PDA

View Full Version : Dead Barton 2800+

HadO
06-11-2004, 03:55 PM
Hmm...

Noticed cpu temp creaping up quite considerably but thought it might just be the warm air...

Got some fresh thermal paste and applied - cranked her over and heard a weird noise and thought it was a fan bearing or something.

PC crashed while POSTing... reset... no video signal and PC no longer POSTing... noise was worse and sounded like electrical shorting (quiet constant ticking) - removed heatsink and could smell that great fragrance...

Took out cpu - top looks fine but some discolouration underneath.

I bought this 2 months ago - was running stock - they sure don't make them like they used to!

Hope I get decent customer service re: replacement from QMB... grrr...

crazy monkey
06-11-2004, 05:56 PM
> Noticed cpu temp creaping up quite considerably but
> thought it might just be the warm air...
what sort of temp?

>removed heatsink and could smell that
> great fragrance...
not good...

> Took out cpu - top looks fine but some discolouration
> underneath.
not good at all

> I bought this 2 months ago - was running stock - they
> sure don't make them like they used to!
true true....

> Hope I get decent customer service re: replacement
> from QMB... grrr...
you hope!

Did you put the CPU in backwards or something?
Was it seated properly in the socket?

Just hope you can get a replacement or it might be a good excuse to get a new 64-bit system :D

george12
06-11-2004, 08:18 PM
Since we all know QMB, let me offer you some advice. Legally they MUST give you a refund whether they want to or not. I have had business' refuse me this right before and have got my money because of this fact.

And I do indeed know several people that had been refused a replacement from QMB for no reason whatsoever.

What I wonder is, how come QMB products break more than other company's identical products? Do they use products as stools? CPU's as paperweights? For heaters?

CD-ROM drives as coffee holders?

Perhaps the stock room is a damp, statically charged basement?

George

george12
06-11-2004, 08:31 PM
Oh and I don't want to rub this in, but it probably destroyed your motherboard too. When/where did you buy that? QMB as well?

If they were both from QMB, just send them both up and let them do the testing etc.

Otherwise, you had better hope the mobo is fine. But the clicking noise is a good sign. No, I didn't forget the 'not'. That clicking noise means that either the motherboard or the power supply has shut off the line with problems (probably Vcore), and therefore not caused any damage beyond the CPU. If you don't hear the clicks then you'll probably see smoke.

One thing though, when it crashed in POST, did it:

Lock up?
Shut off?
Fans too?
Screen blank?
Garble just before crash?
Scrambled screen image?

That info can help us determine the fate of your motherboard and possibly RAM too.

HTH Cheers George

somebody
06-11-2004, 08:42 PM
> Since we all know QMB, let me offer you some advice.
> Legally they MUST give you a refund whether they want
> to or not. I have had business' refuse me this right
> before and have got my money because of this fact.
>
No business is legally required to refund anything which was damaged by the end-user. In this case, it seems like in the process of applying thermal grease etc. somehow HadO has done something to cause the CPU to overheat. Accidents happen, and no business should or is legally required to take responsiblity for this (except your insurance company under certain circumstances).

QMB, or any business for that matter, only has to replace parts or products which were faulty because of manufacture, or was damaged by QMB during assembly etc. It is not QMB's fault that HadO has accidentally blown up a CPU.

alphazulusixeightniner
06-11-2004, 09:00 PM
Had0 what sort of thermal paste, and how did you apply it? Did you accidentally get some on the CPU bridges?

george12
06-11-2004, 09:15 PM
If I thought HadO had damaged the CPU, I would have told him 'tough luck'.

But I don't think that is the case. Applying thermal paste is unlikely to cause such a result.

Thermal paste is non-conductive, so he didn't short something out. Static couldn't do it either (I could pull out my Celeron 3.0 and rub my fingers all over it. I could then rub it against my socks, after shuffling them on the ground for a good 10 minutes. When I put it back in, I wouldn't expect it to POST. But no shorting should result). This problem seemed to be a short internal to the CPU.

So, yes you are right if it is the user's fault, but if it is not they must replace it.

Good luck
George

HadO
07-11-2004, 12:02 PM
Update:

Took cpu back and they said there warranty might not cover it because its burnt out - how else to cpus die!?

They said too much thermal paste might have been applied causing it to overheat - I applied it the same way as I have always done - with a layer of about 3mm on the core alone...

I really cant afford to buy another one and I've spent a lot of $$$ there.

The mobo was from somewhere else - the PC locked up when the weird sound occured and upon resetting it just wouldn't POST - all other comps were still functioning.

HadO
07-11-2004, 12:04 PM
Also - they are sending it back to their supplier for a warranty claim and they said I should ring back in about 5 days...

alphazulusixeightniner
07-11-2004, 12:54 PM
> with a layer of about 3mm on the core alone...

3mm in thickness? :O Yep I'm not surprised at all it burnt out. You should really have a read of this (http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm).

HadO
07-11-2004, 01:03 PM
The actual contact area between the core and the heatsink where the paste is applied is only paper thin when the heatsink is on though...

metla
07-11-2004, 01:29 PM
and how thick is a sheet of paper?

You want a thin film of quality paste,not a thick layer of gunk....

HadO
07-11-2004, 01:33 PM
The important fact to take into account here was that the cpu's temp was slowly skyrocketing before I even applied the new layer of paste...

That alone seems to indicate to me that there was a fault with it - I have also had some POSTing issues with it in the past which I thought was RAM related...