PDA

View Full Version : Filesize limit at 4GB

agent_24
09-11-2004, 09:43 AM
I have been re-coding some movie files to AVI, all of them worked (output 1.3gb or so) except for one on which the convertor stopped at 4gb.

I have read that this can happen on FAT32, but is strange as I have NTFS.

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

Murray P
09-11-2004, 10:02 AM
Yep Fat 32 is limited to 4GB file size and 32GB partition size (actually several TB but artificially limited by MS to encourage NTFS use).

You should not have anyt problem with 4GB when using NTFS, have a look at you encoding programmes settings or specs, it could be alimitation of the programmes itself. Are there any updates available for it?

Cheers Murray P

heni72847
09-11-2004, 10:53 AM
i can't remember clearly but i think it's a limit for the avi file format

you can try mkv or ogm which might be able to handle bigger files
or simply split it

drb1
09-11-2004, 12:03 PM
> I have been re-coding some movie files to AVI, all of
> them worked (output 1.3gb or so) except for one on
> which the convertor stopped at 4gb.
>
> I have read that this can happen on FAT32, but is
> strange as I have NTFS.
>
> If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

Look to the program/file format. I have no problems with files over 4.7g in fat 32.

But Norton gohst religously adheres to the old 2gb limit on the same disk/partition which is 200GB.

D.

Graham L
09-11-2004, 12:16 PM
The 2/4 GB limits which appear are a direct result of using 32 bit integers. 2Gb is the biggest positive number in a 32 bit signed integer; 4GB is the biggest unsigned 32 bit integer.

The limits appears as bugs when programmers don't think. They appear as "advanced features" when idiot programmers don't test for overflow/underflow errors.