PDA

View Full Version : OT - Medical Question - Sore lower back when digging garden...

John W
08-11-2004, 02:45 PM
Hello there, I spent yesterday digging over the garden, now hace sore lower back, where the spine joins pelvis.

After 20min of digging, Id get a sore back, then If I arch backwards for a few moments I get a bit of relief. If I appy pressure with my thumbs on what appears to be bony protrusions in that area, I get much better relief and allows me to get going again.

Whats causing the pain? a sore-overworked disc in that spot, back muscles that are bonded to that spot or sore skeleton at that location.

Id like to know how to avoid this discomfort in the future as ive quite abit more digging to do in the next few weeks.

Thanks John W

45South
08-11-2004, 03:07 PM
Sorry I'm not a doctor & I can't give you the medical terminology for your discomfort.
But I am a Kiwi bloke & am therefore qualified to give you sound advice on:
>Id like to know how to avoid this discomfort in the future as ive quite abit more digging to do in the next few weeks
"Get the missus to do it"

Graham L
08-11-2004, 03:10 PM
But of course as a "Kiwi bloke" he takes care to give such advice well out of "hearing" of his own wife. :D

45South
08-11-2004, 03:28 PM
Oh yeah!!! :)

whtafo
08-11-2004, 03:34 PM
Don't mess with your health, see a Doctor/Physio/Osteopath.

No one here can or should make anything close to an informed diagnosis based on what you've posted.

annie
08-11-2004, 08:20 PM
Sounds like disc pain, and you need to get your digging technique sorted and the pain settled before you do much more, or you could end up in real trouble with it - see a physio for exercises/technique (remember the 'Don't use your back like a crane' ads - and if it doesn't settle within 3-4 weeks with physio, or gets worse, see a doctor

zqwerty
08-11-2004, 08:24 PM
Start riding a bicycle, it fixed my back and I had suffered all my life.

metla
08-11-2004, 08:29 PM
How much do you want for that bike?

Capt.Hook
08-11-2004, 08:32 PM
Sounds like you've been in the pansie patch to long.

Toughen up.

Hook.

Laura
09-11-2004, 05:58 AM
You've gotta be joking.
Asking for advice about back pain on a computer forum, rather than going to your doctor..?
Surely you know half the world has a bad back - and will tell you about it given a chance?
Mentioning or showing a back problem's the best way I know to meet middle-aged strangers. (From international taxi drivers to my own personal version of a lumbar degenerative disc. )
Seemingly, our human skeleton hasn't completely adjusted yet in evolution to standing upright - as opposed to walking on all fours - so the weaknesses still remain.
Fixing it needs professional help - not joebloggs netsuggestion.
(If we have any Creationists here, who don't believe in evolution, sorry I can't quote the biblical verse for fixing back pain.)

Steve_L
09-11-2004, 07:31 AM
After the doc and physiotherapist ;) , go to the gym and get fit. Or if you have plenty of self discipline, to crunches / sit ups (bent knees). You will find that increasing abdominal strength will help back problems. Obviously it will be good to do exercises and stretches for the back area.

BTW, it would help if you were to give your age and general state of health. A lean 20 yr old is quite different from a 45 yr old with a beer belly.

And you will be Googling for really good advice, right? :^O

Lohsing
09-11-2004, 08:18 AM
A sore lower back can sometimes result from weaker abdominal muscles. That said, without seeing how you actually dig your garden, i couldn't comment... reason being, it could also be just poor posture and technique.

My suggestion is, go see your doctor in the first instance. Do some ab crunches and other ab work to strengthen your abdominal muscles.

And lastly, stretching before digging might also help out.

But definitely take advice from your doctor first.

Lo.

45South
09-11-2004, 08:20 AM
>45 yr old with a beer belly.
mmmmmm....beer......

Jester
09-11-2004, 11:18 AM
I can't believe someone has asked this, here rofl.

I have a few bikes spare. Going cheap. The kids don't use them and just leave them outside in the rain anyway.

My garden needs digging too. Maybe I hould hire a cyclist.

Rob99
09-11-2004, 11:26 AM
I would rub a little Arnica cream in.

Graham L
09-11-2004, 12:32 PM
Of course, back pain is what keeps physiotherapists, osteopaths, and to a lesser degree "doctors" in their fancy cars. ACC love it. ;-)

The most likely cause of the pain is the well known syndrome known as "pain in muscles you'd forgotten you had". If you don't use 'em, you lose 'em. So a strenuous day of digging after being used to little or no exercise is going to be noticed. Most real back problems don't need a day of digging to show up. Picking up a cup can do it.

Try gradually working into the job. Give your back a rest, then start with an hour a day , building up. If it gives problems, then try the doctor. Who will probably recommend that you give your back a rest, then start ... ;-)

Susan B
09-11-2004, 12:55 PM
> If it gives problems, then try the doctor. Who will probably recommend that you give your back a rest, then start ...

... and relieve your wallet of a hard-earned $50 for the same common sense information. ;-)

Scouse
09-11-2004, 10:31 PM
>sorry I can't quote the biblical verse for fixing back pain
John 11:35

Laura
10-11-2004, 03:30 AM
Jesus wept.
With a bad back, who wouldn't?

ferrite
10-11-2004, 04:48 AM
i get that problem,thought it was my bed.so i went and bought a new one cost me heeps didn't fix the problem either should have put the money towards the power mac g5 dual 2.5 x800x.dream machine.

metla
10-11-2004, 08:08 AM
and a magnetic belt......

lmao.