over the use of
> the word "prick" when I have have to put up with so
> much ..... annoyance ... from some of you in the
> past few months is verging on the incredibly petty
> and NOT very helpful at this point. You yourself,
> with this ridiculous thread:
>
> http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread
> 53401

Hey I got offered 75 bucks to delete that thread and Potus.....

Thanks guys for the couple of GMail invites - I'll email Bruce & Jen and we'll see what happens with the invitations!
So, thanks to R.N, P.H, and D.R for the invites... I'm gonna let them sit tight for a bit :-)

Chris Randal
16-11-2004, 02:26 PM
I would like to see a signup system similar to that of Grisoft.

You send them the registration form and they send you back a password. The ability to change the password to one easily remembered would be available.

I have in mind that IDG could then restrict the signup to ISP email addresses - no Yahoo/Gmail/Hotmail addresses, and require full names in the registration form. Aliases such as beetle and chilling_silence would still be acceptable but full names and a paid email address would be an absolute requirement.

(That is what I was going to discuss with you, Bruce - when I sent my email)

stu120404
16-11-2004, 04:21 PM
> I have in mind that IDG could then restrict the
> signup to ISP email addresses - no
> Yahoo/Gmail/Hotmail addresses,

That is the most stupid thing I have hear, don’t you know of a thing called “Spam Bots"?!?!, that is why People like me use Yahoo/Hotmail/Gmail address so that they ISP/work address does not get spamed.

POTUS
16-11-2004, 04:26 PM
> That is the most stupid thing I have hea

That's exactly the sort of thing that starts arguments. Stu120404, do you think there is another way of saying that without calling him stupid?

agent
16-11-2004, 05:12 PM
Note the difference between "You are the most stupid..." and "That is the most stupid...".

All we really need is email address verification, but as has been pointed out, that may pose problems for users having trouble accessing their email in the first place.

andy
16-11-2004, 05:20 PM
agree

Jen C
16-11-2004, 05:22 PM
> All we really need is email address verification, but
> as has been pointed out, that may pose problems for
> users having trouble accessing their email in the
> first place.

Most, if not all ISP's do have webmail available which can be used in the event of an local email problem. But would people think of this alternative option at the time?

Chilling_Silence
16-11-2004, 05:29 PM
Good point.....

What are the main reasons for wanting Email Address Verification anyway? How hard is it go get *@domainname.cjb.net or the likes......

agent
16-11-2004, 06:00 PM
Because it provides security that there is a fixed point of contact that moderators can use?

Doesn't really help that you could just temporarily add another email alias to, say, your Orcon account, and delete it as soon as your account is activated...

Murray P
16-11-2004, 07:13 PM
Agreed.

&gt; Because it provides security that there is a fixed
&gt; point of contact that moderators can use?
&gt;
&gt; Doesn't really help that you could just temporarily
&gt; add another email alias to, say, your Orcon account,
&gt; and delete it as soon as your account is activated...

One way around it would be for people who are emailed by admins/mods and it bounces x times get their identity terminated (maybe disabled would be a kinder reaction, just in case).

The email addys don't need to be located where spam bots can get them. From my experience you only get spammed from addys that are posted online, not ones that reside in a data base on a server.

I'd like to take my current ID with me, but if it can't be done, phzzzzzt. It could be useful for new users to get an idea of longevity, I often look at that in forums to gage the experience of the user, along with what they're saying. It's not hard and fast though, just another possible indicator of worth.

Murray P

Chilling_Silence
16-11-2004, 08:04 PM
> One way around it would be for people who are emailed
> by admins/mods and it bounces x times get their
> identity terminated (maybe disabled would be a kinder
> reaction, just in case).
Im sure Mary would love that :-)

> The email addys don't need to be located where spam
> bots can get them. From my experience you only get
> spammed from addys that are posted online, not ones
> that reside in a data base on a server.
Same here... or post it in a way that's not normally readable, like:
Chilling _ Silence @ Mydomain dot co dot nz
people can put the puzzle pieces together....

> I'd like to take my current ID with me, but if it
> can't be done, phzzzzzt. It could be useful for new
> users to get an idea of longevity, I often look at
> that in forums to gage the experience of the user,
> along with what they're saying. It's not hard and
> fast though, just another possible indicator of
> worth.
I do too, especially at places like forums.gentoo.org where there's a myriad of experience.

At the end of the day though, those with High post counts shouldnt have too hard a time regaining a small number....
That's kinda why I like rating systems, but simply find they take up too much time to be viable for me to bother with filling in :-(

tedheath
16-11-2004, 08:20 PM
dIsAgReE

The IDG/pressf1 moderators are fine and do a good job its all the clayton moderators that suck. They must troll through every post so they can whinge about something. Do I know whinging when I see it, I was on RNZN ships for 10 yrs and about 20% of the complement was poms.

tedheath

ninja
16-11-2004, 11:07 PM
IDG should probably put some kind of disclaimer on the registration page that non-staff now have access to members personal information.

E-mail addresses, IP addresses and the like - has the potential to pose some privacy issues.

drb1
16-11-2004, 11:43 PM
> IDG should probably put some kind of disclaimer on
> the registration page that non-staff now have access
> to members personal information.
>
> E-mail addresses, IP addresses and the like - has the
> potential to pose some privacy issues.

Moderators need to be tougher,

Email add to isp, Alises, waste of time and money.

Also the black dressed one has a very valid point.

D.

Chilling_Silence
17-11-2004, 06:31 AM
Yes tedheath,

I have nothing better to do with my time than whine about posts made on an Online Forum....

Not only am I working my ass off at work at the moment, between three jobs, but im also trying to learn programming.

Ive never been in the army, military, navy, whatever..... But I see enough trash talk here to make up for it.

tedheath
17-11-2004, 08:44 AM
When I siad Clayton moderator I meant moderators without the black chess pawn looking thing.

tedheath

Terry Porritt
17-11-2004, 09:08 AM
I know I shouldn't respond as it just adds fuel, but.....

>> The IDG/pressf1 moderators are fine and do a good job its all the clayton moderators that suck. They must troll through every post so they can whinge about something. Do I know whinging when I see it, I was on RNZN ships for 10 yrs and about 20% of the complement was poms.

It is just that sort of remark (and I wont qualify it with an adjective), which generates trouble.

It has now stirred Chill, (even though he made have misread it) and that is the very first time ever on PF1 that I've seen Chill react like that.

I'm a 'Paper Kiwi' too, and I dont 'troll' through posts looking to whinge, in fact this must be my very first whinge as such :) I dont know of any other 'Poms' on PF1 trolling and whingeing either.

The remark is quite without foundation and has no logic behind it.

Now for a question Ted.

When I first came to NZ nearly 30 years ago there was all this mention of 'Clayton'. The only Clayton I knew about was the English firm that made steam generators and boilers.

I asked around and no one could tell me what they meant even though they were using the word.

So what does it mean?

John H
17-11-2004, 09:15 AM
Clayton - some years ago a firm brought out a non alcoholic drink that was a poor imitation of whisky (shudder). Jack Thompson, Aussie actor, fronted the commercials that said Claytons was the whisky you were having when you weren't having a whisky. Or something like that. Mercifully the drink died.

Claytons has now come into the vernacular to mean a poor imitation, a meer pretence of the real thing.

Actually I just looked up my NZ dictionary and the slogan said "the drink I have when I'm not having a drink".

John H
17-11-2004, 09:19 AM
Um, that should be "mere", not "meer"!

TonyF
17-11-2004, 09:25 AM
pretence of the real thing.

bit early in the day for the real thing, but a single malt at 5.01 PM ......
Cheers T

Terry Porritt
17-11-2004, 09:30 AM
Thanks John for that explanation, why couldn't I have been told that years ago, been wondering all this time :)

I agree with Ted, it's not a good idea to act as a 'Clayton Moderator' even though the intention may be ok, it just generates more agro, best not to respond at all. Though sometimes the urge for satire and or comic relief is irresistable.

John H
17-11-2004, 09:47 AM
Yes Terry, the intention is not always perceived by the reader - even with emoticons, written posts are frequently misleading.

FYI, the intention of the manufacturer of Claytons was to provide an alternative for people who had problems managing their alcohol intake. In theory they could take a bottle of this non alcoholic drink to a party and appear to be drinking whisky so they would not be hassled by the more macho members of our society if they were seen to be drinking fruit juice or lemonade. Here endeth the lesson ;-)

Chilling_Silence
17-11-2004, 11:37 AM
Oh no Murray, I wasnt getting annoyed - Ive sorta come to the realisation that being a Moderator, Ive got to Moderate. No harm no foul....

And Yes, Tedheath, I can understand what you mean. Ive got a few people who constantly nag at me to get rid of users etc and sometimes it just makes life worse than the users themselves who are disliked by some (Does that make sense).

I may as well just write this:
I cant kill user accounts.

While I would have loved the $75 bribe to remove Potus, I wouldnt have taken it because Ive got one guitly concious that I wouldnt have been able to live with. Quite honestly Im kinda glad that I cant remove users.

Clayton? No idea what it stands for or means, dont really care ;-)
You're right, there are some who are self-appointed Mods who have nothing better to do with their time than insult others and pull them up on minor imperfections that we all have a variety of.... Im still failing to see what the army has to do with this?

Did I not get enough sleep last night? I got more than normal... slept like a log too..... ?:|

Terry Porritt
17-11-2004, 12:42 PM
Oh no !

>>Oh no Murray, I wasnt getting annoyed -

Now everyone will know that Murray P and Terry P are one and the same :)

Murray P
17-11-2004, 01:52 PM
&gt; Oh no !
&gt;
&gt; &gt;&gt;Oh no Murray, I wasnt getting annoyed -
&gt;
&gt; Now everyone will know that Murray P and Terry P are
&gt; one and the same :)

Hell, I'm starting to get a little confused as to my identity. I've always had trouble finding my a***, but could usually rely on getting my name right and knew with pretty good certainty that it belonged to me. Lately though, people have been confusing me with various entities around this forum to the extent that on several occasions I been forced to rush off to the mirror to check that my beautiful face is indeed the one I remember from 1/2 an hour ago B-)

Mind you, our sir names are fairly similar TP, I wonder if yours is derived from ours? ;)

Murray P

Terry Porritt
17-11-2004, 02:59 PM
>>Mind you, our sir names are fairly similar TP, I wonder if yours is derived from ours?

You mean from pottage, that is always lying around making a mess?

>>Im still failing to see what the army has to do with this?

Actually Chill what Ted meant, and I deliberately twisted, (naughty)
was that he knew whingers when he saw them from his experience in the navy where about a fifth ot the crews were Poms, and by implication 'whinging poms'.

I applied the 'logic' all poms are whingers, therefore all whingers on PF1 are poms.

And so coming from pomland I proceeded to take umbrage :)

See how careful one has to be on PF1?

Graham L
17-11-2004, 03:45 PM
You shouldn't take umbrage, Terry. Its a protected species, and you have to get a resource consent to pick it.

Chilling_Silence
17-11-2004, 03:57 PM
Terry I meant, sorry, long day.... Been up since 3am....

Murray, terry, its got a y and two r's in it, isnt it close enough??

My apologies

stu120404
17-11-2004, 04:14 PM
> Terry I meant, sorry, long day.... Been up since
> 3am....

poor thing :|

JimboJones
18-11-2004, 11:46 AM
I thought you were leavign stu?

Stumped Badly
18-11-2004, 05:03 PM
Agree
But why do so many simple threads turn into long ranting, rambling posts & private conversataions that have nothing to do with the thread topic.
Time & time again threads seem to get hijacked & wander off on another tangent.
This place is turning into a home for the disaffected & bewildered

POTUS
18-11-2004, 06:16 PM
> But why do so many simple threads turn into long ranting, rambling posts & private conversataions that have nothing to do with the thread topic.
> Time & time again threads seem to get hijacked & wander off on another tangent.

Perhaps that would be a good time to start another thread, just to continue the conversation elsewhere?

fairway
18-11-2004, 07:32 PM
I read all the posts ... (well nearly all ;-) )

It has proven one thing to me ... plus other things

First one is Why fix what aint broke ?

By changing a system - you think this will change the people it serves?

I enjoy this place .. never a dull moment indeed. :-)

Leave it alone I say This posting is testament to all the right reasons to NOT fix what aint broke.

Laura
18-11-2004, 08:44 PM
fairway:
But surely the number of people who agree the Mods should get tougher means they think ( some aspects ) of the forum ARE broke & do need fixing?

fairway
18-11-2004, 08:56 PM
Yup..
the same stupidity that gave us a labour government

Look at the bigger picture, I hear "the grass is greener on ........" or "a change is as good as a rest " as a poor excuse for being responsable for oneself . This post by Mr Buckman proves beyond doubt that a new "format" will not make people any better or worse than what is.

In the famous words of the woman that left me one morning whilst .....

"Why fix what aint broke"

Winston001
18-11-2004, 09:23 PM
Odd. 143 posts and no-one has defined the topic. Where did you lot go to school ]:)

So what is "tough"? See the following food for thought -

tough > 11 senses
ADJECTIVE 1 tough Not given to gentleness or sentimentality
2 tough, rugged Very difficult
3 tough, toughened Physically toughened
4 tough, sturdy Substantially made or constructed
5 tough, ruffianly Violent and lawless
6 tough, bad Feeling physical discomfort or pain (`tough' is occasionally used colloquially for `bad')
7 tough Tough to cut or chew
8 tough, hard Unfortunate or hard to bear
NOUN 1 tough, street fighter Someone who learned to fight in the streets rather than being formally trained in the sport of boxing
2 tough, hood, hoodlum, goon, punk, thug, toughie, strong-armer An aggressive and violent young criminal
3 tough, bully, hooligan, ruffian, roughneck, rowdy, yob, yobo, yobbo A cruel and brutal fellow
tough > pronunciation
Sounds tah'f
Rhymes aleph, bailiff, bluff, and 37 more rhymes in ahf...
tough > adjective 1
Meaning Not given to gentleness or sentimentality.
Examples "a tough character"
Similar hard-bitten, hard-boiled, pugnacious; tough-minded, unsentimental
See also hard; insensitive
Contrary tender
tough > adjective 2
Meaning Very difficult. Severely testing stamina or resolution.
Examples "the competition was tough"; "it's a tough life"; "it was a tough job"
Synonyms rugged
Similar to difficult, hard
tough > adjective 3
Meaning Physically toughened.
Examples "the tough bottoms of his feet"
Synonyms toughened
Similar calloused, thickened; enured, inured, hardened; weather-beaten
See also rugged; experienced; strong
Contrary tender, untoughened
tough > adjective 4
Meaning Substantially made or constructed.
Examples "a tough all-weather fabric"; "some plastics are as tough as metal"
Synonyms sturdy
Similar to rugged
Adverbs toughly
tough > adjective 5
Meaning Violent and lawless.
Examples "tough street gangs"
Synonyms ruffianly
Similar to violent
tough > adjective 6
Meaning Feeling physical discomfort or pain (`tough' is occasionally used colloquially for `bad').
Examples "he was feeling tough after a restless night"
Synonyms bad
Similar to uncomfortable
Usage colloquialism
tough > adjective 7
Meaning Tough to cut or chew.
Similar cartilaginous, gristly, rubbery; chewy; coriaceous, leathered, leatherlike, leathery; fibrous, sinewy, stringy, unchewable; hempen, fibrous
See also inedible, uneatable
Contrary tender
tough > adjective 8
Meaning Unfortunate or hard to bear.
Examples "a tough break"
Synonyms hard
Similar to bad
tough > noun 1, person
Meaning Someone who learned to fight in the streets rather than being formally trained in the sport of boxing.
Synonyms street fighter
Broader combatant, battler, belligerent, fighter, scrapper
tough > noun 2, person
Meaning An aggressive and violent young criminal.
Synonyms hood, hoodlum, goon, punk, thug, toughie, strong-armer
Broader criminal, felon, crook, outlaw, malefactor
tough > noun 3, person
Meaning A cruel and brutal fellow.
Synonyms bully, hooligan, ruffian, roughneck, rowdy, yob, yobo, yobbo
Narrower bullyboy; muscleman, muscle; skinhead; tough guy, plug-ugly
Broader attacker, aggressor, assailant, assaulter

beetle
18-11-2004, 09:28 PM
W001 do you have nothing better to do on this night ?
No things to write as a lawyer does?
No beloved wife to talk to nicely?
No book to read?

after i saw the first 4 lines i gave up, i have myself written copious lines tonight and over 300 words on this dratted essay, and cannot for the life of me be compelled to read what you have written, posibly others may be innflected by the same thought, Too many words man.

:p
beetle

Winston001
18-11-2004, 09:45 PM
Yes Beet, I did overdo that. My apologies everyone.

I agree with Fairway. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I have visited many forums over the past 2 years. I do not recall one which is as easy to read and use as this one. Often the writing is several points smaller than here, with a blue background.

I positively hate those Avatars and stupid stupid stupid signatures with some wise or smart saying attached. In fact on some forums lately, it is very difficult to sort out the quote, the new message, and the clever signature.

I don't get hot often but I do feel strongly about this. Maybe we need to be able to edit our posts to withdraw heat-of-the-moment words. A button for contacting the Mods. Fine. Even a second place for OT discussions if its really necessary - which I doubt.

Anyway, new software will not change behaviour. That is up to all of us.

Raymondo
18-11-2004, 10:27 PM
Going back to the beginning, I agree that the moderators are not tough enough. I also agree with Potus and Winston - new software aint going to do anything. This is a people problem and enforcement by itself will not fix anything.

The idea of a separate OT forum has some merit but if just a few were to breathe deeply and think before they posted a second forum would not be necessary.

As an aside, Post count has always bemused me. The only time I ever see it used is when a thread turns to worms and someone uses a superior post count as a form of "mine is bigger than yours so there." You don't need post count to tell you when you are getting good advice.

Laura
18-11-2004, 10:44 PM
Winston:
You want to define the topic.
(And did indeed - in finitum, it seemed. I applaud your energy)
So after reading fairway's post, my own again & then yours, I think maybe we should've all defined what we meant as "broke."
Seemingly, the details were different. But there was underlying agreement that PF1 is godzgift.
We may differ about technical/moderator tweaks, but obviously would hate to see major changes in the forum's make-up - merely an improvement in good manners.
Have I got it right?

george12
18-11-2004, 11:56 PM
Talking of Post Count, you'd better start preparing for the big 1000 Laura.

I didn't for my 500 and it was disasterous (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/profile.jsp?user=8906).

But I'm already planning my 750 and 1000 speech even now :D.

Actually, I'm not quite that crazy. Post count isn't important to me either. Yeah...

George

george12
18-11-2004, 11:58 PM
Er, that link should be this (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=53501&q=500%20post#340785).

Cheers

Raikyn
19-11-2004, 12:01 AM
BTW ever six months or so every large forum tends to break down for a week or two.

People saying that the mods are not doing their job.
People saying that the mods are too strict.
People getting banned.
People coming back as aliases.

In the end the people make the forum :)

Laura
19-11-2004, 01:10 AM
Thanks, George
Don't think I'll have a speech. (May not even notice)
But you did give me a chuckle in the small hours...

sarel
19-11-2004, 06:55 AM
agree

sarel

Chilling_Silence
19-11-2004, 08:10 AM
Raikyn:
Best post Ive heard in a while :-) Too right!

viper
19-11-2004, 08:26 AM
> after i saw the first 4 lines i gave up, i have
> myself written copious lines tonight and over 300
> words on this dratted essay, and cannot for the life
> of me be compelled to read what you have written,
> posibly others may be innflected by the same thought,
> Too many words man.

but you expect others to read all of your waffe?
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=53547
^ ^ ^
cannot for the life of me be compelled to read what you have written either, i gave up after the first 4 lines too.

Winston001
19-11-2004, 08:28 AM
Yes Laura, I agree with you completely.

As to the original question? The fact it needed to be asked at all suggests a little more intervention is desirable. But not deleting threads. Editing or removing posts by a Mod is fine with me. Also suspending a member for a week. No harm done and a point is made.

agent
19-11-2004, 08:42 AM
I actually found that information about teamwork quite useful. I've bookmarked it in the expectation that I'll probably need it in the future.

1johnb
19-11-2004, 09:40 AM
Agree

Baldy
19-11-2004, 05:46 PM
I haven't really read all this thread, but honestly, why do you moderators even have to ask the question.
Take the bull by the horn, be your own men and lock/edit threads you think need it.
Us forum members have no say in it anyway

Personally, I am totally against locking/editing threads no matter how bad ~ but obviously as Moderators, you will often see the need to do so.

beetle
19-11-2004, 05:59 PM
Viper.

thats fine i didnt ask you to read it either.
I was just being honest and as i meant over 3000 words not 300 i had had enough words to last a life time, but thought others may have found mine interesting. those who study, or just amusing.

and as i seem to be queen of waffle.... i can waffe if i like.

:^O

it really doesnt bother me that you or others dont read my posts.

and as W001 knows whats happening in some of my life, it wont bother him at this point i didnt read it either.

have a nice weekend all.

beetle

fairway
19-11-2004, 07:26 PM
Wipe your chin winstone ..you're dribbling...

Time to end this one ... eeeeweeee

Peter
19-11-2004, 09:18 PM
Agree.

mark c
20-11-2004, 10:00 AM
Agree.

But. I hope the new forum keeps black txt on white, and....

The same format. That is, not 20 different categories like other forums can never remember where the thread was.

Have a :) wknd everyone.

annie
20-11-2004, 12:14 PM
Disagree

Vince
21-11-2004, 12:24 AM
I agree moderately. Vince

POTUS
22-11-2004, 08:34 AM
"Moderator Definition

At a forum, someone entrusted by the administrator to help discussions stay productive and within the guidelines.

Information

Good moderators are essential for good forums; great moderators are essential for great forums... and the absence of moderators typically leads to ghost towns inhabited only by spam bots.

Basic moderator duties include deleting or modifying inappropriate posts, educating newcomers about forum guidelines, and possibly deleting accounts of repeat offenders. Additionally, moderators may be experts in their field who can help minimize unanswered questions."

I warmly welcome moderation. In fact I would actively encourage it!

However, such moderation should be completely unbiased and non-personal. It should also be consistant. Moderators should not be "above the law", in fact they should be seent to be "whiter than white" for their own credibility.

Surely a moderator should not be seen to break the rules, only to chatise someone else for doing the same.

I aslo believe that a moderator should have the power to edit or delete posts that break the rules. However, I don't believe that any fair tinking person would agree that a moderator should change somebodys post to the point that the meaning changes fundamentally, or it appears to say the opposite of the original post.

This weekend I was involved in two Topics that were locked and I was chatised. In the first one I did not break any rules of this forum, but I accept the moderators right to lock the Topic. The second one I again accept the moderators right to lock the Topic. However I regard the changes to my text by Chilling Silence to be way over the top. It appears that he/she objected to my use of the word gonads, which is slang for testicles - similar to the word bollix or bollox which is regularly used in this forum. In fact Chilling Silence used the swear word "prick" last week, but that seems to be OK. But, as moderator of this forum, it is his/her perogative to edit the post to remove the offencive word. But I do not belive it is right to change "my gonads are bigger than yours" to "my ego is bigger than yours".

I have asked the mods, on several occaisions, to tell me what rules I have broken. But I have yet to get an answer, perhaps because I adhere to the rules. In which case there must be another motive at play?

These are simply my opinions and should be taken as just that, my opinions.

Murray P
22-11-2004, 02:56 PM
> These are simply my opinions and should be taken as
> just that, my opinions.

Right you are Potus, can I express an opinion on your opinions now? Ok here goes, lets see now................. tiddle d dum didledy boo...... rumpty tum tikety bum.......?? nah! having thought momentarily on it, I can't come up with anything worth while to say sorry, nothing non personal anyway. I'll tell you what, I'll just keep my trap shut instead and the forum can go on none the wiser and better off for me having said nothing ;)

Murray P

Tricks_drummer
25-05-2006, 11:46 AM
Well,You know what i think,I told ya to harden up and kick some pootang.

"heir heir"

Overdrive_5000
25-05-2006, 11:49 AM
That was worth bringing this dead thread back for.. not :groan:

Pato
25-05-2006, 01:11 PM
Agree.

Chilling_Silence
26-05-2006, 12:55 AM
This thread is incredibly old, started by me years back.

Im locking it, no need for it to be open, chances are people will just using it to end up flaming

Renmoo
26-05-2006, 01:05 AM
Why can't you just lock all the old threads so that people would no longer be able to add some fire into them?

Cheers :)