PDA

View Full Version : New crashes.. Suspecting HDD

JimboJones
14-11-2004, 04:57 PM
Today my computer crashed 3 times... the blue screen of death appeard saying "beginning dump of physical memory" and then I get continuous HDD activity... This happend before (except for the continous HDD activity).

I pressed the restart button... Computer restarts.... HDD is not detected... Manual shutdown for 30 seconds... boot up computer again. Every thing appears to be fine. then few moments later, the computer freezes and I hear the hadd making a noise... It sounds like its jammed or something... I turn off computer....

Now for the third time. The computer crashed with the blue screen of death.
Message says:

KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR
Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x00000077 (0x000000...... and a whole series of numbers
Begining dump of physical memory

Only thing I did new to my computer is install WinMX and Texporter.

I'm running WinXP Pro... 40GB HDD

Thank you

HadO
14-11-2004, 05:03 PM
If it's new take it back...

If the hard drive is making weird noises it's definately dying unfortunately...

JimboJones
14-11-2004, 05:23 PM
:( It's only 3-4 years old. Anything I can do to prolong my HDD life? Scandisk? Reformat? My HDD are pretty full, only few gigs to few 100MBs left on each partition

HadO
14-11-2004, 05:33 PM
Well if its that old I doubt you'll get any warranty.

Unfortunately once a hard drive starts making "clicking" noises there is nothing you can do to save them...

I would get another HDD as soon as possible to get all your data off it before it dies for good.

The only real thing you can do to avoid them dying is to keep them cool - ie. don't stack them if you have more than one.

Some just last longer than others and theres nothing you can do avoid a death - same with all electrical equipment unfortunately.

If your not worried about the data on the drive you could reformat but if the HDD is dying it wont last long.

Chilling_Silence
14-11-2004, 06:09 PM
Google points to Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prmd_stp_ogli.asp) and says it may also be RAM or your Video Card.

Nighthawk
17-11-2004, 04:37 PM
ouch tim that sounds bad, go to www.sjs.co.nz and find a job!!!!!!!

JimboJones
17-11-2004, 04:44 PM
Sure will. Happy holidays.

JimboJones
17-11-2004, 04:52 PM
... my name is JINBO!! stop calling me tim plz

D. McG
17-11-2004, 09:33 PM
> Unfortunately once a hard drive starts making "clicking" noises there is nothing you can do to save them...

I'm just wondering how many other people out there have a hard drive that sort of sounds like a coffee grinding machine that you'd expect to hear in a cafe (but nowhere as loud). My drive is a Seagate Baracuda 60GB @7200rpm, which came with my original PC Company machine, before I transplanted it to a new self-built system designed to run much quieter. I have noticed the noise since installing it in my new computer, which was in June this year.

Motherboard Monitor reports a case temp of 40C (Vantec 'Stealth' 80mm case fan just installed yesterday, not appearing to make too much difference), processor socket temp of 46C (Soltek NV400-L64 motherboard), and the thermal diode temperature on my Athlon XP 2600+ CPU at 58C - all this in a room with ambient temp. of 25C. I know motherboard sensors can be off by a few degrees, but are these temperatures a cause for concern? Even though an on-die temp of 58-60C is within the operating specs (even at full CPU load), isn't this still a bit too high and affecting the overall case temperature?

More importantly, is my hard drive safe? (And yes, there are a few small issues of reinstalling / refreshing Windows ME from a PC Co. recovery CD-ROM that detects it's running on a 'different' system, even though it's the same hard drive!)

Anyway, is there anything to worry about, or is this HDD squealing noise just something normal for these types of drives?

godfather
18-11-2004, 07:32 AM
Any abnormal noise from a HDD is a cause for concern.

Expecting a long life from a HDD is fantasy these days. They should be treated as a temporary storage medium only.

Your recovery CD's will not be keyed to the HDD, but to the (old) motherboard BIOS so reinstallation may be difficult - or impossible.

HadO
18-11-2004, 10:39 AM
Segate drives are usually very quiet - doesn't sound good.

Your case temp (if the sensors are correct) does seem a little high - but it would depend on where the computer is located - case temp will affect the operating temps of everything inside it... so you cpu temp is being influenced and is running at a hotter than ideal temp.

Usually one input fan at the bottom front and an output fan at the top back will help.

HadO
18-11-2004, 10:41 AM
> this in a room with ambient temp. of 25C. I know...

Open some windows :D

POTUS
18-11-2004, 11:06 AM
> Well if its that old I doubt you'll get any warranty.

3 to 4 years ago most hard drive manufacturers gave lifetime warranties. Seagate have an area on their site where you could key in the serial number and get the warranty information, for instance.

http://support.seagate.com/customer/warranty_validation.jsp

If it is OEM it could be a different story.