PDA

View Full Version : OT What has happened to our education process

d.murray
08-11-2004, 08:35 PM
Just glancing though the topics on this forum - I'm appalled at the lack of correct usage and spelling of the English language. Typing errors aside the grammar, spelling and other abuses of English as a language is somewhat disappointing. Without an appropriate appreciation of the language there is a worrying future for all.

Sorry, just an old's rant.

metla
08-11-2004, 08:38 PM
I suggest if "proper" english is of interest then you do your best to use it,and not try not to force your views on others.

And i realise that this is rather hard for some people to accept,But because something is important to you doesn't mean anyone else has to give a toss or fall into line.

whtafo
08-11-2004, 08:42 PM
Pretty high and mighty for someone with 12 posts.

There's not much point, I've tried and you only get hammered for it - the level of literacy is terrifying.

whtafo
08-11-2004, 08:43 PM
There's also someone (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/profile.jsp?user=683) you should meet.

Prescott
08-11-2004, 08:46 PM
pppffffftttt, give it up,who cares if you make a silly little spelling mistake, we are only human. but i do see your point is a way because some posters you cant even understand what on earth they are on about :p

whtafo
08-11-2004, 08:49 PM
> i do see your point is a way

I & in

> because some posters you
> cant even understand what on earth they are on about

There was no need to bring up Stu and drb1.

Prescott
08-11-2004, 08:49 PM
> There's also
> [url=http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/profile.jsp?user=683
> someone[/url] you should meet.

muhahaha :D:p

metla
08-11-2004, 08:50 PM
I wonder if stu has emailed Bruce about the replies in this thread yet.....

TonyF
08-11-2004, 08:53 PM
> Pretty high and mighty for someone with 12 posts.

Now where do we get the idea that lots of posts are relevant ?? Some of our most verbose folk generate only slinging-off entries.

The odd spelling error does not matter - it is the views that should count.

but cheers anyway

tony

whtafo
08-11-2004, 08:54 PM
> I wonder if stu has emailed Bruce about the replies
> in this thread yet.....

I wonder if he can decipher it. *rimshot*

whtafo
08-11-2004, 08:56 PM
> Now where do we get the idea that lots of posts are
> relevant ?? Some of our most verbose folk generate
> only slinging-off entries.

I think an obvious extremely limited participation really removes credence from anyone making complaints.

Take spencer for instance - sod all posts, even less of those of any value. Most of them just whining about people - where's the credibility?

TonyF
08-11-2004, 09:04 PM
Some of our most verbose folk generate
> > only slinging-off entries.

But

> Take spencer for instance - sod all posts, even less
> of those of any value. Most of them just whining
> about people

Now there's a good example of what we can do without ...

45South
08-11-2004, 09:40 PM
>Now there's a good example of what we can do without ...
I'm with you TonyF, I also reckon spencer should go!
Only I didn't have the intestinal fortitude to bring it up first.
What do you reckon would be the best way, an email, a petition?
Just let me know & I'll help out with the details

45South
08-11-2004, 09:42 PM
;-)

whtafo
08-11-2004, 09:43 PM
> ...
> I'm with you TonyF, I also reckon spencer should go!
> Only I didn't have the intestinal fortitude to bring
> it up first.
> What do you reckon would be the best way, an email, a
> petition?
> Just let me know & I'll help out with the details

http://www.petitiononline.com/ ?

Incidentally might pay not to check the front page - there's gunna be hell to pay tomorrow.

alphazulusixeightniner
08-11-2004, 10:27 PM
:^O :^O

http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/wtf.jpg

I agree with the original poster though. Grammar and spelling on this forum is especially slack. But as WTF says, you only get hammered for correcting people on it. Most of the time you get the general drift of the post, but if my 14 year old brother can write better than 80% of the posters around here, then that's cause for concern.

mikebartnz
08-11-2004, 10:48 PM
I would have to agree as some post lately have been almost indecipherable.

Steve_L
09-11-2004, 07:46 AM
d_Murray - A few years ago my wife and I were at a parent teacher meeting at the local high school. We mentioned to the English teacher that we were concerned our daughter's poor spelling. The teacher was totally unconcerned, saying that students can use 'spellcheck' on their PCs.

With this sort of attitude in our schools, no wonder standards in English have deteriorated. :^O I am one that would like to see a Basic Standards Exam in all schools, given at around age 14, to check that students can do simple things like read a newspaper, add and subtract, spell, etc. If they fail, they then have to repeat the year. Now for those who will trash this idea, just think of all of the stupid people who vote in elections and work in the retail sector.

MrBeef
09-11-2004, 08:06 AM
apparently newspapers are written at a 9 yr old level

d.murray
09-11-2004, 09:09 AM
I didn't intend to respond but the first two replies seem to demand some answer.
metla - I never mentioned "proper" English, just the use of language that enables efficient communication. When has an observation been an attempt to force my views on others?

whtafo - So one has to have a lot of posts on this forum to make an observation and not be considered "high and mighty". That's a logic that escapes me.

Biggles
09-11-2004, 09:14 AM
>Pretty high and mighty for someone with 12 posts.

Stay away from here. You are not welcome in this forum WTF. Go away, stay away.

45South
09-11-2004, 09:15 AM
>apparently newspapers are written at a 9 yr old level
I used to proof read at a newspaper years ago & I'll tell you what, It seems to me that a lot of the articles in todays papers are "written by 9 yr olds"
The level of spelling, grammar, & story structure are appalling in some rags

Biggles
09-11-2004, 09:19 AM
>I'm with you TonyF, I also reckon spencer should go!
>Only I didn't have the intestinal fortitude to bring it up first.
>What do you reckon would be the best way, an email, a petition?
>Just let me know & I'll help out with the details

I see one more post like tis from you and you're banned. Abide by the rules of this forum or go away.

And I will d lete any idiot threads started complaining about censorship or moderaters. This kind of purile childish behaviour is not welcome on this forum. This is not a free speech forum. Thius is a forum run by IDG Communications Ltd with a very simple and not very restrictive set of rules on acceptable behaviour -- which a small group of you now consistantly ignore. So clear off. I'm fed up with trying to be reasonable about this. No more discussion.