PDA

View Full Version : Games

thewhiz
06-11-2004, 02:09 PM
I run a school network and students often install games is there any program that will find and delete certain games without them noticing if possible

Chilling_Silence
06-11-2004, 02:12 PM
Two things:
1. Try using full-stops/periods when writing a message - It makes our life easier, and your story of running a school network more believable. No hard feelings.....

2. Try setting policies on the PC, or enforce NTFS limitations/quotas.

What OS? What type of network etc etc etc....

Cheers

Chill.

thewhiz
06-11-2004, 02:15 PM
The server OS is Windows 2000 Server and the clients are either Windows ME or Windows 98.

b1naryb0y
06-11-2004, 02:18 PM
Whenever I've looked after school computers I usually resorted to physically removing the floppy and CD drives.

Other methods include incasing the PC in a small inclosure, students then need to ask for permission to access the drives to install any software.

thewhiz
06-11-2004, 02:20 PM
One slight problem with that, we have internet access and sometimes I have to use the Cdrom or Floppy drives for Installing Software etc.

b1naryb0y
06-11-2004, 02:23 PM
> One slight problem with that, we have internet access
> and sometimes I have to use the Cdrom or Floppy
> drives for Installing Software etc.

That's what the server is for. You should be running network installs of software.

Or if you went for the locked case option, you would still have access to the drives, you would just need a key :)

thewhiz
06-11-2004, 02:29 PM
What about standalone computers like laptops that we dont use on the network.

Pete O\'Neil
06-11-2004, 02:49 PM
You could always mount an optical drive in an external 5 1/2 USB enclosure, so that if you or another admin/teacher needs to install software you can.

Graham L
06-11-2004, 02:58 PM
Buy one PCMCIA Ethernet adaptor for the laptops. Plug in to the network when needed.

The other way is to not have hard disks on the clients. A boot just does a download of a "guaranteed" clean OS image from the server.