PDA

View Full Version : O/T: Bring back PAUL

Baldy
07-11-2004, 05:16 PM
Strooth I just saw a "Closeup@7 with Suusanne Woodpecker"

If we have to listen to her sanctimonious crapola ~ all I can say is "come back Paul, all is forgiven"

Mind you, he's getting 1 million notes per year on Prime, so I suspect he is enjoying giving TVOne a self satisfying brown-eye on an hourly basis

ferrite
07-11-2004, 05:27 PM
nah kate hawksby shes hot .best talent arround.

Prescott
07-11-2004, 05:59 PM
huh you saw closeup@7 at 5.16? lol, yea it was a good show with paul there, he was there for many years and swimming in the cash too, i read in the paper he earned like $700,000 wow!

andy
07-11-2004, 06:16 PM
Well I for one have always preferred Holmes when Susan Wood was presenting - she's a lot better looking for a start!.
I say good riddance to Holmes himself (Fear of the moderator prevents me from saying what I really think of him). The programme is/was rubbish anyway - making "stories" out of nothing and sensationalising trivia.

zqwerty
07-11-2004, 06:19 PM
I don't know how he lasted for so long. I would have fired him years ago if it was up to me.

He''ll go down like a ton of bricks on Prime.

Prescott
07-11-2004, 06:21 PM
im surprised he lasted so long with his cheeky darkie comment..

andy
07-11-2004, 06:28 PM
Prime is Australian - explains everything!
Remember what the late great Robby Muldoon said - "New Zealanders who go to Aussie raise the average IQ of both countries!"

TonyF
07-11-2004, 06:37 PM
No ! No ! I agree with the Auckland journalist who described him as a stuck-up twerp. And it now seems to be emerging that TV1 were looking for a way to be quit of him.

zqwerty
07-11-2004, 06:56 PM
He had so many annoying mannerisms and quirks it is hard to know where to start. Always repeating himself was the most annoying one.

Marnie
07-11-2004, 07:22 PM
Paul who??

No, don't bring him back..when will we get the dishes done???

He had his time in the limelight. Sometimes it's time to move on.

Marnie

JJJJJ
07-11-2004, 07:41 PM
I couldn't care less where he goes. I only watch TV1 for the news. Apart from the fact that they have nothing worth watching there's far, far too many advertisements. I hate them and refuse to watch them.
Jack

Rob99
07-11-2004, 07:58 PM
Do you relize you are missing the Simpsons on TV#

Billy T
07-11-2004, 08:03 PM
I have always liked and watched Susan Wood, and personally speaking I consider her an more intelligent and incisive, but sympathetic interviewer.

I gave up on Holmes years ago when he passed his use-by date. I'm not holding my breath for his effect on Prime either, other than the depletion of their finances. Cheekie darkie was the last straw.

Your smileage may vary.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :)

JJJJJ
07-11-2004, 08:06 PM
I have an icon of Bart Simpson on my desktop. He controls a folder labelled "rubbish I may need".
So I don't miss him at all.
Jack

whtafo
07-11-2004, 08:07 PM
> Do you relize you are missing the Simpsons on TV#

This man speaketh the truth - Paul Holmes was terrible, is terrible and will continue to be terrible on TV. Fortunately he's now on a channel I don't get.

07-11-2004, 08:50 PM
> im surprised he lasted so long with his cheeky darkie
> comment..

From the ruckus that one line caused - You would think that there had been thousands of letters to Paul Holmes, right?

Hundreds perhaps?

You really want to know how many people wrote in to complain about that remark?

Twelve!

Guess what? That same line has been used on more than one occasion in the Television series "BroTown". Want to know how many people have complained about it?
One!

Funny how the person making the statement makes all the difference, doesnt it ;-)

whtafo
07-11-2004, 09:11 PM
^^

I thought that account was for moderation purposes only.

07-11-2004, 09:26 PM
I was simply letting my all-seeing presence known.

Its my subtle way of saying that I see this thread but see no need to Moderate it. In doing this I am also showing that I am not the "Gestapo".

You may, however, salute me - Should you so desire ;-)

Prescott
07-11-2004, 09:26 PM
really 12? jeez and all the bitching on the radio/paper lol

Chilling_Silence
07-11-2004, 09:32 PM
I heard something similar - Only I had thought it was 14.

I'll try and find my source of information! :-)

hsv-b0y
07-11-2004, 09:37 PM
It doesnt really matter if he crashes and burns now does it...
3 year contract with prime @ $1mil a year... Hes laughing.

Chilling_Silence
07-11-2004, 09:39 PM
> I heard something similar - Only I had thought it was
> 14.
>
> I'll try and find my source of information! :-)

This NZ Herald Article (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3540638&thesection=news&thesubsection=general) says it was only 10 people who wrote to the BSA!!

Billy T
07-11-2004, 09:57 PM
> You really want to know how many people wrote in to
> complain about that remark?
>
> Twelve!

The context of the statement is the issue in my view. In context it really was offensive, but in another place and time it might have gone unnoticed, like on Prime TV.:|

The silent majority probably complained via their remote control.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

whtafo
07-11-2004, 10:04 PM
> The silent majority probably complained via their
> remote control.

And waited for someone else to make a giant self serving post purportedly on their behalf about it on their favourite intarwebnet forum.

Oh wait, sorry what were we talking about again?

george12
07-11-2004, 10:47 PM
> The silent majorit

Billy's favourite phrase

george12
07-11-2004, 10:48 PM
majority*

Sorry, my bad.

mikebartnz
07-11-2004, 11:46 PM
Prime had sense in employing Suzie Aitken but proved they have more money than brains employing Holmes.

metla
08-11-2004, 12:02 AM
I have been interviewed twice for the Holmes show,and neither piece made it to air....

DUNK
08-11-2004, 01:38 AM
Always was of the opinion that the 'nude nut' was one of the Kerr Bros'
He just cofirmed it !

leonidas5
08-11-2004, 08:02 AM
Paul Holmes was not a competent broadcaster: incapable of reading an autocue, he could not frame a coherent sentence. Personality driven, and small minded unless he was cast in prominent light. His ignorance of many topics and his lack of research was best seen in the Shrek programme, when any viewer with an iota of knowledge about rural life was reduced to hysterical laughter at his purile attempt to interview. 16 years too many!

Well Done TV1 - sorry Prime, you have made an expensive blunder!!

JJJJJ
08-11-2004, 10:50 AM
I have been interviewed twice for the Holmes show,and neither piece made it to air....

For which we thank God, or maybe Moderator.

Jack

JJJJJ
08-11-2004, 10:54 AM
He''ll go down like a ton of bricks on Prime.

Careful zqwerty, toy words may come back to haunt you.
There are lots of old ladies out there who love him and will probably follow him to Prime.
Jack

45South
08-11-2004, 11:09 AM
LMAO
Paul Holmes wouldn't have time to even read, let alone post in a place like this as he's always too damn busy spending the many millions he's made being one of the world's worst broadcasters, totally devoid of any journalistic talent & being a complete twat according to the majority of posts here.
Man I wish I was that useless at everything I did!
Looking through the list of names who slag him off, a large proportion regularly post similar minded comments about Telecom & Bill Gates's inability to produce reliable software. (Another couple of lifes losers)
What is it you people have about success greater than yours. MUCH GREATER.
Those tall poppies must sit at home at night laughing their appendages off at all the jealous pond life who in reality, aspire to be just like them and certainly wouldn't turn down the cash they make for being as useless & inept as they are in their chosen fields.

leonidas5
08-11-2004, 03:24 PM
I wasn't writing the response for Paul but attempting to cryptically indicate why to me he is an inept broadcaster. If TV were fragile enough to pay him vast sums to keep him then that is business between them. I am not jealous in any way.
I suggest, if you want to listen to a coherent broadcaster, try listening on National Radio this week to Maggie Barry - nine to noon-, or Sunday am to Chris Laidlaw, or again to Susan Wood who at least could get out sentences without rephrasing and repetition. Kim Hill is another class broadcaster. Rae Lamb and Linda Clark also spring to mind with Sean and Geoff there too.

Of the work and social circles I mix in (nothing flash or jafa like, but provincial NZ south of Cook Strait), very few people could accept that he was the leading broadcaster in New Zealand. From time to time he massaged an itchy spot in NZ consciences with panache, but more often the massage was of his own ego as well as that of the interviewee.

Telecom and its predecessors and I have had a comfortable relationship for thirty five years - no complaints but wonder about gross salaries for the top and damn all for those who actually keep the systems working. Check a help desk pay rate for example.
Bill Gates ditto - he gave the world a product that was needed and is still dominant if flaky - good on him for making money and for his huge donations to various foundations and charity. New Zealand kids benefit from his generosity.

Misty
08-11-2004, 05:13 PM
>>> I have always liked and watched Susan Wood, and personally speaking I consider her an more intelligent and incisive, but sympathetic interviewer.>

hear, hear !!

Also there is John Campbell, who is amongst the very best !

Misty :D

Graham L
08-11-2004, 05:35 PM
Paul who?

Baldy
08-11-2004, 05:52 PM
Just goes to show the differing opinions visavi Paul Holmes.

While the geeks who frequent this forum may hate him (do people here just hate things for the sake of hating them?) many hundreds thousands of TVNZ viewers love him.

Thats why he has been on TVOne at the absolute ultimate time spot (7pm) for the amount of years he has, and why TVNZ can command top dollar in advertising revenue.

Nude Nut of the Kerr Klan ~ possibly a close relative to DUNK ;-)

MartynC
08-11-2004, 10:05 PM
BRING BACK THE BIFF

One of the only good shows on Prime? The Footy Show!!!

mikebartnz
08-11-2004, 10:24 PM
I personally have not met anyone one who likes him but I do know of one person who does.
His program with Keri was about the most pathetic piece of broadcasting I have ever seen.

45South
08-11-2004, 10:26 PM
LOL

Baldy
08-11-2004, 10:36 PM
> I personally have not met anyone one who likes him
> but I do know of one person who does.
> His program with Keri was about the most pathetic
> piece of broadcasting I have ever seen.

Oh, I must have missed that one. I will have to hunt round in my collection of 1200 edited video tapes of Holmes Show highlights! <wink> ;-)

mikebartnz
08-11-2004, 11:06 PM
From memory it was set in London and Paul behaved like a little pubescent 14 year old on his first date.

Baldy
09-11-2004, 05:39 PM
Oh I remember that, was kinda envious of him getting all that attention from Dame Kiri ~ who's a real Dame as well

I got confused when you called her Keri. Thought you might have been referring to Keri Woodham.

Can you guess I work for TVNZ?