PDA

View Full Version : Slow RAM Issue

webwiznz
09-11-2004, 08:56 AM
I bought a new VDATA 256MB 400DDR module which appears not to be performing correctly in a Asus P4V533-MX motherboard (1 ram module) with 2.66GHZ chip.

Tested using both XP Home, and 98se, Windows reports the ram size as 239 MB, which for a start is odd. Aida gives the following test scores:

P4CPU Motherboard Chipset Latency Read Speed Write Speed
This Computer Asus P4V533-MX P4M266A 200.6 ns 1174 MB/s 266 MB/s

These test scores seem to be similar to that of 3 year old hardware. Other benchmark software also shows very weak results.

I appreciate any help you can give.

Peter.

Graham L
09-11-2004, 11:20 AM
The Windows report tells me that you have an on-board video interface, which shares 16MB of system memory. :D

As for the speeds ... DDR's not obsolete yet, so I don't own any of it. :D

webwiznz
09-11-2004, 11:37 AM
Good point about the ram size! Thanks:-)

The reported speed is (just) above my other machine a celeron 500mhz SD133 ram, so im not really at the complaining stage, but its disconcerting to think that the memory read/write speeds are only about a third of what they should be. Aida says a cpu / ram combo like mine should be reading memory at least at 3560 MB/s

Could this just be cheap ram, and i should just get over it, or is the high latency a sign of a dodgy module? I cant find the contact details of the guy i bought it from.

P.

webwiznz
09-11-2004, 02:22 PM
Could it be that the ram is DDR400 when the fsb is 533 Meg? If the ram was matched wouldnt it be DDR266 ram? Or doesnt it matter if the ram *can* run faster?

Lohsing
09-11-2004, 02:35 PM
> Could it be that the ram is DDR400 when the fsb is
> 533 Meg? If the ram was matched wouldnt it be DDR266
> ram? Or doesnt it matter if the ram *can* run faster?

Shouldn't matter... the ram should just clock down.

Perhaps you need to look at whether there are other items such as spyware infecting your PC which could be slowing it down?

Also, have you made sure you have installed all your relevant motherboard drivers?

Lo.

Spacemannz
09-11-2004, 02:46 PM
The memory should be OK for a 533 fsb mobo. I use DDR 400 on a 533 fsb mobo here.

According to the ASUS site this mobo (yours), only supports PC2100 (266), and PC1600

DDR 400 ram is PC3200. This mobo doesnt state that it supports DDR 400 ram.

It might be creating a bottleneck or something?

webwiznz
09-11-2004, 08:09 PM
> Perhaps you need to look at whether there are other
> items such as spyware infecting your PC which could
> be slowing it down?

Its a brand new os install

> Also, have you made sure you have installed all
> your relevant motherboard drivers?

Im pretty sure, yes. Ive done a bit more reading and wondered if someone had been fiddling with the bios settings, so checked the various ram settings in bios. They are all set to default values. Im still puzzled.

the highlander
09-11-2004, 10:43 PM
can you borrow another stick of ram and repeat the test ? Adata ram doesn't have the best reputation (downright crappy)and it could be you have a dodgy stick.

the highlander
09-11-2004, 10:45 PM
Bugger its vdata (I'm going blind) but a quick look seems to indicate this is very cheap stuff
so the advice stays the same.

webwiznz
10-11-2004, 11:15 AM
No mate, your spot on. AFAIK A-data *make* v-data ram...er, i think v-data is their poor cousin. So i guess i got what i paid for at $65.

I heard that 384MB is the optimum ram quantity for win98se so maybe ill pick up a 128M module and test that and later add it to the 256M module. Do they all need to be ddr400 or can i mix 400 and 266 ram?

Pete O\'Neil
10-11-2004, 11:24 AM
Have you tryed flashing to the latest BIOS? What are you timings? You'd be hard pressed to find a 128mb stick of DDR, just buy another matching stick of the same V-Data 256mb you have at the moment. That way if you ever decided to upgrade to a system that have a dual channel memory controller you'll be set.

I wouldnt pay much attention to to Aida memory benchmarks, as long as the PC feels like its performing the way it should. From the infomation youve provided, and without doing a google to confirm it appears that you have an VIA chipset. VIA's attempts to make a P4 chipset werent exactly inspiring.

webwiznz
10-11-2004, 02:33 PM
> Have you tryed flashing to the latest BIOS?

No, asus have a number f newer bios updates. Ill give that a shot.

> What are you timings?

In bios its set to 2.5-3-3-6 however while aida agrees with this for the chipset, but for the dimms it says *says* 3-4-4-8 @200Mhz. I dont get this, as the via chipset can run at 200 or 266, but the cpu is 533 which should clock the memory at 266Mhz, right? As for the 3-4-4-8 its all jargon to me.

> just buy another matching stick of the
> same V-Data 256mb you have at the moment.

Ok.

> I wouldnt pay much attention to to Aida memory
> benchmarks, as long as the PC feels like its
> performing the way it should.

Well it feels ok given that its an upgrade from 500MHZ Cel, however i would have expected the jaggys i get when i move a window (windows set to display contents while moving) to have gone away. They are about the same as the old cel box. OTOH DVDs definately play quicker with less lost frames, but its still dropping some as you can see from the slightly jerky credits. ( id say 2-3 out of 25 cf with 4-6 out of 25 frames formerly. Wouldnt you expect a 2.66Mhx processor to handle MPEG2 decoding?

> From the infomation youve provided, it appears that you
> have an VIA chipset. VIA's attempts to make a P4 chipset
> werent exactly inspiring.

Indeed. VIA VT8751A Apollo P4M266A

Hmm. Thanks alot.

P.

Pete O\'Neil
10-11-2004, 02:55 PM
DVD playback will be more dependant on the video card, rather than the CPU, although 265mb of RAM isnt exactly helping especially under windows.

Those RAM timings should be fine, as the RAM is underclocked.

I cant really be bothered explaining FSB etc Have a read of this (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=49590&message=294341&q=P4#294341) thread. Susan B also posted a useful link in ApeNz recent post in regards to memory have a read of that it appeared to be very factual.

webwiznz
11-11-2004, 08:21 PM
For the sake of completion, on this thread, i thought you might like to know that i got an email back from a-data. They say that "their engineers have determined that there is a motherboard incompatibility issue" and i should return it to the reseller.

Sigh i better start hunting for the damn reciept.

P.