PDA

View Full Version : usb removable drive causes computer to freeze

Steel
09-11-2004, 11:01 PM
computer is celeron 733mhz processor,SIS630 chipset on pcchips m756lmrt motherboard,on board lan/modem/integrated graphics.AMI bios and running windows ME.
When i insert a usb micro flash key (128mb www.micro-flash.com)the computer freezes,and does not recognise it!
The same memory key works fine on my other computer (hp pavilion 8850)also running windows me.

The old celeron pc has all the newest drivers installed (that i could find)but still has original bios.I cant figure out whether it is a clash of drivers,or whether its some settings that need to be changed,or maybe i need to flash bios with newer one to support removable drive.
How can i get the pc/windows to recognise the usb drive??

george12
09-11-2004, 11:05 PM
What you need to do for some flash drive / OS combinations, is install the drivers before plugging it in.

Did it come with a driver CD-ROM or floppy disk? If so, insert the disk and follow the instructions in the manual to install the drivers, then plug the flash drive in.

HTH, Cheers George

george12
09-11-2004, 11:06 PM
> The old celeron pc has all the newest drivers installed

Sorry, didn't see that line.

But does that include those that came with the flash drive?

George

Murray P
09-11-2004, 11:07 PM
Have a look at USB Man (http://www.usbman.com/WinME%20USB%20Guide.htm), corny name but lots of good info and links.

What port are you using, off the motherboard, an ad in PCI card or a hub.

Cheers Murray P

Codex
09-11-2004, 11:09 PM
try re-installing drivers, different usb ports, and update any software required to the latest version, lol

Steel
09-11-2004, 11:15 PM
the usb flash key doesnt come with drivers as windows should recognise it as a hard drive,which works fine with my other computer.

the highlander
09-11-2004, 11:35 PM
> the usb flash key doesnt come with drivers as windows should recognise it as a hard drive,which works fine with my other computer.<
Dead right, so that isn't the problem.

The flash drive hasn't been formated ntfs has it ?
System hardware display has no question marks against usb hardware ?
The device isn't write protected ?
Tried it on another win me comp ?

the highlander
09-11-2004, 11:38 PM
This pc chips board (shudder) does it recognise any other usb powered devices ( without external power supply) ?

Steel
09-11-2004, 11:48 PM
The flash drive is recognised by windows me om my HP Pavilion,so its not the formating and its not write protected,also the hardware display doesnt show any problems

Steel
09-11-2004, 11:51 PM
The pcchips old bomb has web cam installed (logitech)which works fine,wonder if it is clashing with flash drive??

the highlander
10-11-2004, 12:10 AM
>The pcchips old bomb has web cam installed (logitech)which works fine,wonder if it is clashing with flash drive??<

Anything is possible but I shouldn't think so

what model flash drive is it ?

george12
10-11-2004, 01:20 PM
Possibly the USB drive is USB2.0 and will only function in this mode, but the PC Chips thing only supports USB 1.1?

Have you tried it in different USB ports?

Also, what kind of freeze - a crash or a full lockup? IE, can you move the mouse at all, and does pressing NumLock toggle the light on the keyboard?

If the system completely locks, it often (but not always) indicates a hardware issue (conflict, or non-support of the device). A crash (mouse can be moved but most of windows is unresponsive) probably indicates a driver-related problem or software-related issues.

Cheers George

Murray P
10-11-2004, 01:28 PM
> Possibly the USB drive is USB2.0 and will only
> function in this mode, but the PC Chips thing only
> supports USB 1.1?

If it is a standards compliant USB device it will simply step down to the slower 1.1 speed.

Murray P

Steel
10-11-2004, 05:24 PM
inserting usb drive causes winows to freeze but can still move the mouse,unpluging the usb drive and ctrl/alt/delete shows msgsvr32 is not responding.if i end msgsvr32 windows returns to normal(only just discovered this).any idea what msgsvr is and why its causing usb drive problems?

george12
10-11-2004, 05:43 PM
> The 32-bit Message Server program is the
air traffic controller of Windows, managing communications
among Plug and Play hardware devices, Setup programs,
and the Windows shell. If MSGSRV32 stops working, you
need to restart and see if you've experienced any damage.
If the problem continues to occur, you may have a serious
system problem

Straight from the internet :)

Seems to be your problem.

Try this from MS. It's targeted for PC Card problems, but describes yours perfectly anyway:

1. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System (if the System icon is not displayed in Control Panel, click the View all Control Panel icons link on the left side of Control Panel).
2. On the Device Manager tab, click the plus sign (+) next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
3. Click USB Host Controller, and then click the Properties button.
4. On the Resources tab, click to clear the Use Automatic Settings check box.
5. Choose a basic configuration from the list that does not cause device(s) to appear in the Conflicting Device List, and then click OK.
6. You may receive a warning message that indicates that Plug and Play functionality is limited by forcing a specific configuration. Click Yes to continue.
7. Click Close.
8. Restart your computer.

It seems the reason is that when you plug the drive in, the IRQ's of devices are 'rebalanced', causing the crash.

HTH, Cheers George

Steel
15-11-2004, 06:00 PM
Well thanks for your help,unfortunately i just tried your idea about changing irq but windows wont let me change it.
I just noticed another posible reason for usb drive not working,sis pci to usb controller and usb root hub are both listed twice in the device manager!!!!
I tried removing both and restarting computer but they both reapear ,i got desperate and even tried a clean install on second operating system(with original hidden)but even with only windows installed both are still duplicated in device manager.
ther are only 2 usb ports and theyre both on motherboard ,so there is only one usb bus!!
HELP!!
IM STUMPED!!

Graham L
15-11-2004, 06:09 PM
You will usually have two USB controllers shown. I've got that, even with only one USB socket. :D

Steel
15-11-2004, 11:41 PM
Yes usualy i would have usb controler and usb root hub,
however i have four !!!usb controler x2 and usb root hub x2,thats not normal,but no idea why or how to fix it,all i started out to do was to get my other computer to recognise the usb removable drive without stalling!!! ?: |