PDA

View Full Version : OT-Game of the YEAR

metla
05-11-2004, 01:32 AM
Thats right,the demo for the hottest game of the year is out,and it rocks in a major ways,

Halflife 2?
Halo 2?

Ppppfffttt,they will both be crapola with a side order of stinkfinger.

what we have folks is Flatout

official site http://www.flatoutgame.com/index.htm

The sites in flash,which blows bolts,and the screenshots don't do it justice.

The link i got the demo from

http://download.nvidia.com/downloads_emea/flatout/flatout_demo.exe

Total blast,its a demolition derby over motocross tracks,with complete car and object defomity,flames,nitro,big bad crashes,and a driver who gets thrown out the window when you hit stuff hard enough.

And the high jump mode has to be seen to be believed,i managed to launch the driver 98m up in the air.....

Been waiting years for a game such as this,hopefully the full will have online play....

miknz
05-11-2004, 06:03 AM
Sounds like a game requiring deep and intense thought metla, at least with Half life and Halo some thought and planning are involved.

45South
05-11-2004, 08:29 AM
>a game requiring deep and intense thought
exactly why I don't play them, when I'm relaxing after the metal rigours of the day all I wanna do is shoot, crash, burn & waste. No thought processes whatsoever!
downloading demo now, thanks metla

Biggles
05-11-2004, 08:39 AM
Personally I need all aspects in my games (not necessarily in the same game) - mindless violence, strategy, tactics, guns, more guns, more violence, some more guns ...

Just out of interest, what would everyone pick as their favourite games of the year?

Rome Total War is mine (OK, no guns, but lots of swords, flaming arrows, stampeding elephants, etc).

metla
05-11-2004, 08:43 AM
> Sounds like a game requiring deep and intense thought
> metla, at least with Half life and Halo some thought
> and planning are involved.

Ha,...Means nothing in the land of hype,and as you can see im hyping this game.

metla
05-11-2004, 08:47 AM
>>Just out of interest, what would everyone pick as their favourite games of the year?

Doom3.

especially as the room flashes,you momenterially see all the evil around you,the blood,the dead,the possesed,the pentagons,then that quiet voices whispers "help me" from the pits of hell as flesh eating demons attack from all sides.

Well worth the admission price....

Greg S
05-11-2004, 08:48 AM
> Just out of interest, what would everyone pick as
> their favourite games of the year?
>
> Rome Total War is mine

I've heard great things about that game. In fact I've even got the t-shirt! :D
front (http://zulu.orcon.net.nz/rometshirtfront.jpg)
back (http://zulu.orcon.net.nz/rometshirtback.jpg)

But my fave is still the freebie America's Army

Pete O\'Neil
05-11-2004, 09:22 AM
Did Starwars Knights of the Old Republic come out this year? That would have to be one of my favourite games, one of the few games i played all the way ot the end. DOOM3 was a huge let down, BFV and UT2k4 are solid rehash's of classsic. But KOTOR takes the cake nothing beats being a Jedi.

Greg S
05-11-2004, 09:31 AM
I got Star Wars Galactic Empires this year - a rehash of Age Of Kings, same engine etc. Very cool

POTUS
05-11-2004, 09:39 AM
I got Rise of Nations with the Throne & Patriots pack a little while ago. As a Age of Empires nut going back to the first one, I think the new elements like Conquor the World are great - I was also a Risk nut in my pre-computer years.

Pete O\'Neil
05-11-2004, 09:42 AM
> I got Star Wars Galactic Empires this year - a rehash
> of Age Of Kings, same engine etc. Very cool
The graphics engines pretty dated isnt it? I found it difficult to play with the "limited" graphics. Just got a copy of Starwars Battleground looks good, the one thats like BF1942 but with jedi and cool starwars things.

chiefnz
05-11-2004, 10:19 AM
Mine would definitely have to be Doom 3 and Call of Duty - United Offensive. I know United Offensive is an expansion but it plays awesome.

I hope they make more in future.

cheers

chiefnz

Greg S
05-11-2004, 10:31 AM
> I was also a Risk nut
> in my pre-computer years.

Go RISK! I remember mammoth 7 hour sessions of that game! I made up a customised board 144 territories and about 20 continents! *sigh* it was a thing of beauty ;)

45South
05-11-2004, 10:45 AM
downloaded & installed the demo & on the strength of the graphics etc I'm gonna buy it I like it
As far as favourite game goes I don't have one but my 10yr olds have got Asterix & Obilox (think that's how it's spelt) and they love it
Must admit it has the best graphics in any nippers PC game I've seen yet.

metla
05-11-2004, 10:48 AM
>Just
> got a copy of Starwars Battleground looks good, the
> one thats like BF1942 but with jedi and cool starwars
> things.

Was lookin at that one myself,do the servers have a healthy population?,any local servers?,...i do believe that its based on the BF engine so is it next to useless as a single player game?

And is it true that you can't be a jedi or have a light sabar but are relegated to foot soldier?

Biggles
05-11-2004, 11:11 AM
>I hope they make more in future.

Activision has announced Call of Duty 2 for it's "fiscal 2006 year" which means between April 2005 and March 2006.

metla
05-11-2004, 11:16 AM
Any idea what engine it will be based on?

Seeing as call of duty was built on the Quake (correct me if im wrong) engine would it not be pretty damn sweet if Call of Duty 2 was built on the Doom3 engine????1111

Pete O\'Neil
05-11-2004, 11:34 AM
Sorry havent played it yet Metla, forgot to pay my internet bill so i hooked my PC up to the TV to watch DVD's. When i reconnet to my monitor i'll see what its like. Ive heard you can play as Darth Vador, or you atleast get to fight him, agreed i dont expect it to have a decent single player but multiplayer should be awsome.

Megaman
05-11-2004, 11:54 AM
> Just out of interest, what would everyone pick as
> their favourite games of the year?

Pong

Seriously. My all time favourite is The Sims Superstar

Biggles
05-11-2004, 12:00 PM
>Call of Duty 2 was built on the Doom3 engine????1111

They haven't said yet, as far as I'm aware. The existance/plan for it was made by Activision when they were announcing their financial results and plans for the next financial year, so the news didn't come from the developers, Infinity Ward.

That said, the Doom 3 engine seems lilkely - heck licensing is mostly what it's about and the Quake 3 engine is the basis of CoD. Unless they've been doing their own engine since releasing CoD, the Doom 3 engine seems the most likely option, and I don't see why they'd risk developing their own engine when there are several choices of existing engine they could use.

Pete O\'Neil
05-11-2004, 12:22 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if it isnt the DOOM3 engine, from what ive seen of the D3 engine its not the best at rendering outdoor scenes. The levels that i played of CoD were based mostly outdoors, other engines such as the Unreal2, Farcry and Source engines all easily render outdoor scenes.

But then again why change with tradition? it'll be interesting to see what sort of games are made with the D3 engine.

Has anybody seen the screenies of the Unreal3 engine? Now that is a engine, it makes D3 look like childs play.

robert_m_r_w
05-11-2004, 01:00 PM
No body picked Sims 2 as their game of the year? (a game that shipped without the delays or drama compared to other version "2" games)

metla
05-11-2004, 01:04 PM
I would be interested to know what you have seen using the doom3 engine rendering outdoor scenes?,as far as i know the only available software running the d3 engine is doom3.....which is indoors....

Biggles
05-11-2004, 01:09 PM
I wouldn't take the lack of outdoor scenes in Doom 3 as indicative that it cannot do them - this was an artistic design decision about Doom 3 and does not necessarily mean the engine cannot do it. Quake IV is also on Activision's schedule for fiscal 2006, and I don't see id creating 2 new game engines. So I'm willing to bet Quake IV will be using the Doom3 engine or further development of it.

alphazulusixeightniner
05-11-2004, 03:57 PM
> I would be interested to know what you have seen using the doom3 engine rendering outdoor scenes?,as far as i know the only available software running the d3 engine is doom3.....which is indoors....

Doom3 is outdoors in some parts... when you're going through the airlocks and you're gasping for air take a quick look around.

metla
05-11-2004, 04:03 PM
True,but your still confined to a path way,Thats not quite like the wide open country side,populated with dozens of soldiers all engaged in gunfights,with explosions going off,search lights pointed at the sky,planes over head,canons lading around you meyhem as is to be expected in a Call of Duty game.

The wide open areas in Doom3 are no more then a backdrop.

crazy monkey
05-11-2004, 04:46 PM
What are the system requirements for flatout?

alphazulusixeightniner
05-11-2004, 05:21 PM
I'm going to download that demo after I've finished some work. It's not on the JSG realm is it?

Shaun Minfie
05-11-2004, 05:47 PM
Not that I can see. I grabbed it from Metlas link.

Sheer bloody brilliance to be honest.

Its grabbed the best elements of alot of driving games and thrown in a great damage model with lots of fun.

11 days till HL2

Then I'll vote on game of the year and not before.

Chemical Ali
05-11-2004, 06:00 PM
Rise of Nations with the Thrones & Patriots expansion pack -- EASILY GAME OF THE YEAR!!!
(:

ferrite
05-11-2004, 06:43 PM
and in the worst game of the year category the winner is tomb raider angel of darkness.

Meg_h_nz
05-11-2004, 07:55 PM
Sims2 would have to be the best game for me!
I LOVE it! The graphics make Sims look two dimentional <bg>

metla
05-11-2004, 08:01 PM
> What are the system requirements for flatout?

MINIMUM:
1.5 GHz Pentium 4 or AMD Equivalent
256 MB RAM
64 MB Graphics Card
DirectX Compatible Sound Card
1.1 GB of free Hard Drive Space
Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
DirectX 9.0c

RECOMMEND:
2.0 GHz Pentium 4 or AMD 2000+
512 MB RAM
128 MB Graphics Card
DirectX Compatible Sound Card
Gamepad or Steering Wheel
Windows XP SP2

Apparently it does strange things if youy don't have the required dx version,and has issues with 1 set of nvidia drivers...

J ZEP
06-11-2004, 02:16 PM
The gamer in our house likes/votes "Doom 3" and "Call of Duty".

Chiefnz - thanks for the heads up on the expansion pack for "Call of Duty", my partner will be most interested to hear that ;-).

Metla - "Flatout" sounds like the go too, unfortunately our specs won't be up to scratch for it :-(, as i am sure my partner would have liked it. Anyway would have to wait for the demo to come out on cd with the Slow connection we have here.

>>>RECOMMEND:2.0 GHz Pentium 4 or AMD 2000+
>>>Gamepad or Steering Wheel

We have got an amd xp 1600+, the rest of the specs would be suitable though and it would have given him an excuse to buy that Steering wheel he has been wanting to get too ;-).

metla
06-11-2004, 02:21 PM
As far as wheels go,DSE have some excellently priced Logitech units on there site at the mo,

As to the specs,if you can run doom3 at a playable level on that rig then Flatout will go like a bowl of chicken at an african summit meeting.

Pete O\'Neil
06-11-2004, 03:04 PM
Just played a few rounds of Star Wars Battlefront, the graphics are a lil bit better than the Battlefeild series and the AI seems a lil smarter.

The menu system is horrible and difficult to use, theres alot of loading, even more than Battlefield. You need to turn your head on an angle to figure out what your clicking on, its just very bloated

The gameplay itself doesnt feel very smooth and the levels are poorly designed. They seem like big blobs of colour without any defining features, i often found myself lost in the level. Once you get past the novelty of playing as Star Wars characters it really does start to lose its appeal. The controls seem a lil bit flawed and the weapons dont really seem to be any different. Where as battlefield was very tactical and the weapons you chose made a difference, with this games the lame lil laser "pow pow" rifle thingy seems stock for all.

The battle droids that role around with sheilds are amusing to play as, but suck in battle. They're difficult to control and have crappy weapons, you can play as a Wookie but they suck. The storm troppers are probably the most polished but there is much difference between the different types of infantry.

The vehicles arent much better either, so far ive found a imperial speeder bike which hates any terain thats not flat, you need the force in real life to control it. There are some big animal thingys you can ride that look like a cross between a horse and an elephant. Their not particularly fast and have no weapons so become kind of pointless, but are fun to shoot.

All up it just seems very overwhelming, lackluster and nowhere near as polished as the Battlefeild series.

J ZEP
06-11-2004, 03:05 PM
> As far as wheels go,DSE have some excellently priced Logitech units on there site at the mo

Cheers Metla, $108 definately sounds better than $254 for those wheels!!

> As to the specs,if you can run doom3 at a playable level on that rig then Flatout will go like a bowl of chicken at an african summit meeting.

Handy to know, thanks :-). Actually i think that the upgrade on the video card to the 256mb Radeon 9600pro and changing to DDR Ram made a good difference in his gaming experience too... (Well i haven't had any complaints from him about the game performanc, yet...;) ).

metla
06-11-2004, 03:24 PM
107.24m is the best driver launch i have done so far.....

45South
01-12-2004, 11:46 AM
I tried the flatout demo & liked it
Now I've just got the full version & it rocks!!
I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I do like the odd racing game & I've tried lot's of them
But this one beats 'em all hands down, graphics are awesome & options available are many.
I'm off to look for a wheel, although it does play great on the keyboard
GAME OF THE YEAR if you're into racing

Ferroshus
01-12-2004, 12:21 PM
Hi Ho,
well for my 2 cents worth!
1.Half Life 2
2.Farcry
3.Painkiller
4.Doom 3

But there always room at the top , so I'm of to get Flatout and put it through its paces!

noone
01-12-2004, 12:24 PM
^^^dont you like halo 2 , i like doom 3 better then painkiller , my 3 cents

metla
01-12-2004, 12:31 PM
For me,

Doom3
CounterStike:Source

Only fired Halflife2 up for a few minutes,got bored before the game even got underway, Counterstike was good though,First time i have ever played was a couple days ago, And i have been looking for a good online game to make use of my ADSL, Even managed quite a few kills which surprised the hell out of me.

Growly
01-12-2004, 12:42 PM
Counter-Strike: Source
Counter-Strike...

Ferroshus
01-12-2004, 12:43 PM
> ^^^don't you like halo 2 , i like doom 3 better then
> painkiller , my 3 cents

Unfortunately Halo 2 is only on Xbox at the moment, and I refuse to play first person shooters on my Xbox as I can't turn around fast enough!!

lagbort
01-12-2004, 02:11 PM
For me its
NFSU2
UT2004
v8 supercars race driver 2
Postal 2

Biggles
01-12-2004, 03:27 PM
>Only fired Halflife2 up for a few minutes,got bored before the game even got underway, Counterstike was good though

Well I'm the oposite. Love HL2, best single-player FPS fun I've had in years, but I guess it's just a matter of taste. Played CS for years - we used to run our own internal server and have lunchtime matches but alas most of the serious players have left over the years ..... sniff.

I've tried CS:S and yeah it's fun and all but nothing to make me want to return to it long term. Now DoD: Source on the other hand. I can't wait for that.

fus1_n
01-12-2004, 03:29 PM
> Unfortunately Halo 2 is only on Xbox at the moment,
> and I refuse to play first person shooters on my Xbox
> as I can't turn around fast enough!!

Immagian how bad UT2004 would be on Xbox. You wouldn't be able to dodge, double jump, or doge double jump. Wall dodge would be impossibe. Halo 2 is probably as bad as the first one.

best GOTY for me:
UT2k4
Battlefield Vietnam
Need for Speed Underground

willie_M
01-12-2004, 04:49 PM
Well half life and counterstrike were a joke (/me bashes cs fans), Doom 3 scared the **** out of me so I deleted after the 3rd or 4th level so my fav's would have to be:

1. NFSU2
2. San Andreas
3. UT2004

Although I have not played V8 Supercars 2 I have heard excellent things about it... I must get hold of it...

Growly
01-12-2004, 04:50 PM
Oh, and I loved Solitaire too.

metla
02-12-2004, 10:14 AM
> >Only fired Halflife2 up for a few minutes,got bored
> before the game even got underway, Counterstike was
> good though
>
> Well I'm the oposite. Love HL2, best single-player
> FPS fun I've had in years, but I guess it's just a
> matter of taste. Played CS for years - we used to run
> our own internal server and have lunchtime matches
> but alas most of the serious players have left over
> the years ..... sniff.
>
> I've tried CS:S and yeah it's fun and all but nothing
> to make me want to return to it long term. Now DoD:
> Source on the other hand. I can't wait for that.

I'm sure I will enjoy Half-life once i get around to devoting a bit of time to it ,and the likes of Counter Stike are still new to me,When everybody was playing it in its heyday i was concentrating on the online aspect of Motocross Madness 2,....the greatest game ever made.....lmao.

Halflife 2 deathmatch was released recently as well,looks stunning,Had connection problems initially so didnt get to give it a good cane...

noone
02-12-2004, 10:16 AM
Postal II - have you played that , lucky you , although i can see why they banned it

metla
02-12-2004, 10:19 AM
Postal 2 was the crappiest crap that ever crapped a crap,and thats ignoring what it was banned for.....which was all quite humerous,lmao,The gameplay was the height of suckdom.

god that game sucked,Suckiest suck that ever sucked a suck.

noone
02-12-2004, 10:21 AM
have you played it metla

metla
02-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Indeed,and i would guess it was well over a year ago.

I have no idea why they are banning it now.......

noone
02-12-2004, 10:27 AM
shows how behind we are , in little New Zealand

willie_M
02-12-2004, 12:37 PM
I played that game, I was so disgusted I gave it away...

I don't even think manhunt was as bad as it.... but manhunt was sick... I felt sick playing that game.... cept for the shooting parts of course...

The engine in manhunt was great...

Never did clock it tho, the pig guy would just sit there doing nothing even when I whacked him.... wouldn't complete the game....

mejobloggs
02-12-2004, 04:15 PM
Flatout is cool! I got the demo from jetstreamgames when it first went on there, not knowing what it was.

It is good as, and even runs ok on my geforce 2.

Buster
02-12-2004, 04:26 PM
Need for Speed Underground 2 is my pick then a close second for Half Life 2 and then Flatout.

I wonder what LOTR RTS game will be like??

nalla
02-12-2004, 06:25 PM
As an old dude I find using a keyboard for driving games almost impossible. In this game I have tried 4 times and have not got round the first corner!!! For those that don,t leave the track you are missing some great scenery in the trees and when you have a big prang you fly out of the car. Anyway are there any secret tips beside practice or a wheel to using the keyboard, or do I stick to FPS?

metla
02-12-2004, 06:41 PM
Button off the throttle well before the corner and throw it sideways.

This isn't need for speed,you do need to scrub off/regulate speed for the corners....the brake is handy in this regard as well....

nalla
02-12-2004, 06:50 PM
Thanks Metla
Hells Bells so busy steering and throttling I forgot about the brakes--I will have another go --Cheers
Graphics are great

lagbort
02-12-2004, 07:50 PM
Yeah that flatout game is fun, 124m driver launch :D

But seriously how can you hate postal 2, sure the gratuitous violence may be a bit overdone, but in terms of sheer gameplay I have found no other game to date where i can just go and release my frustrations in a completly random fashion with such great results :p

But yes I will definately hav to get my hands on this flatout game

John Grieve
02-12-2004, 09:32 PM
Rome - Total War
UT 2004

noone
03-12-2004, 12:12 AM
any one whats install for 2005 ?

willie_M
03-12-2004, 01:05 AM
GT4?
Quake 4?

Thats the only ones I can think of...

Buster
03-12-2004, 10:59 AM
Battlefield 2 maybe??

Call of Duty 2 or maybe come out 2006

> any one whats install for 2005 ?

mejobloggs
03-12-2004, 03:14 PM
Im waiting for X2 - The Return, coming out start of 2005.

Im waiting for a new graphics card too :( I think I am going to be waiting a long time.

metla
03-12-2004, 03:20 PM
I think just about everyone is after a new video card.....

.....As soon as mine sells I'm in the market.....

lagbort
03-12-2004, 03:26 PM
> I think just about everyone is after a new video
> card.....
I'm not..... :p

metla
03-12-2004, 03:31 PM
But you probally will be in 6 months.......

flotus
03-12-2004, 03:32 PM
> Postal 2 was the crappiest crap that ever crapped a
> crap,and thats ignoring what it was banned
> for.....which was all quite humerous,lmao,The
> gameplay was the height of suckdom.
>
>
> god that game sucked,Suckiest suck that ever sucked a
> suck.

Wow, that was a really compelling critique! Your educational standard really shinned through that time! ;)

Buster
03-12-2004, 03:43 PM
Yeah i am after a new card too. Ti4200 is a bit weak now. 6600GT runs very well i was rather impressed with it. For $400 it is the best card for your buck by far.....

> I think just about everyone is after a new video
> card.....
>
>
> .....As soon as mine sells I'm in the market.....

lagbort
03-12-2004, 04:20 PM
> But you probally will be in 6 months.......

I have a 6800gt....., I would have to be power mad to want a new card :p

metla
03-12-2004, 04:46 PM
> I have a 6800gt....., I would have to be power mad to
> want a new card :p

I'm pretty sure owning a 6800gt (and i'm sure someone mentioned a gig and a half of ram) qualifies you for being power mad. :D

Growly
03-12-2004, 04:50 PM
>I have a 6800gt....., I would have to be power mad to want a new card

What metla said still stands, methinks.

vk_dre
03-12-2004, 05:13 PM
my picks for games of the year would be Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater & GTA San Andreas

mejobloggs
03-12-2004, 09:38 PM
> Yeah i am after a new card too. Ti4200 is a bit weak
> now. 6600GT runs very well i was rather impressed
> with it. For $400 it is the best card for your buck
> by far.....
>
> > I think just about everyone is after a new video
> > card.....
> >
> >
> > .....As soon as mine sells I'm in the market.....
>

Well, yes, but I think my Geforce 2 is a bit weak.

metla
03-12-2004, 10:45 PM
I've put my g4ti up on Trademe,i was going to put my g2mx up as well but saw a couple auctions where they were passed in at $1....

Biggles
03-12-2004, 11:30 PM
Bah, even though I get to play with some fancy cards when Scotty lets me, I've still got a Ti4400 in my PC. Is gettign a bit long in the tooth but HL2 has restored my faith in it .....

metla
03-12-2004, 11:39 PM
Cunning plan.

I should amend my Auction to say the card is personaly endorsed by Bruce Buckman,Big Cheese at PC World.

Might have to raise the reserve after that though,Might turn into a grilled cheese fiasco....

......Wait,maybe i should drip some melted cheese in an image of the virgen mary onto the heatsink and claim its personally endorsed by god....

Nah....thats just getting silly....

Raikyn
03-12-2004, 11:47 PM
> Nah....thats just getting silly....

Yeah... You would have to go on e-bay for that...

Biggles
04-12-2004, 12:29 AM
>Nah....thats just getting silly....

It would work though. In fact there's a whole business plan there .. .

the highlander
04-12-2004, 12:34 AM
>I've put my g4ti up on Trademe<
How much you want for it metla ?
ditto g2mx

metla
04-12-2004, 12:55 AM
$125 for the g4ti,

Dunno about the g2mx,it will probally come in handy futher down the line.

E|im
04-12-2004, 03:52 AM
> I should amend my Auction to say the card is personaly endorsed by Bruce Buckman,Big Cheese at PC World.

> Might have to raise the reserve after that though,Might turn into a grilled cheese fiasco....

> ......Wait,maybe i should drip some melted cheese in an image of the virgen mary onto the heatsink and claim its personally endorsed by god....

:^O :^O gold.

Though Metla rather than a 9800 pro I think you should get the 6600GT for < $425. It's newer and offers slightly better performance overall (up to +28% in HL2) and excels at Doom3 etc. You don't have to get the girly Sparkler edition if you don't want to. :^O

metla
04-12-2004, 09:11 AM
Currently unable to source the 6600gt wholesale........

Growly
04-12-2004, 09:59 AM
metla, get Bruce to sign the card and include a T-Shirt with a picture of him on the front... or you could just include one of your metla T-Shirts...

mejobloggs
04-12-2004, 11:55 AM
While everyone is talking about graphics cards, I might ask a question.

Is there any point of me upgrading my graphics card, or will I have to upgrade the rest of my stuff too?

Athlon XP 2000
msi KT3 Ultra (Only supports AGP 4x, and 266mhz FSB's)
Geforce 2 mx 440

noone
04-12-2004, 12:10 PM
^how much ram do you have.

Duke Nukem 3d is still my all time favourite game

metla
04-12-2004, 12:36 PM
> While everyone is talking about graphics cards, I
> might ask a question.
>
> Is there any point of me upgrading my graphics card,
> or will I have to upgrade the rest of my stuff too?
>
> Athlon XP 2000
> msi KT3 Ultra (Only supports AGP 4x, and 266mhz
> FSB's)
> Geforce 2 mx 440

Hell Yes,Right now your g4mx is the bottleneck,a new card will give your system much better legs.

and then most probally your amount of ram will be the bottleneck,but she will fly with a decent video card...

mejobloggs
04-12-2004, 04:18 PM
I have 512mb ram.

I thought upgrading the graphics card wouldnt do much, because my motherboard only supports agp 4x. Not true?

Is a Geforce 4 Ti 4200 64 mb any good? I have one of those in a nearly dead computer somewhere. But I would have to wait about half a year before I could get my hands on it.

I don't want to spend any more than $200. I am wanting it for X2 - The Return. Which is a while away, so I guess I shall wait untill then.

fus1_n
04-12-2004, 08:24 PM
> I thought upgrading the graphics card wouldnt do
> much, because my motherboard only supports agp 4x.
> Not true?
Your fine with 4x.

> Is a Geforce 4 Ti 4200 64 mb any good? I have one of
> those in a nearly dead computer somewhere. But I
> would have to wait about half a year before I could
> get my hands on it.
YESSSSS!!!!! the 64 MB version has a higher core and mem clock than the 128 mb version, so it goes faster most times, but slower sometimes because of the 64 mb.

> I don't want to spend any more than $200. I am
> wanting it for X2 - The Return. Which is a while
> away, so I guess I shall wait untill then.
The Ti will peform as good as any $200 card.

mejobloggs
04-12-2004, 09:48 PM
wow, sounds good then. I just have to wait for a while :(

Biggles
04-12-2004, 10:06 PM
>The Ti will peform as good as any $200 card.

Precisely why I haven't upgraded my Ti4400 - which is 128MB but really only slightly beefier than the 4200. No point in spending less than $500 to replace as I wouldn't gain enough and it still performs adequately for the majority of games Ii play.

metla
04-12-2004, 10:21 PM
Hmmm......while its true that the G4ti series has enough raw grunt to get playable frames per second on all games, they are getting to the point where selecting low detail settings is becoming common, then when you take into consideration that anti-aliasing kills them, antriscopic filtering stuns them and they are incapable of dx9 effects..........All of which enhance visual quality by a hefty amount.

Not to say that makes it worthwhile whacking down a fistful of gold, But I'm getting eager for a new card,especially with a monitor that can display 1600x1200.....

Biggles
04-12-2004, 11:02 PM
Hey, not saying I don't want a new card, just that I can't have one right now and that given that, I'm fairly impressed with the Ti4400's ability to last so far.

But that said, I don't use anti-aliasing and don't go above 1152 x 864 and in some games - MOHPA for example - I need to drop back to 1024 x 768. There are few games where I need to drop down to the lowest quality settings. It's adequate, and that's better than not being able to afford a new card and being stuck with one that only lets me do 800 x 600 at the lowest quality settings. I figure a decent replacement that is going to last as well as this one has will set me back a minimum of $500, probably closer to $600, which isn't in the budget right now.

metla
04-12-2004, 11:09 PM
I wasn't trying to argue the point,just discussing video cards, :D

If i can't get what i want for my g4ti i will be quite happy to hang onto it for another 6 months to a year,.....heck,before this card i perservered with a G2mx for 2 or 3 years.....

And now i think about it,My g2mx cost more then my g4ti......

mejobloggs
06-12-2004, 10:25 AM
Yeah, I have had my Gf 2 for about 3 years.

Buster
06-12-2004, 10:59 AM
I had my MX400 for 2 years area and then to my Ti4200 had that now 2 years now thinking to go to 6600GT. Just been evaluating the card and it is a good performer, it gets 7500 area 2003 3Dmark mark points and the 6800 non ultra gets 8900 area in my PC not bad for the $200+ price difference. Tough call to upgrade now or later hmmmm

> Yeah, I have had my Gf 2 for about 3 years.

noone
06-12-2004, 01:00 PM
I think people are getting just a bit carried away with graphics cards these days , half life 2 only requires dx7 , and you dont need all those aa etc effects to enjoy the game , with the way technology is changing if you buy the top of the range card today, tomorrow it will be as crap as intergrated graphics

metla
07-12-2004, 03:14 PM
> I think people are getting just a bit carried away
> with graphics cards these days , half life 2 only
> requires dx7 , and you dont need all those aa etc
> effects to enjoy the game , with the way technology
> is changing if you buy the top of the range card
> today, tomorrow it will be as crap as intergrated
> graphics

By that logic a trip to Auckland only requires a Mark3 Cortina, the difference between hl2 on a dx7 card and a dx9 card would be like night and day....Anyhow i for one enjoy quality graphics,quality audio,quality gameplay......Its all good in my book.

and my 6600GT arrives tomorrow....w00t w00t111

noone
07-12-2004, 03:15 PM
but even a ATI 9200 can handle dx9

metla
07-12-2004, 03:21 PM
Yeah,at 3fps,......

Prescott
07-12-2004, 03:26 PM
im happy with my radeon 9600SE, it does the job, those ti4200 128mb cards are pretty good, and will last the distance

metla
07-12-2004, 03:28 PM
Pure comedy

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-535-x-9-9-x

Biggles
07-12-2004, 03:30 PM
While I'm pleasantly surprised with Hl2 and my Ti4400, there are several recent games where it struggles. So its lifetime is limited now.

I'd never buy a top of the line card because it certainly wouldn't hold its value on the price/performance curve and I wouldn't value the extra frame rates it would offer over something a bit further down the price range. I always get 2nd tier (my Ti4400 wasn't top of the range either) stuff. Same with CPUs. Of cousre, when it comes to items like cars, I'm more like 4th or 5th tier . . . . . .

It all comes down to how much you personally value the improvements on offer for the extra dollars. I personally wouldn't buy a consumer-digicam because something like a Canon 300D DSLR -- for me -- leaves them all dead. And of cousre a 20D leaves a 300D dead. But for other folks (millions of them, in point of fact) the things offered by a DSLR aren't worth the extra bucks. They're happy with a $799 camera. I'm like that with a video card - give me decent frame rates and good display that will last for 2 to 3 years and I'm happy. An X800 Pro with 256MB of Ram is wonderful and all, but I'm not going to get a significant amount of enjoyment out of it for it to be worth the money for me.

noone
07-12-2004, 03:36 PM
metla - the 9200 is a budget card its $100 , im sure the review considered that too , i like BB dont like spending large amounts of pc componants ( my new rig was purchaced a few days before PCI-E etc was introduced ) as i realise how fast technology changes and i just dont have the money to buy a $1000 ~ componant which will be obsolete in a years time

metla
07-12-2004, 03:54 PM
Thanks for pointing out that was the budget card,.........HA

Anyhow,the relivent info was the fps and the fact its not a Dx9 card,and as far as i'm concerned not a wise purchase if games are a consideration.

As for what Bruce said, I couldn't agree more,thats why i own a g4ti4200,The bottom of that particuler range and i still waited untill the price droped by a decent amount before making a purchase.

And my new card is decidely midrange as well, If i happened to have a thousand dollars in my pocket then i could find something far more worthwhile to do with it then buy a top end card.

noone
07-12-2004, 04:27 PM
just to clear this up i dont own a 9200 btw , Metla , the 9200 can run dx9 , although i do agree with you in its preformance , my 9600XT is good enough for me and the next time i upgrade my pc it will be with pci e ( hopefullly no new bus wil l be just around the corner next time )

metla
07-12-2004, 04:29 PM
Straight out of the article.

the Radeon 9200 does not have full DX9 hardware support. This doesn't mean that the Radeon 9200 won't play DX9 games when they eventually come out; rather, the 9200 won't support some of the DX9-specific features that the new games use.

noone
07-12-2004, 04:43 PM
ok - yet for basic users ( including gaming ) imo this card is enough - prob some time next year you wont be able to use it for the latest gaming but thats how the cookie crumbles. Technology is good how it advances faster then software tech so that you do not always feel pressured to upgrade - for people with small pockets (me)

mejobloggs
07-12-2004, 04:54 PM
I wouldn't mind a Direct X 9 card, but the time I get one, Direct X 10 will probably be out.

I might have to buy another gf 4 ti, because I dont want to have to wait untill halfway through next year for my Dads one :(

noone
07-12-2004, 05:10 PM
forget it mejobloggs , even if you get the best graphics card now by middle of next year you will be saying the same thing again , i recently got a new rig as my parents did not see the reason in buying one which good stats when all they do is surf the net , and well its already pretty much out of date and i might soon have to start saving for a new one :_|

Please dont remind me of dx10 - my 9600xt may not even be able to handle that.