PDA

View Full Version : Windows98SE

Pop67
08-11-2004, 01:26 PM
Hello again

During reinstallation of my windows98SE, I am asked for a product key.
Five boxes need to be filled in with the product key, but my OEM CD's key is different, it is XXXXX-OEM-XXXXXXX-XXXXX, which isn't accepted by setup as a valid key. I cant find anything on Microsoft's site to help.
What can I do????????

Cheers,
Pop67

Pete O\'Neil
08-11-2004, 01:30 PM
Your going to need to provide more background infomation if you want people to help you.

Have you used this copy of Win98SE before?
Where did you get the OEM CD Key from?
Where did you get the 98SE CD from?
Is the CD legit?

I'll take a wild guess, and guess that your using a Windows 98SE cd (that didnt come with the PC)to install windows onto brand name PC (e.g Compay, HP, IBM etc) using the CD Key provided with the PC?

godfather
08-11-2004, 01:35 PM
You need to use the CD Key, not the Product Key.

The Product Key is generated from the install and is a different sequence exactly like you describe.

They are different things and not interchngeable.

beama
08-11-2004, 01:51 PM
if you are trying to do a dirty install (overtop of an exsisting os) it will compare the cd key you are using to the one recorded in the pc setup files and if they don't match you get this problem look for a microsoft tag on the side of the pc case that will give you your cd key for that machine

Valerie
08-11-2004, 02:00 PM
For the lack of an e-mail address the question remains un-answered

Terry Porritt
08-11-2004, 02:14 PM
Oh dear, it is with trepidation that I hesitantly correct GF, and even then I may be wrong, as there were different distributions, and W2k/XP is different again :)

With Win98 OS for distribution with a new PC only, there is a Certificate of Authenticity on the booklet with a Product Key, having 5 sets of 5 characters.

With the equivalent Win95 OEM there was a certificate with a Product ID having 4 boxes with OEM in the second. A Product key was not required.

With the Win98SE upgrade to Win 98 OEM there was a Product Key on the CD case.

Then as far as I know with Win98 OEM upon installation using the Product Key a Registration ID is generated.

Now if you havent wiped the previous installation the Product Key can be found in the Registry at HKEY-LOCAL-MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

Else look on your Certificate of Authenticity

Terry Porritt
08-11-2004, 02:18 PM
I correct myself, what I said is Registration ID is called Product ID in the Registry, and is basicly the same as the code with OEM in it except that OEM is replaced with a a 3 digit number.

Pop67
08-11-2004, 05:35 PM
Hi Pete,

Yes, I have used this CD twice before OK.
Yes, the CD is legit, it's the original CD that came with the PC.
I got the CD key from the PC's system info.

Pop67
08-11-2004, 05:36 PM
I have formatted the Hard Drive, that's the reason for the reinstallation

Spacemannz
08-11-2004, 06:15 PM
As godfather said, the # under system info isnt the same as the number u use to install Windows with. Its the wrong number, youre trying to enter in to install Windows.

Isnt the number u install Windows with, longer than the number under system info?? It wouldnt fit anyway. Ones 25 the one under system info is 20 digits.

godfather
08-11-2004, 06:17 PM
> I got the CD key from the PC's system info.

That's the problem.

Its not the key you need, that key is ID, the result of the original 5 x 5 character one when hashed after the install.

You can get the key from the installed version in 98 while its still installed using "magic jellybean", but its too late now after a reformat.

Are you sure its not on a sticker on the case somewhere?

Pop67
08-11-2004, 08:28 PM
ai would like to thank everybody who replied, and am happy to say all is well.
"godfather" was right, I was entering the wrong set of numbers.
A look on the back of the handbook give me the right set of numbers.

Thank you all.

Cheers,
Pop67