PDA

View Full Version : LCD screens for serious CAD or graphics?

Spencer
08-11-2004, 12:03 PM
Does anybody here have experience in using LCDs for serious professional CAD work? If so, what brands and sizes are recommended to replace 21" fine dot-pitch CRT monitors?

TIA Spence

Mike
08-11-2004, 07:05 PM
I have a 17" Phillips something and I DON'T recommend it :) There's also a 19" Phillips which I haven't used much, but its a lot nicer on the eye... I don't look forward to them taking away my 21" CRT though... when they try I'm going to try to convince them to get me another 21" CRT.

Mike.

drb1
08-11-2004, 08:00 PM
> I have a 17" Phillips something and I DON'T recommend
> it :) There's also a 19" Phillips which I haven't
> used much, but its a lot nicer on the eye... I don't
> look forward to them taking away my 21" CRT though...
> when they try I'm going to try to convince them to
> get me another 21" CRT.
>
> Mike.

Many proffesional cad users fell the same, the lcd dosent deliver in the detail yet.

D.

Budda
09-11-2004, 09:49 AM
i wouldnt use a lcd for cad work, especially with their native resolutions, your much better of with a crt for the detail.

Graham L
09-11-2004, 12:40 PM
My guess is that is someone who started learning/using CAD with a high resolution LCD would be quite happy with it. The sharp, non-merging pixels would be "normal".

Anyone who has been used to the appearance of a CRT "knows" that that is normal.

It's different, I don't like it." :O

mejobloggs
09-11-2004, 01:59 PM
I found it hard to see some of the stuff (little grey numbers for scale, etc) becuase of the lower contrast levels.

I prefer CRT for graphics as well. CRT seems to look better eg. more colour range or something.

tutaenui
09-11-2004, 08:35 PM
We have in the last month swapped a 17" crt monitor for a wide screen LCD, sorry dont know brand or size, as I am writing from home,but would not consider going back to CRT. While the LCD takes a little getting used to, long sessions on the CAD much less strain on the eyes.

Mike
09-11-2004, 08:46 PM
I use both CRT and LCD at work (on the same PC) and I find I get more strain on my eyes when I use the LCD more - I can go all day with the CRT no problem.

That said, there are probably LCDs out there that are better suited to what I'm doing than the cheap phillips I'm running...

Mike.

Spencer
09-11-2004, 11:04 PM
Thanks everybody, for the comments and advice. It looks like the CRT will live on for a while for serious CAD work. I wonder when LCD technology will lift the definition to true CRT equivalent?

Spence

george12
09-11-2004, 11:08 PM
Yes, I would say go for the CRT. Better for the pocket as well :).

Cheers George

metla
09-11-2004, 11:11 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if a top of the line large screen CRT cost more then a run of the mill CRT anyhow,Not that budget will play a big part in most descions of this nature.You obviously have to get the right tools for the job,they cost what they cost.

It would be interesting to compare a high end LCD in conditions such as these.....

When i say high end i mean super expensive cutting edge type of thing....

metla
09-11-2004, 11:13 PM
bugger

edit.

Imagine the first line said ** more then a run of the mill LCD**

drb1
10-11-2004, 12:35 AM
Metla.

Those 24' lcd screens are very nice and can be as good as as 21' crt but you are talking $4000-00 app for a top line one.

You can still get 2 to 3 21" Phillips top grade crt's for that.

D.

metla
10-11-2004, 12:52 AM
4 grand is still not a lot of money for a tool that gets used every day,and that needs to be good quality.

I'm sure my accountants secretary has one.....

drb1
10-11-2004, 01:10 AM
Metla,

Good digital flow meter cost over 4, I say buy best tools you can afford.

But too many number mumbelers will penny pinch where they can, but not in their office of course.

When A.C.C. adjust leveys, and come after them for eye strain, they may finally get the message.

Graphics staff need the biggest and best monitors the company can posssibly afford.

Space and power consumption also feature, but to many decision makers are, ill informed, and dollar driven.

D.

Billy T
10-11-2004, 07:51 AM
> Good digital flow meter cost over 4, I say buy best
> tools you can afford.

That is very sound advice drb. From personal experience, using the best tools you can afford eliminates a lot of doubt about the outcomes. I agonised for a couple of years over one instrument I purchased (while the price rose a few more $K) then bit the bullet and bought one.

I didn't use it much for about 18 months and had started to think I'd made a serious mistake, when out of the blue a client came along with a particular problem that needed it, then another and so on. I actually expanded the scope of my work because I bought the best and it has since paid for itself many times over .

If results matter, or ouput efficiency is an issue, go for the best you can afford.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

pcnovice
10-11-2004, 08:23 AM
The best I have seen is the 30' LCD Apple Cinema Screen which is used in a CAD dept

http://www.apple.com/displays/specs.html

Possibly also able to be used for PC's if they can use the format

drb1
10-11-2004, 01:07 PM
Now your talking, mac and graphics, that is only for the serious proffesional.

The one area justifiying mac, things like the G5 with 8GB ram on a desk unit. mated with that 30" unit would be nice.

Makes my 17" lcd and 19" crt 1GB ram look pathetic.

D.

metla
10-11-2004, 01:09 PM
Tell me,how are graphics better on a mac?

Ignoring the screen as thats a bolt on of course.

drb1
10-11-2004, 01:16 PM
3299-00 US $ + GST very roughly 7 and there is an adapter for the G5 to run two of them .

I see the 20" are coming down 1299 US before you start bullying retailers.

D.

drb1
10-11-2004, 01:28 PM
> Tell me,how are graphics better on a mac?
>
> Ignoring the screen as thats a bolt on of course.

Metla,

A large number of quality graphics professionals swear buy mac for top line graphics work, the same people are above the, mac, linux, M/S scrapping. these are tools, use the best tool for the job, as they see it. their activity is a good guide.

PC World ran articles on the G5 with 8GB ram in this area also

Those people dont spend that kind of coin for fun.

You got the money, you buy a, CAT, a HAITACHI, or a "hurry to die" HYUNDAI.

D.

metla
10-11-2004, 01:38 PM
I wouldn't suggest for a second that a mac user changes from their chosen platform,nor that Macs aren't capable performs,nor would i bring budget into the equation.

Just seems to me that the reasons for Mac are no longer an issue.Windows computers can outperfom them in any task without breaking a sweat,and provided the computer is sourced from a reliable seller they are no more prone to crashing then a mac.

Seems that the only area Mac has it is with their OS,and thats a personal opinion,not a fact,I have no love for the Mac interface..

Although i can see quite a bit of humour in swapping out someones dearly loved Mac for a windows comp and telling them to lump it as it was a finiancial decision....

Mike
10-11-2004, 01:40 PM
> Tell me,how are graphics better on a mac?
>
> Ignoring the screen as thats a bolt on of course.

Software, not hardware. Serious graphics apps developed for the Mac - nothing really to do with the hardware. Graphic designers buy expensive macs for the software they can run on it.

But we're talking CAD type work here, not graphic design/artwork...

Mike.

metla
10-11-2004, 01:40 PM
Oh,and Cats are underpowered and over priced,They seriously impact the amount of work that can be done in a day.

No comment on Hyundai......They don't deserve one...

metla
10-11-2004, 01:59 PM
> > Tell me,how are graphics better on a mac?
> >
> > Ignoring the screen as thats a bolt on of course.
>
> Software, not hardware. Serious graphics apps
> developed for the Mac - nothing really to do with the
> hardware. Graphic designers buy expensive macs for
> the software they can run on it.
>
> But we're talking CAD type work here, not graphic
> design/artwork...
>
> Mike.

Swish,

Now excuse my ignorance as i know little about Mac's and their software,Are the top graphics programs and Cad software not available on Windows?,I had presumed Photoshop was the program of choice for graphic artists.....Though i am completely ignorant when it comes to Cad apps surely they would be dening themselves millions of dollars in revenue by not producing a Windows equilivent....Or is it that the Cad industry is so dominated by Mac that a Windows version would have no market?

My understanding of Cad is that its used for structerial design,Is this correct?,Does it have any other uses?

Mike
10-11-2004, 02:30 PM
> Swish,
>
> Now excuse my ignorance as i know little about Mac's
> and their software,Are the top graphics programs and
> Cad software not available on Windows?,I had presumed
> Photoshop was the program of choice for graphic
> artists.....Though i am completely ignorant when it
> comes to Cad apps surely they would be dening
> themselves millions of dollars in revenue by not
> producing a Windows equilivent....Or is it that the
> Cad industry is so dominated by Mac that a Windows
> version would have no market?
>
> My understanding of Cad is that its used for
> structerial design,Is this correct?,Does it have any
> other uses?

Metla I think you misunderstood me :) I was saying that while the Mac might be the machine of choice for graphic designers (eg artists - photo editors etc.), CAD doesn't fit into that category, and the Mac isn't necesarily the machine of choice for CAD users (in fact can't think of any CAD users I know that use a Mac). Going onto the subject of Macs and graphics capabilities was moving off the topic of CAD usage.

Cheers
Mike.

metla
10-11-2004, 02:34 PM
Ah,i did indeed misunderstand.

drb1
10-11-2004, 06:30 PM
Metla,

Under powered = Yep.

Over priced = yep.

what really outlasts them?

When bits do wear out "Finally" they are easy to repair/replace.

What other manufacture of H/Equippment runs a vintage parts service, and has most parts available readily for 15 year old machines?

Thats part of what you buy, when you buy CAT.

I am actually not a great fan of them. but respect where due, must be given.

bit like the mac + the mac S/W available for H/E graphic work = a better package.

In straight out display there is probably little in it

D.

metla
10-11-2004, 06:38 PM
well........A 15 year old machine that has been run for 6 days a week is knackerd in every department,Cost far more to keep em alive then to replace,no matter what parts are still available.

I know of no company that would run gear over five years old no matter what the brand......

Well,maybe as secondary machines.

drb1
10-11-2004, 08:11 PM
metla,

farmers "especially if they have blades" other small operators that dont use much but can beat hire cost buy owning.

D.l