PDA

View Full Version : Telecom Broadband Antics

Digby
07-11-2004, 07:53 AM
I see Telecom are still having to up their offers to get people to sign up in the numbers they want (have promised the govt) for the Broadband (sic).

It seems that every month they increase the offer over the previous offer. Now its a free modem !

Whilst a free modem would be nice, it is not very clever marketing as one it will annoy people that signed up the previous month, and two it will deter people from signing up as they will keep waiting for the next offer !

Why don't Telecom just give us a good service at a good price and let the other ISPs have it at the same time (I'm with Actrix and sticking with them - there has to be competition or Telecom will screw us all again.)

Regards
Digby

ApeNz
07-11-2004, 09:16 AM
Lets look at it this way - My parents dont want jetstream and my offer even to pay half and buy the modem was declinced. So if they give more and more stuff for free i can hopefully save my pennies and get jetstream

45South
07-11-2004, 10:00 AM
> it is not very clever marketing
I actually thought it was a brilliant peice of marketing strategy
free modem & free connection for a 1GB plan
locked in for 12 months $100 charge if relinquished
I'd say the majority of people who take this offer up will chew through a GB in no time, get knocked back to dialup speed & be p**ed off & upgrade to a more expensive/greater bandwidth plan, also incurring the $100 spedding ticket along the way.

Baldy
07-11-2004, 10:32 AM
I went to the supermarket last week and brought a packet of Maggi 2 minute noodles for 59cents.
Blow me down, in this weeks mailer, they are giving away a free packet this week with every packet of 2minute noodles you buy.
Maybe I shouldn't have brought the noodles last week, but I might of gone hungry.
Maybe I should sue Countdown for not having a 20foot sign at the front door telling people what was coming up on special for the next 5 years so they could modify their shopping habits and not buy things at all as it might be on special till May 2005.

andy
07-11-2004, 10:37 AM
I got a free modem deal four months ago, so its not something they just dreamed up. They just change the offers each month.
What I wonder is: how on earth do you use over a gig a month?!
Unless you are doing something illegal like file swapping copyright music and movies, how is this possible? A gig is one helava lot of data.

lagbort
07-11-2004, 11:29 AM
i went through over 60 gig last month, which is why for the next while im on 64k speeds :D

Big John
07-11-2004, 12:27 PM
Whinge Whinge.

Don't use/buy the service if you are not happy with it. Go elsewhere.

This topic has been covered so many times it is becoming pathetic.

the highlander
07-11-2004, 12:30 PM
>A gig is one helava lot of data.<

Even without "illegal downloads' A gig is nothing, a token, insignificant, totally worthless.
Streaming media, movie trailers, demos, distro downloads, freeware downloads (as in legally free),patches, online gaming yada yada yada
5 gig a month should be the absolute bare minimum

Digby
07-11-2004, 02:20 PM
Great rplies guys - thanks.

But Hey Big John.

The reason we need to keep covering this topic is that Telecom keep ripping us off. We are at the bottom of the OECD when it comes to broadband. And whose fault is that ?

I accept that if one does not like a service they should not use it, but there needs to be a choice and if Telecom keep getting away with what they are doing there won't be a choice. I don't like the price of petrol but I have to use it. (The 7 sisters are the world's biggest monoply (cartel))

Regards

Digby

whtafo
07-11-2004, 02:34 PM
> I don't like the price of
> petrol but I have to use it. (The 7 sisters are the
> world's biggest monoply (cartel))

Poor analogy, a significant component of petrol is costs and levies that go straight to the government.

Your reason for rehashing the topic is crap. Life sucks, broadband sucks more. Get a helmet and move on.

andy
07-11-2004, 03:16 PM
Well my download speed increased from 1 meg a minute to 10 megs a minute sometime last week, so I have no gripes with Telecom at all. I remember 300bps modems where you stuck the telephone handpiece in the modem - trust me, today is better!

Prescott
07-11-2004, 03:45 PM
i dont see what all you guys arecomplaining about, your lucky to even have broadband, i cant even get it in my area, the only solution for me is 56k or wireless...

Baldy
07-11-2004, 05:10 PM
>>> I remember 300bps modems
>>> where you stuck the telephone handpiece in the modem
>>> - trust me, today is better!

Gawd, I remember that too. Ain't it funny the things you forget. Thanx for reminding me of the good old bad days!

Budda
08-11-2004, 09:43 AM
hmm how do you go thru a gig in a month easy, world of warcraft beta is 2.5Gb, hmm thats even a lot of your 10Gb cap

POTUS
08-11-2004, 10:42 AM
> Whinge Whinge.

I agree, Big John, it's getting tedious. When people post an Off Topic topic they use "OT" in the subject line. Perhaps people should use "Whinge" in the subject line too.

mejobloggs
08-11-2004, 12:41 PM
> What I wonder is: how on earth do you use over a gig
> a month?!
> Unless you are doing something illegal like file
> swapping copyright music and movies, how is this
> possible? A gig is one helava lot of data.

Heh, im on a 1gb plan. I go over every month by just browsing the internet. I dont get a chance to download anything much.