PDA

View Full Version : What temp should an athlon 64 3200+ be when idle?

Wilky
14-11-2004, 02:31 PM
I was monitoring my CPU temp, and it said it was 50 degrees, idle. Is this normal? I thought that it seemed a bit hot, so, worried, I powered down and touched the heatsink, and it felt about the same temperature as my arm, around 37 degrees. What temp should the CPU be when idle? Do I have an inaccurate motherboard heat sensor? Because it seems like it, having felt the heatsink and it not feeling anywhere NEAR 50 degrees. My motherboard is an MSI K8N Neo Platinum- do they tend to have inaccurate sensors? Thanks in advance.

mejobloggs
14-11-2004, 02:37 PM
Im not really sure, but my Athol XP 2100 idles at ~ 60 degrees. I think Athlons tend to be hot.

HadO
14-11-2004, 02:51 PM
Wilky - I wouldn't worry about that temp...

The Athlon64 should have a better heat transfer with the flat design than an AthlonXP but they all run pretty hot.

HadO
14-11-2004, 02:54 PM
mejobloggs - your one is pretty hot - that should be idling around 40-50 degrees - depending on room temp...

If the system is running smoothly and not restarting under load then it could just be an inaccurate sensor.

Wilky
14-11-2004, 03:09 PM
I haven't tested it under load yet- I finished building it yesterday and I'm installing stuff still. I'll give it a test under load later tonight. I think Doom 3 should do the trick...

mejobloggs
14-11-2004, 03:14 PM
> mejobloggs - your one is pretty hot - that should be
> idling around 40-50 degrees - depending on room
> temp...
>
> If the system is running smoothly and not restarting
> under load then it could just be an inaccurate
> sensor.

I think it has something to do with my motherboard not supporting the halt command thing. I have installed Cooler XP to try and fix that, and it helped about 10 degrees or something. It idles at about 55 instead of about 65.

HadO
14-11-2004, 03:14 PM
If you've got some type of monitor software that came with your mobo it might be an idea to install it and watch your temp as your installing countless apps etc - this will give you some idea of the load temps - but yeah a good session of Doom3 with the details up high is always a good stress test.

If there is an option to set a maximum temp in your BIOS you should also set this as a failsafe....

What model is your Athlon64? You can get max operating temps from the AMD website for particular models but I would set the max (if possible) well below this... about 20 degrees less...

HadO
14-11-2004, 03:19 PM
I had a 2000+ Athlon XP TBred and it would run 40-45 idle and around 50-55 full load - this is with a multitude of fans and beefy copper heatsink.

It all depends on the room (air) temps, air circulation inside your case, your heatsink etc.

Lower is better but if its not restarting or freezing under big loads it should be ok.

Prescott
14-11-2004, 03:51 PM
its summer time, pc's tend to get a tad hotter during summer.....

Wilky
14-11-2004, 04:01 PM
Huh. After a good 10-15 minutes playing Doom 3 maxed out, the CPU temp went up to 52 degrees. Odd.

HadO
14-11-2004, 04:04 PM
That's very good... but an hour session plus would be more thorough! ;)

JJJJJ
14-11-2004, 04:25 PM
My P4 runs at 27 degrees when idle . Perhaps 30 on a hot day.
Suggest you change immediately. Unless it doubles as a toaster.
Jack ;\

HadO
14-11-2004, 04:28 PM
Yeah - i would recommend a DOWNGRADE - not.

LOL :^O

agent
14-11-2004, 04:55 PM
I would actually recommend doing the Prime95 stress test (available here (http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm#download)), as it compares the results that your CPU produces against values that are known to be correct.

Wilky
14-11-2004, 05:23 PM
I've been running the Prime95 torture test for about 10 minutes- no problems yet :)
My CPU temp is currently at 64 degrees, and the fan is running at 4000rpm to do this. Sound normal?

HadO
14-11-2004, 05:26 PM
Sounds acceptable to me...

Run it for like an hour and if the pc crashes or the temp continues to rise you may need better cooling...

If it doesn't crash and your temp stablises (ie constant temp at full load or a defined high point) then everything is sweet :D

agent
14-11-2004, 07:27 PM
It's been ages since I ran the torture test, but I think I left it going for a good six hours before it finished - I don't really recall.

Wilky
15-11-2004, 06:13 AM
v

Wilky
15-11-2004, 06:15 AM
Ah, crap, I hate it when that happens. Tried to copy the post for crossposting on another forum hit "v" instead of control-c, the same moment as clicking post message!
Anyway, what I said was:

Interesting, after a BIOS update it says that it is 37 degrees, idle. Must have been a glitch in the BIOS.

george12
15-11-2004, 04:52 PM
Ran the torture test,

Came back an hour later, temp monitor at 97 degrees (C) and PC frozen. Slight sizzling noise, PC won't boot now.

:_| - And my Cel 2.4D ran so nicely at 3.53!!!

LMAO :D

Just kidding - it runs at 45 max, 35 idle.

Cheers George

CYaBro
15-11-2004, 04:59 PM
The 2 AMD643200 PC's I built last week both ran about 40 degrees and running stress tests with CPU usage at 100% overnight made the temp rise by only about 2-3 degrees!

Murray P
15-11-2004, 05:01 PM
> LMAO :D
>
> Just kidding - it runs at 45 max, 35 idle.
>
> Cheers George

Surprised you got it up to that temperature George, after all celery's don't exactly do anything do they ;\

Murray P

heni72847
15-11-2004, 05:47 PM
i got an Athon 2000+
runs at 40-43 idle
but around 37-40 in winter

have you tried differnt monitor programs?
my bios' health section seem to increase the temp reading by 20
i now run motherboard monitor 5 and it gives a reading which actually matches yup with the 'touch' test

george12
15-11-2004, 06:54 PM
> Surprised you got it up to that temperature George, after all celery's don't exactly do anything do they

That's right Murray - but I run it without a H/S or fan, so that probably heats it up a bit more. I manually disabled my PSU fan too, and don't have any case fans. The BIOS meter says 118 degrees C, but I don't believe it. I think the mercury thermometer I sellotaped to the core is a bit more reliable.

No, wait - it's fallen off. The sellotape melted :O. Just putting it back now. Oh dear - it went up to 100 then burst, all over my precious Celeron which I run at 3.53GHz (Vcore of 5.5V)...

Now my PC's frozen, damn. Just rebooting it now (I'm on the PC I submerged in oil right now - don't even bother to moniter it's temps - I'm sure they're pretty low. The oil's too hot to touch, but I suppose that's because it dissipates the heat so well.

I can't seem to start up the mercury PC. Seems mecury conducts a bit more than the milo I spilt into the PSU yesterday. No, wait - it's booting! Yes, it's loading Windows. The graphics are all distorted though, I think I sat on my video card while I was using this PC just before (I don't believe in cases, my mobo just sits on the carpet. Sometimes it freezes when I shuffle my feet lots, but it goes fine other than that.

Yes, there's definitely cracks in the Radeon 9800 Pro I sat on. Damn - that cost me a whole $16.95 wholesale!

But the PC got into Windows, not bad for mercury in the CPU pins is it? I don't know how the Radeon card goes though, some of the pins on the VPU are snapped off by 50 kg's of me sitting on it. Appears to be some arcing too, coming from inside the PSU. I *think* that was caused by my idiot brother, who just squirted a jet of water straight into the PSU. The house lights flickered and my modded UPS smoked a bit, but the PC seems to go still.

But then, I think I might have got some wires crossed when I tried to double the 12V rail so my DVD would rip movies faster (32X instead of 16X) - Motherboard Monitor 5 says my +5V line is on 11.97V, and my 12V is on 5.02V. Musta made a slight mistake there :(. I did wonder why my webcam exploded when I plugged it in the USB hole... or was that FireWire? I did have to jam it in pretty tight. But then, it could be when I accidentaly tried to plug my cellphone charger in the USB to charge my CMOS battery, which was flat after I borrowed it to try and power my broken DVD player off it in a power cut.

Only, I'm not sure it was a power cut, it might have blown a fuse when I hooked my hard drive to the light socket to make it go faster (it was only 5,400RPM at 12V, so I figured I could up that to 108,000RPM by hooking it into the 240V. But the HDD went chooooooooooo (pitch getting higher and higher) and then smoke came out of the bottom of it. I tried it the other way round too, but no luck.

Just have to get a new PC I guess, this one's a bit dodgy. Sometimes it crashes randomly when I overclock it past 5GHz, or put the Vcore above about 6V.

I'm thinking of getting a Warehouse PC, then taking out all the good components and selling them to pay for the PC. Then I think I'll by a PC Chips mobo for it off Trade and Exchange, one that can fit those good old Cyrix 486's (I've heard from some very reputable people that although they are only 486's they can outperform a P4 2.8Ghz even at very low (sub 100Mhz) clock speeds, some nice Adata RAM from QMB, my Cyrix 486 33Mhz I use to prop my screen up that extra CM, my home made CD-rom drive (doesn't read, but spins just like a real pro one), and one of those great quality Hyena PSU's. They sound quite powerful.

How does this system sound to you guys?

And just for the record, not a single thing I said in this post was serious.

ON TO THE SERIOUS ANSWER ----------------------------------------------------

I think that 60 degrees is getting quite hot personally, I would be happer around the 40 mark - that seems to be average.

George