PDA

View Full Version : Orcon + service = crapola

Greg S
07-11-2004, 01:40 PM
Is it just me or has Orcon bitten of more than they can chew, and are subsequently pathetically inadequately prepared to handle support requests following their bitstream introduction?

Sorry this is just a rant - but trying to get through to their helpdesk is a mission! 30 minutes holding on yesterday, 20 minutes today already to no avail! GRRR I am SO SICK of the "sorry but all our agents are currently busy; we will be with you in aproximately... one... minutes" AAARRRGGGHHH

All I want to do is transfer a domain name and their damn online facility is down! :_|

Graham L
07-11-2004, 02:35 PM
Greg, isn't it the case that Orcon and other ISPs were geared up to handle major changes to their services, had advertised and taken orders, only to be "inconvenienced" by Telecom?

If their helpline services are scaled for the "normal" level of customer complaints, changes, and idiocy, they would be overloaded straight away. It must be expensive, and take time, to increase the number of people (and telephone lines?). Especially for a huge surge in calls caused by what they must hope will be a one-off.

Greg S
07-11-2004, 02:42 PM
Yeah. Unfortunately, as I'm informed, they've chosen this time to "upgrade" their online service and other facilities.

I eventually got through to their helpdesk, and it appears that my domain name transfer will go through, though tomorrow will tell.

I really like Orcon as an ISP and have no intention of leaving them, but I sure hope things start performing better soon

metla
07-11-2004, 02:48 PM
The bit that hits me is that their free call number has never been available since i signed up,so i have to do a toll call,and then pay to be on hold for close to an hour.

Hurts the pocket.

45South
07-11-2004, 03:29 PM
>then pay to be on hold for close to an hour
They can stick that up their jumper
Come on over to Telextra, heap plenty good deals, free tollcall help & the funny speaking people are real freindly.

Big John
07-11-2004, 03:34 PM
> Greg, isn't it the case that Orcon and other ISPs
> were geared up to handle major changes to their
> services, had advertised and taken orders, only to be
> "inconvenienced" by Telecom?

If they thought a whole new system was going to business as usual and given the fact of their advertising to rake in heaps of new subscribers then I think they simply under estimated the demand and are now paying for that with dissatisfied customers due to waiting online.

metla
07-11-2004, 03:35 PM
funny enough,i would prefer to pay more to keep off telecom,its just a sad state of affis that it all flows that way no matter what one does.

heni72847
07-11-2004, 04:39 PM
orcon should kinda fix their "wait ONE minute" thing
if it actually said like..20min..i would've hang up and try again instead of actually waiting for 20min thinking some guy would answer my call any second
that would've been less irritating

..or did maybe they did the wait one minute thing just to keep customers on hold purposely?!?!

mikebartnz
07-11-2004, 11:55 PM
I remember the early days of Xtra where they were advertising like mad. A 30 min wait was nothing then.

metla
08-11-2004, 12:00 AM
I would be amazed if you could get through to a real person at Xtra within 45 minutes,i have at times sat on the line for over an hour.

Big John
08-11-2004, 05:18 AM
> I would be amazed if you could get through to a real
> person at Xtra within 45 minutes,i have at times sat
> on the line for over an hour.

Well it wasn't Xtra but the Telecom Jetstream guy rang me on a weekend without being asked. He was explaining to me why the difference in their JetStream meter occurs at times in the day.
He said he could have sent an e-mail but felt it was better if he explained it in person in case I had any further questions.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
08-11-2004, 08:48 AM
> He said he could have sent an e-mail but felt it was
> better if he explained it in person in case I had any
> further questions.

I have had also had this in the past. Personally, I'm more than happy with their service, especially when they gave me $100 credit to my account :) I have never had to wait over an hour. Funny enough, my calls usually get through in about ten to fifteen minutes maximum.

I was thinking about changing over to Orcon, but it seems to me that the other ISP don't really have any direct benefits to me over Xtra. Plus, I have had to wait aaaaaaaa........ges for my phone to get through to them. Yes! I also hate the 'one minute left' answering machine. THey just do it to make you wait!

I think Xtra just let their VIPs through first... B-)

Jester
08-11-2004, 09:13 AM
Metla - why can't you use Orcon's toll free number? 0508 4ORCON (467266)

I rang them a few times about a forthnight ago sorting out my connection - and was advised how many minutes (one was 21 mins, the other 15 mins), both were spot on as it turns out. Maybe their phone system has messed up if you are getting the one minute timeframe.

Orcon phoned me after I had a day with no ADSL - Telecom switched me to UBS early than expected, then disconnected me completely on the day that I was supposed to get UBS, they phoned at home, got the kids, then phoned me at work. Their call was to check I was up and running. I appreciated that.

There are bad and good service stories out there. My ping to gaming servers is lower now, Orcon did what they could to sort out my problems. I'm staying with them.

J
:D

POTUS
08-11-2004, 09:28 AM
When trying to access the 'My Account' area you get this message:

"Members Area Offline

During the weekend of Friday 5 November to Monday 8 November 2004 we are doing a major upgrade to our customer management interfaces and billing systems. As a result, the page you are trying to request is temporarily offline.

Public access to online signup and account management functions will be restored during Tuesday 9 November.

We apologise for the inconvenience this may cause, and trust you'll enjoy our new interface when it launches next week.

If you have an urgent problem, please contact our helpdesk for assistance; however as the back-end systems are undergoing maintenance not all changes will be able to be made until next week.

If you're wanting to set up a Free Personal Website - this will be unavailable (even via the helpdesk) until 10 November."

So, they've warned us that there is a major change happening over the weekend. Non urgent calls will back the system up. Perhaps it's best to wait a couple of days to change your domain, or send them an email? I think it's unfair to judge their service as "crapola" considering the huge changes they're currently undergoing and the fact that Telecom isn't exactly helping the situation with their games.

I've been with Orcon for about a year now and haven't had any problems (apart from the ones I caused) in that time. A little bit of patience and empathy would certainly go a long way.

metla
08-11-2004, 09:42 AM
> Metla - why can't you use Orcon's toll free number?
> 0508 4ORCON (467266)
>
> I rang them a few times about a forthnight ago
> sorting out my connection - and was advised how many
> minutes (one was 21 mins, the other 15 mins), both
> were spot on as it turns out. Maybe their phone
> system has messed up if you are getting the one
> minute timeframe.
>
> Orcon phoned me after I had a day with no ADSL -
> Telecom switched me to UBS early than expected, then
> disconnected me completely on the day that I was
> supposed to get UBS, they phoned at home, got the
> kids, then phoned me at work. Their call was to
> check I was up and running. I appreciated that.
>
> There are bad and good service stories out there. My
> ping to gaming servers is lower now, Orcon did what
> they could to sort out my problems. I'm staying with
> them.
>
> J
> :D

Orcons toll free line just sounds the busy signal,.....I didn't even get to go on hold....

Just tried it now and once again got the busy signal.

Jester
08-11-2004, 09:50 AM
> Orcons toll free line just sounds the busy
> signal,.....I didn't even get to go on hold....
>
> Just tried it now and once again got the busy
> signal.

Ahhh ok. I thought maybe it was due to your business maybe not being able to access 0508 numbers (and was gonna suggest using a cellphone).

I also just tried the number and yep, engaged. Tried three times with no joy, fourth time it rang and I selected the dsl or bitstream assistance line. The message said "we will be with you in approximately 'one' minutes...". Looks like their time wait is overly optimistic.

Keep trying.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
08-11-2004, 10:19 AM
> Keep trying.

Been engaged here for a while as well

Greg S
08-11-2004, 10:27 AM
> Just tried it now and once again got the busy
> signal.

Just tried it myself - was engaged for about 30 attempts, then I got through without having to wait in a queue. They must be damn busy!

metla
11-11-2004, 10:01 AM
Hi,

Telecom have now advised us that your JetStream connection for the username ****** will be transferred to an Orcon BitStream connection on 12 November 2004. This may be anytime during this day so we suggest testing your connection the following day to be sure the installation is complete.

Currently your username will show as either *****@fastadsl.net.nz or ******@jetstart.jet.net.nz.

Your new Bistream login name is******@orcon.net.nz. It's only the part after '@' that needs to change, your username or password haven't changed.

Please update your DSL router/modem to this new login after the transfer date you have been given to complete the transfer.

If you have any questions please email us at support@orcon.net.nz or call on the number below.

Best regards,

The Orcon Team

w00t w00t

Greg S
11-11-2004, 10:12 AM
> Hi,
> Telecom have now advised us that your JetStream
> connection for the username

etc

> The Orcon Team

> w00t w00t

Same here. mine's active from next week 17th. Looking forward to see if the service improves my gaming latency.

POTUS
11-11-2004, 10:28 AM
Mine has been active since last week. I haven't noticed any difference - but that was the plan, wasn't it? Download unlimited and one monthly bill.

manicminer
11-11-2004, 08:23 PM
Tip: If you can't get through to technical support then just press 1 straight after phoning orcon to go to the usual 'signups' option. Generall far more success in getting through.
They are having problems with their phone system at the moment (obviously).

Yes Orcon have been crap the last few weeks BUT Telecom haven't helped one bit.
In changing to bitstream I've been completely cutoff by Telecom and overcharged for jetstream disconnection. Ok the overcharging bit was fixed after I phoned telecom but I've no intention of paying the rest till they connect me over to Bitstream properly. Orcon have been consistenly let down by Telecom in this area, leading to frustrated customers. I've now gone over a week without ADSL because Telecom can't sort their crap out or give straight answers, so I never know what's going on and neither do Orcon half the time - currently on a free dialup Orcon have lent me in the meantime.

Seems like one level of service for Telecom's own customers and a completely inferior level of service for wholesale customers.

Wired Country is looking a very attractive option right now.

stu120404
18-11-2004, 06:08 PM
Here is what they said in Yesterday Orcon eNews which you can read here: http://www.orcon.net.nz/help/newsletters/2004-11-17/

>Helpdesk Overload

In anticipation of the load that our helpdesk would come under because of our BitStream promotion and other advertising campaigns, we increased the number of simultaneous helpdesk people on our team from 12 people to 26 over the last couple of months.

However, our call volumes have actually quadrupled because of UBS provisioning issues, and therefore we are on the back foot at present. Wait times on the helpdesk have increased from less than a minute to around 1/2 an hour, and we are having difficulty getting emails answered.

We believe that as soon as the majority of our UBS users are
provisioned, that we will have more than enough helpdesk staff and our service levels will rise back to 'excellent'. We expect this to be somewhere in early December, and hopefully sooner.

at lest they say that they have a problem

>BitStream Provisioning Update

Progress
We are currently around 1/2 way through provisioning the list of
several thousand customers that we have had sign up for our UBS service. When UBS was first proposed to us, we assumed that it would be a fairly simple process for us to get our users moved across from Telecom JetStream. However, this has not been the case, and the UBS moves have been a very manual process with us having to perform many tasks to get each customer working. Telecom is only able to move a maximum of 90 customers across per working day, or around 3,000 per month - we have now been moving customers over for 1-2 months.

Failed Transfers
There have been some issues with Telecom disconnecting customers from JetStream, and then not re-connecting them to Orcon UBS. This is as frustrating for us as for the customers. As soon as this has happened we have begged Telecom to get customers back up and running, but in a small amount of cases, customers have been left without a usable connection for a week or more. We believe that we have developed a process that minimizes these problems going forward, although we are really at the mercy of Telecom on this issue.

Bandwidth
Some users have reported unstable ping times and throughput issues on UBS - this is a result of the 'power' users moving to UBS first and congesting the links between us and Telecom (which have to be a fixed size, and Telecom won't increase for us). Based on the fact that our JetStart service did not have problems, we expect that once the majority of our users are moved over, these problems will go away because the 'mom and dad' users will balance out the 'power users'. All ISPs including Xtra have to contend with these congestion issues if users pull too much traffic all at the same time, as the average allocated capacity for DSL users is the same for all ISPs.

Ashley Matthews
18-11-2004, 06:58 PM
If you are looking for a ISP that will answer quickly try Quicksilver.

*Waits for Chill to start battle of the ISP employees*

Greg S
18-11-2004, 08:16 PM
Well I was supposed to be switched over to bitstream yesterday, but it seems to have happened this morning... with the result that I can't access the Internet AT ALL via my adsl account! GRRRRRRR

I'm mad as hell at Orcon not telling me there was a risk that I'd be without my account at all! Helpdesk took 30 minutes to get through to, with the inevitable result that they blamed Telecom GRRRRR

ETA for resumed service is supposed to be tomorrow GRRRRRR

At least they've given me temporary free dial-up access, but boy what a bummer! :(

personthingy
18-11-2004, 08:45 PM
Well, i have no problem with telstra/paradise phone help..
but take a sqiz at this automated email:

Your question has been received. You should expect a response from us
within 4 business days.

To update this question by email, please reply to this message.
Because your reply will be processed automatically, you MUST enter
your reply in the space below. Text entered into any other part of
this message will be discarded.

[===> Please enter your reply below this line <===]

[===> Please enter your reply above this line <===]

To update your question from our support site, click on the following
link or paste it into your Web browser.

Alternatively, you may call us
Customer Services 0800 467 272, option 1 between 10am and 9pm
Helpdesk 0508 888 800
https://paradise.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/paradise.cfg/php/enduser/acct_login.php?p_userid=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&p_next_page=myq_upd.php&p_iid=329274&p_created=1100630534

personthingy
18-11-2004, 08:54 PM
I just tried the phone help @ Paradise/Telstra
It took 2 minutes to navigate through the "press 1 for xxxxx" section, and ONE ring before a human answered the phone, and took my enquirie.

Pretty good ey?????

:-)
Chris

manicminer
18-11-2004, 09:53 PM
> Well I was supposed to be switched over to bitstream
> yesterday, but it seems to have happened this
> morning... with the result that I can't access the
> Internet AT ALL via my adsl account! GRRRRRRR
>
> I'm mad as hell at Orcon not telling me there was a
> risk that I'd be without my account at all! Helpdesk
> took 30 minutes to get through to, with the
> inevitable result that they blamed Telecom GRRRRR
>
> ETA for resumed service is supposed to be tomorrow
> GRRRRRR
>
> At least they've given me temporary free dial-up
> access, but boy what a bummer! :(

Greg. If you get connected tomorrow count yourself lucky. I've been disconnected for 2 weeks now during the changeover.
I'm on a free dialup at the moment.
Oh well...at least I'm saving some money this month. Orcon have waived this months bill and Telecom seem to have wiped the $100 dollar disconnection fee that I faced for swapping from Jetstream to Bitstream.
It's a pain now I'm used to that extra speed. I've only had ADSL for a couple of months after being stuck on dialup for almost a year before Telecom finally got round to installing ADSL on my exchange.

metla
18-11-2004, 11:30 PM
Well....my experience has been positive,

I only signed up for the unlimited 128k plan for $50 a month,which came with an upgrade to 256k.

As advised the changeover happened on the date specified,all i had to do was change my log-on and its all roses......apart from the 2 days that all net feed stopped.....Couldn't be buggered ringing them and it sprang back into life yesterday....

Greg S
20-11-2004, 10:11 AM
Well I got my adsl connection back this morning, and can't help wondering if it's more than a coincidence that today's the start of my monthly Telecom billing cycle.

Anyway, the bitsream service seems really good so far - getting approx 280kb/s speeds on my 256k plan.

stu120404
20-11-2004, 11:17 AM
> Anyway, the bitsream service seems really good so far
> - getting approx 280kb/s speeds on my 256k plan.

That does not sound right approx 280kb/s speeds on a 256k plan ?:| Donít you mean 2M Plan?

Greg S
20-11-2004, 11:21 AM
> Donít you mean 2M Plan?

Nope - I'm just getting better speeds than the plan allows for

stu120404
20-11-2004, 12:18 PM
> > Donít you mean 2M Plan?
>
> Nope - I'm just getting better speeds than the plan
> allows for

WOW!, Lucky u :)