PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express 6 Not responding

Brain_Cell_Anon
10-11-2004, 12:45 AM
Hi there!
Straight to the point (as I can't up or download any emails and it's been about a week now :_| ) Outlook Express 6 is "Not Responding". It starts up and seems to start loading everything, but when it appears to start to load the 'Inbox' it stops all activity (screen wise and the RAM use goes off the scale. Machine locked except for the Microsoft 'Three Finger Salute' (Ctrl, Alt and Del).
I've tried uninstalling Internet Explorer and Outlook Express the reinstalling it, same problem.
Is it that I have too many emails and need to delete a few, of which I can't as Express does not respond!!!
Could I use Outlook (I have Office 2003, hence Outlook, but use Express for email) to access the Outlook Express email 'boxes' (would that be 'Importing' them??) and maybe delete a few emails?
Or, what are the files I should be looking for individual emails on the computer? Or for that matter individual email boxes (I have a couple set up for regular senders of emails, plus a message rule to divert any thing from them to there), that I can perhaps back up and put back later??

Hope you can help out there,

Regards,

The Cell :D

Spacemannz
10-11-2004, 07:43 AM
Your ISP email server isnt down/dead is it??

Or getting flooded with useless emails / like spam or something??

This can also happen when email worms are on the rampage. I think this happened to me once, and Ihug.

I would checxk with your ISP (if u haven't yet), to see if email is working at all.

drcspy
10-11-2004, 08:14 AM
get into safe mode you may find you can access the program there and do some housekeeping........

johnboy
10-11-2004, 08:34 AM
Have a look at this page to help find your emails . here (http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/errors.htm#crash)
hth

webwiznz
10-11-2004, 12:00 PM
Ive had this problem with three of my clients machines last week. It was caused by I-Worm/Bagle-AQ.

The various av systems werent coping with it entirely cleanly, and i had to turn off the av system, clean out the inbox, empty trash, compact folders, restart the av which fixed it.

Brain_Cell_Anon
11-11-2004, 01:20 AM
Spacemannz, thanks for the reply.
However, it doesn't even get to connect to the interweb as I have my settings to "Connect when I tell it to." instead of "Connect at loading."
Flooded with emails!? Mmm, could be, but I can't check until it actually allows me to access/view ANY email. As I say, it appears to stop when it tries to load the inbox. I say "appears to stop" as the screen looks exactlly like OE but with a blank place (all white) where the emails should be (right hand pane)>

Regards,

Brain_Cell_Anon
11-11-2004, 01:25 AM
Drcspy, cheers for your reply also.
Now then, at the risk of sounding stupid......... Ok even more stupid! :D safe mode is avaliable by pressing the F10 key on start up, is that correct?
I have a no brand, 'bitsa' computa, but I can try and find out specifics (motherboard details, etc) if needed.

Regards,

Brain_Cell_Anon
11-11-2004, 01:47 AM
johnboy, cheers.
I have that page behind this and am in the process of reading it (well right after I answer this!). Looks promising though.

Regards,

THe Cell :D

drcspy
11-11-2004, 06:35 AM
F8

Brain_Cell_Anon
14-11-2004, 12:36 AM
Cheers drcspy.
I get lost with all the 'F's. And the when we get in to restoreing, is it a disc, is it an 'F' number??

Regards,

drcspy
14-11-2004, 06:04 AM
nope F8 then choose 'safe mode'