PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic - My TV

agent_24
14-11-2004, 09:11 PM
I have just aquired a fairly old (actually good picture quality for it's age, possibly because it was made in NZ) Philips television, model number Z26C512-80.

Either way, I am having a bit of problems with a few of the controls - mainly as I have no manual for it. If anyone has any information to offer on this particular model of TV set, I would appreciate it.

Billy T
14-11-2004, 10:28 PM
Hi Aaron

It would help if you told us which controls you are having problems with and explained exactly what the problem is.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

agent_24
14-11-2004, 11:18 PM
When I switch the set on, from standby or total off, the picture comes up dark, and the brightness and contrast have to be adjusted to make it normal. also volume comes up at about 50%.

There is a button on the front panel called 'preset'. pressing this changes the picture back to dark and puts the volume back to halfway. I assume there is some way to store a user-defined preset, but I can not figure out how to do this.

There is also a button near the tuning buttons marked 'VCR'. pressing this turns a LED at the top marked 'VCR' on or off. the only other noticeable change is the picture 'jumps' slightly.

Also, due to the fact that the remote has been used so much - everything is rubbed off apart from the numbers on the channel buttons. in effect I have no idea what half the teletext buttons are.

Hope you understand what I'm talking about

Jester
15-11-2004, 12:00 AM
Geez, I used to rent these out and installed hundreds in motels and hotels, the memories a bit foggy now... back in 1986 - 89 I think these sets were around, then the 'VIP' range came out - black plastic boxes with speakers at each side and a slot for the remote on the TV ... they were FLASH, and expensive!

Anyway, back to your TV. I think you have to set up your colour, contrast and brightness while still in memory or tuning mode, then press preset then, then lock it in by pressing the tuning memory save button.

The Video light relates to when we used to install video mods on the chassis, otherwise the picture would jump all over the place when watching videos.

They were heavy too - especially the 26" consoles. Yep, hernia at 19 as a result :(

Peter H
15-11-2004, 08:54 AM
There should be a button with a square on it's tip ie tilted - this is the store button on my just deceased one - 25CT8883 - 1989 vintage. Also have a new remote that should work on yours.
Bye

agent_24
15-11-2004, 03:32 PM
Yea, this one's still got a sticker bearing "Accord Telerentals" on the back.

Thanks Jester, I followed your instructions and the preset is now set properly :)

Thanks Peter for the scan (even though it seems to be for a different model, mine doesn't have the diamond button) - but I might take your offer of the remote, my one is falling apart!