ive been thinking of downloading kazza light is it a good programe

peters
04-11-2004, 09:09 PM
yes works really well.
Pete

gradebdan
Hi
I use WINMX and have never had any problems with spyware in 3 years. Whereas I have heard some stories re Kazza. even lite..

45South
No, it will cause more problems than it is worth unless you are pretty savvy & can deal with the hassles it will cause you i.e viruses, spyware,

whtafo
04-11-2004, 09:10 PM
1. Illegal
2. Pretty sure it's tough to get it.
3, The network is crap and over run with intentionally poisoned downloads courtesy of large music companies.
4. http://www.emule-project.net

45South
04-11-2004, 09:14 PM
ftp's

sam_baird2003
04-11-2004, 09:15 PM
thanks ive been using winmx (and i will continue to use it its great)
but ive been trying to download farenhight 9/11 and its taking ages on winmx

45South
04-11-2004, 09:25 PM
>but ive been trying to download farenhight 9/11 and its taking ages on winmx
You'll only be able to download as fast as the file is being served & that will depend on how many users are downloading at any one time & the sharers bandwidth of course. If he's on dialup that's as fast as you will get it.
But I don't think you should be telling the world what you are downloading....

whtafo
04-11-2004, 09:39 PM
> but ive been trying to download farenhight 9/11 and
> its taking ages on winmx

Try Fahrenheit 9/11 - correct spelling might find more sources.

alphazulusixeightniner
05-11-2004, 01:15 AM
> Try Fahrenheit 9/11 - correct spelling might find more sources.

Hahaha

That's the beauty of verified downloads.

http://www.shareconnector.com
http://www.suprnova.org

You can download interesting stuff like the presential debates too.

alphazulusixeightniner
05-11-2004, 01:17 AM
> presential

presidential

(+1 post count)

Greg S
05-11-2004, 08:52 AM
Yeah Kazaa Lite is great - no spyware or any other crud, and although waning in popularity, it still has around 2.5 million users online at any given time

POTUS
05-11-2004, 09:10 AM
> ive been trying to download farenhight 9/11

Why would you want to declare that you're a thief on a public forum? Would you doom the same for speeding or shoplifting? Stealing movies and music is OK?

whtafo
05-11-2004, 09:15 AM
> Why would you want to declare that you're a thief on
> a public forum? Would you doom the same for speeding
> or shoplifting? Stealing movies and music is OK?

I speed.

*waits for the ticket to be sent*

Greg S
05-11-2004, 09:17 AM
> > Why would you want to declare that you're a thief
> on
> > a public forum? Would you doom the same for
> speeding
> > or shoplifting? Stealing movies and music is OK?
>
> I speed.
>
> *waits for the ticket to be sent*

:^O lol

POTUS
05-11-2004, 09:54 AM
Greg S > lol

That was funny because.....?

I made a valid point It's people like me, who pay for software, that have to cover the cost of software theft. Just as the customer of a shop ultimately caries the can for shoplifting.

But it seems OK to steal software, but wrong to hold up a bank? So many double standard in the world today that I get confused.

Pete O\'Neil
05-11-2004, 10:12 AM
> I made a valid point It's people like me, who pay for
> software, that have to cover the cost of software
> theft. Just as the customer of a shop ultimately
> caries the can for shoplifting.
>
> But it seems OK to steal software, but wrong to hold
> up a bank? So many double standard in the world today
> that I get confused.
Irrelivant of your feelings in regards to pirated software, the original poster is a complete moron for saying he wants to download movies on a public forum.

Greg S
05-11-2004, 10:25 AM
> Greg S > lol
>
> That was funny because.....?

Because perhaps he and I take life a little less seriously than most.

I don't like to flout the law; I try to be a conscientious citizen and tax-payer, but honestly, do-gooders can sometimes take things to the extreme.

You're paying a high price for software/videos/music whatever, not because of piracy, but because of GREED. Greed on the part of the developers and distributors. Music on records, tapes and CD's has always been disproprtionately priced, long before the popularity of peer-to-peer file sharing.

[rhetorical question]
Why are the artists and movie stars/producers/directors and the likes of Sony so incredibly wealthy?
[/rhetorical question]

agent
05-11-2004, 10:35 AM
> It's people like me, who pay for software, that have to cover the cost of software theft

Er, he said he was downloading a movie, not software. And Michael Moore did say for people to go right ahead and download his movie, because he wanted as many people as possible to see it.

However, there are several underlying issues with regards to people illegally sourcing software and/or entertainment. Some of it is a rebellion against what is seen as high prices that aren't justified. Yes, partly there is the catch-22 situation, but it's quite likely that if prices were dropped on software and entertainment (movies, music, what have you), more people would legitimately fork out their money.

I don't believe there is a double standard, I think it's more to do with digital crimes being easier to commit than, say, robbing a bank. How hard is it to burn a copy of a music CD? How much does it cost to do this, when CD writers are widespread and blank media can be found for less than $1 per CD? Now compare that to the cost and effort of planning to rob a bank, buying equipment to do so, and facing the fact that you are far more likely to be caught.

I'm not advocating that we should erode public rights, or that Trusted Computing should be implemented. What I'm saying is that it's easy to go over the speed limit, it's easy to download a song, it's easy to find serial keys for software. We shouldn't focus so much on making it harder to do these things, but on making it easier to not do these things (although that would be rather hard to do with regards to going over the speed limit).

Some people use open source software rather than illegal copies of commercial software. Which do you think is the better choice? And how might you go around promoting that better choice, so that you don't have to personally cover the cost of software piracy?

POTUS
05-11-2004, 10:41 AM
> Because perhaps he and I take life a little less seriously than most.

So, theft is OK as long as we're not taking it seriously.

> I don't like to flout the law; I try to be a conscientious citizen and tax-payer, but honestly, do-gooders can sometimes take things to the extreme.

So, theft is OK as long as we're conscentious and paying our taxes.

> You're paying a high price for software/videos/music whatever, not because of piracy, but because of GREED. Greed on the part of the developers and distributors. Music on records, tapes and CD's has always been disproprtionately priced, long before the popularity of peer-to-peer file sharing.

But it's not greedy to take software/videos/music without paying for them?

> Why are the artists and movie stars/producers/directors and the likes of Sony so incredibly wealthy?

Modern society rewards those that entertain us (music companies, singers, actors, sports people) far more than those who look after us (Doctors, nurses, etc). It doesn't matter whether it's right or wrong, it's legal. But it doesn't make it right for the poor steal from the rich.

My point was actually more to do with the public self-outing of the theif in a public forum.

POTUS
05-11-2004, 11:05 AM
> he said he was downloading a movie, not software.

A moot point, but movies are considered a form of sftware.

> Michael Moore did say for people to go right ahead and download his movie

Got a link for that?

> but it's quite likely that if prices were dropped on software and entertainment (movies, music, what have you), more people would legitimately fork out their money.

Most people do fork out the money. I don't think that DVDs are so incredibly overpriced. I bought Shrek 2 for my daughter a couple of days ago for les that $25. Cinemas are very expensive IMHO, so would it be OK if I sneak in the back door? $100 for a game that I will play for months, too much? Wait for it to come out on a budget price.

> I don't believe there is a double standard, I think it's more to do with digital crimes being easier to commit than, say, robbing a bank. How hard is it to burn a copy of a music CD? How much does it cost to do this, when CD writers are widespread and blank media can be found for less than $1 per CD? Now compare that to the cost and effort of planning to rob a bank, buying equipment to do so, and facing the fact that you are far more likely to be caught

Where do you suggest society draws the line? Software piracy? (it's OK 'cos Sony is rich) Shoplifting? (it's OK 'cos the store is wealthy) Mugging old ladies? (it's OK 'cos she's old anyway) Car theft? (it's OK 'cos he had a better car than me). We all have a choice as to where we want to cross the line, some people would never consider speeding, while others are happy to steal your car for a bit of fun. Some people are willing to commit murder to get what they want.

Many people believe that the fabric of society has been unravelling over the last few decades. Much or what is accepted today would have been frowned upon 10 or 20 or 30 years ago. Many major crims start their careers by pinching a lolly from the local dairy. They get away with it and get bolder and bolder.....

> Some people use open source software rather than illegal copies of commercial software. Which do you think is the better choice?

If you don't want to pay for it, don't use it. Simple really.

> how might you go around promoting that better choice, so that you don't have to personally cover the cost of software piracy?

By objecting, loudy, when I see (or hear of) such theft.

agent
05-11-2004, 12:08 PM
I do have a link, as a matter of fact. An article in the Sunday Herald (http://www.sundayherald.com/43167).

I personally think a better alternative to complaining loudly when you hear of software piracy is to advocate that people move to open source software. Promote it, get people using it, tell them all about the software that replaces Word, Outlook, and Internet Explorer. Tell them how it's more stable and secure. Tell them it's free.

I don't think software piracy is going to go away anytime soon. We see rampant piracy in Asia because people simply cannot afford legitimate software, movies, and music. There are economic and political reasons behind this, and until those are changed for the better, piracy will probably linger around. I'm sure that differences in pay also affect the spread of piracy in the Western world.

POTUS
05-11-2004, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the link Agent. Two points arise, the first one is the heading:
> Fury as Fahrenheit 9/11 director backs illegal not-for-profit downloads

Illegal being the operative word. The movie is still Copyright.

the second point is: I wonder if the financial backers of the movie agree with him?

I think the real point about software/movie/music theft is being honest with ones self. Accept it for what it is - theft, pure and simple. But don't try to make it sound OK by trivialising it. There are many, many people in this world who don't steal software and who don't think it's OK for others to do it. All the excuses in the world won't make it right. The big businesses still want to make $x profit on their product and if 50% of people steal it then they'll only make $x divided by 2, so the rest of use have to pay more so they can get their profit.

Greg S
05-11-2004, 12:26 PM
> > Because perhaps he and I take life a little less
> seriously than most.
>
> So, theft is OK as long as we're not taking it
> seriously.
>
> > I don't like to flout the law; I try to be a
> conscientious citizen and tax-payer, but honestly,
> do-gooders can sometimes take things to the extreme.
>
> So, theft is OK as long as we're conscentious and
> paying our taxes.
>
> > You're paying a high price for
> software/videos/music whatever, not because of
> piracy, but because of GREED. Greed on the part of
> the developers and distributors. Music on records,
> tapes and CD's has always been disproprtionately
> priced, long before the popularity of peer-to-peer
> file sharing.
>
> But it's not greedy to take software/videos/music
> without paying for them?
>
> > Why are the artists and movie
> stars/producers/directors and the likes of Sony so
> incredibly wealthy?
>
> Modern society rewards those that entertain us (music
> companies, singers, actors, sports people) far more
> than those who look after us (Doctors, nurses, etc).
> It doesn't matter whether it's right or wrong, it's
> legal. But it doesn't make it right for the poor
> steal from the rich.
>
> My point was actually more to do with the public
> self-outing of the theif in a public forum.

> he said he was downloading a movie, not software.

A moot point, but movies are considered a form of sftware.

> Michael Moore did say for people to go right ahead and download his movie

Got a link for that?

> but it's quite likely that if prices were dropped on software and entertainment (movies, music, what have you), more people would legitimately fork out their money.

Most people do fork out the money. I don't think that DVDs are so incredibly overpriced. I bought Shrek 2 for my daughter a couple of days ago for les that $25. Cinemas are very expensive IMHO, so would it be OK if I sneak in the back door? $100 for a game that I will play for months, too much? Wait for it to come out on a budget price.

> I don't believe there is a double standard, I think it's more to do with digital crimes being easier to commit than, say, robbing a bank. How hard is it to burn a copy of a music CD? How much does it cost to do this, when CD writers are widespread and blank media can be found for less than $1 per CD? Now compare that to the cost and effort of planning to rob a bank, buying equipment to do so, and facing the fact that you are far more likely to be caught

Where do you suggest society draws the line? Software piracy? (it's OK 'cos Sony is rich) Shoplifting? (it's OK 'cos the store is wealthy) Mugging old ladies? (it's OK 'cos she's old anyway) Car theft? (it's OK 'cos he had a better car than me). We all have a choice as to where we want to cross the line, some people would never consider speeding, while others are happy to steal your car for a bit of fun. Some people are willing to commit murder to get what they want.

Many people believe that the fabric of society has been unravelling over the last few decades. Much or what is accepted today would have been frowned upon 10 or 20 or 30 years ago. Many major crims start their careers by pinching a lolly from the local dairy. They get away with it and get bolder and bolder.....

> Some people use open source software rather than illegal copies of commercial software. Which do you think is the better choice?

If you don't want to pay for it, don't use it. Simple really.

> how might you go around promoting that better choice, so that you don't have to personally cover the cost of software piracy?

By objecting, loudy, when I see (or hear of) such theft.

^ ^ ^

*sigh* You have seriously got too much time on your hands!

Something you should keep in mind is that copyright infringment isn't "theft' in New Zealand no matter how much your mind is conditioned. It's not a criminal offence to copy copyrighted material. It's a civic matter.

whtafo
05-11-2004, 12:28 PM
> Got a link for that?

Got some initiative?

Take Your Pick (http://www.google.com/search?q=download+fahrenheit+9%2F11&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official)

POTUS
05-11-2004, 01:53 PM
> Got a link for that?

>> Got some initiative?

Agent had already provided a link to back his statement up. You're simply trying to stir up trouble in you own inimitable way.

metla
05-11-2004, 02:00 PM
Potus,let me see if i have a handle on this situation,

Someone is looking to use legal p2p software in order to download a file that the copyright owner has given to the public domain and you are throwing out accusations of theft?

hmmm......Your right,others must be the trouble makers.

POTUS
05-11-2004, 02:12 PM
Metla:

1. When I embarked on this particular journey I was no aware that the director had encouraged people to download the movie.

2. The director is not the copyright owner, Lions Gate Films are.

Lohsing
05-11-2004, 02:13 PM
Sorry to step in here, but isn't Kazaa Light itself a piece of illegal software? I thought it circumvented all the extras that the original had put in and was an illegal modification to an existing software.

Which would make all this talk about the legality of the P2P irrelevant in any instance.

Lo.

agent
05-11-2004, 02:28 PM
Sorry to get really picky, but all this time we've been refering to a non-existant piece of software. It's Kazaa Lite.

;)

Greg S
05-11-2004, 02:40 PM
> Sorry to step in here, but isn't Kazaa Light itself a
> piece of illegal software?

"illegal" by who's definition, or which country's?

Lohsing
05-11-2004, 03:25 PM
> > Sorry to step in here, but isn't Kazaa Light itself
> a
> > piece of illegal software?
>
> "illegal" by who's definition, or which country's?

Terms and conditions applicable by logging onto the Kazaa network.

Lo.

Lohsing
05-11-2004, 03:31 PM
> > Sorry to step in here, but isn't Kazaa Light itself
> a
> > piece of illegal software?
>
> "illegal" by who's definition, or which country's?

On December 7, 2003, the KazaaLite K++ project has been shut down by Sharman Networks.
We no longer distribute Kazaa Lite at the request of Sharman Networks, Ltd. as KazaLite is an illegal, hacked version of Kazaa.".

www.oldversion.com/program.php%3Fn%3Dkazaalite+kazaa+lite+%2B+illegal&hl=en&lr=&strip=1]Url (http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:CvSP7-uSTXMJ:[url) here.[/url].

Lo.

Graham L
05-11-2004, 03:58 PM
Of course, Sharman Networks are in serious legal ordure at the momemt themselves. Even with relays of very expensive liars (QCs) (on the third tem now) ...

Prescott
05-11-2004, 04:47 PM
*cough* if you use ur knowledge of this fourum *cough* search *cough* you will find a link from someone here*cough cough* :D