PDA

View Full Version : cd rom will not read

gradebdan
04-11-2004, 09:01 PM
i changed my son's cd rom to a 2nd hand :diamond data 36x: because the comp. would show "please
insert disc" when there was already a disc in the drive. then when i restarted the comp. it would not load
up but said "boot disc failure- please insert operating disc. i inserted the :office 2000 professional:
disc and got the same thing "boot disc fail...". i then had to put the old rom back so he could use his comp.
i was told i needed a driver so i d/l a driver :ddata214.exe: from mitsubishi electric on to my
win98se comp, opened it and installed it "cd rom driver has been installed". i then put it on a floppy and put
it in my son's comp, where when i tried to open it the comp said "c:\winnt\system 32\autoexec.nt
the system file is not suitable for running ms-dos & microsoft applications". i talked to someone at the local shop
who said some comps. will not accept some cd roms, but i doubt this. can anyone help?

45South
04-11-2004, 09:07 PM
When you installed the "new" CDROM did you ensure the jumper was set to Slave?
Or Master if it is the only device on IDE 2

Murray P
04-11-2004, 09:17 PM
MS KB Article (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767) on the autoexec.nt error.

Cheers Murray P

gradebdan
04-11-2004, 09:17 PM
I'm sorry but not savvy enough to understand. Is the jumper in the comp. and where do I find IDE2?

Murray P
04-11-2004, 09:19 PM
Hmm, I've given you a windows XP KB article, win2k is pretty much the same under the hood though, so you should be fine.

Cheers Murray P

Spacemannz
04-11-2004, 09:20 PM
The jumper is on the back of the cd. Saying either CS (cable select) MA (Master), or SL (Slave). IDE2 is on the motherboard the 2nd one apart from what the hard drive ide cable is connected to.

45South
04-11-2004, 09:21 PM
Might pay to take a crash course
http://www.waterwheel.com/Build_A_PC/build_PC_Step_4.htm

gradebdan
04-11-2004, 09:22 PM
Hi Murray p
All the ref. seemed to refer to xp whereas my son's comp is WIN2000 PROF.

Murray P
04-11-2004, 09:26 PM
The jumper is a little plastic lined connector that fits onto any two of a number of pins (or left off completely) on the back end of the CD (or hard disc) drive next to where the IDE cable plugs in. There should be a little graphic on the top of the drive case giving an explanation of where to put the jumper to achieve either: Cable select, Master or Slave.

The secondary IDE channel is on the motherboard and is where the other end from the CD of IDE cable plugs in, usually you will find a small 2 printed next to it on the boards surface. Do you have a motherboard manual?

Cheers Murray P

Murray P
04-11-2004, 09:28 PM
Might pay to do a search of the MS KB (knowledge base) or google with windows 2000 thrown into the query.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers Murray P

gradebdan
04-11-2004, 09:29 PM
The jumper on the "new" rom is set to master.
I shall set to Slave and try again tomorrow.
Would this resolve all the ( Boot disk failures)?

george12
04-11-2004, 09:39 PM
Yes, it would almost definitely fix your problems. I am pretty sure that your CD is master, on the same wire as your HDD which is also master. Change the CD to slave and all should go fine.

Also, you don't need CD-ROm drivers for any OS since Windows 95.

HTH, George

Murray P
04-11-2004, 09:43 PM
Hmm, you may have to delv into the BIOS to check what order the drives are set to boot and whether the HDD and CDrom is detected properly. But before you do that, check all the ribbon cables and power leads are plugged in properly, in the correct slot and around the right way. Not the first time and wint be the last that a misplaced cable has caused a missing system disk error.

Start working on one thing at a time. Check cables, check BIOS boot order(usually accessed by hitting the Delete key just after the POST beep in initial start up phase), eg; CD then floppy then Primary Master/HDD0

Cheers Murray P

gradebdan
07-11-2004, 05:25 PM
I changed the jumper on the cd-rom from master to slave and everything works perfectly.. So simple!!!!!
Tks for all input.

gradebdan
27-11-2004, 07:51 PM
Hi again,
After 2 weeks all ok, then the comp has reverted back to "BoOT DISK FAILU...-INSERT OPER.. DISK" I have changed thestart up order to be 1- CD,2- FLOPPY, and 3- HDD OI. because I did not have a floppy.
Now where I am up to, it takes 1.5 mins on the first page then another 1.5 mins to say "BOOT DI.........." I can not insert the cd because the tray will not open and there are no lights visible on the cd-rom. I am just wonderong if my "new" 2nd hand cd reader has gone faulty. Does anyone have any ideas?

Spacemannz
27-11-2004, 08:00 PM
Umm the first bootup disk, in the BIOS should be HDD or a hard drive. NOT the CD.

What that error means, is there is a CD in the cdrom, its set as the bootdisk in BIOS, BUT that cd in the cdrom isnt a system disk, / it isnt bootable, or similar.

Change the bootup device in BIOS to the hard drive.

And save the settings in the BIOS then reboot.

And take the cd out of the cdrom.

gradebdan
27-11-2004, 08:47 PM
I changed the order for booting to 1 hddoi, 2 cd-rom and 3 floppy but it made no difference. I still can not open the tray to see if there is a cd in there. and it still sits for ages to complete the first page.

Spacemannz
27-11-2004, 08:59 PM
I would turn the system off, open up the case, and see if theres power going to the cdrom. If it doesnt open or no lights light up on the cd, I would say theres no power going to it.

I would say its hanging on the cd if theres one in the cdrom.

Or if the power is going to the cd, turn the system off, open the case anyway and cut the power to it. Then see what happens.

gradebdan
27-11-2004, 09:17 PM
I've noticed in the past that there is a 5v and 12v supply to the cd all on one connector. Is this the conn. I remove? Before I remove it I shall check the voltages, probably in the morning as my meter is in the garage.

Spacemannz
27-11-2004, 10:39 PM
There should only be 1 connector the 4 pin molex from the power supply going to the 1 cd. When the power is off, pull the power plug to the cd out for now. See if something works then.

gradebdan
28-11-2004, 01:00 PM
I pulled out the cd rom lead and checked it's voltage, 5v and 12v. I left it disconnected and then reconnected moniter and power, now it only goes to part of the 1st page"AWARD MOD......toMEMORY TEST OK" also pressing DEL and ESC now does nothing at all

Spacemannz
28-11-2004, 01:09 PM
I would check the connections on whatever else u have in that case. The hdd, anything else, connected to IDE (what the jumper/s are on, master or slave).

And make sure the power plugs are right in on the back of the hdd/s or cd/s.

Two things maybe on master or slave or something. And there will be a conflict, on which one is what.

Graham L
28-11-2004, 02:54 PM
You have probably pulled one of the IDE data/control cables "nearly" out, and time, gravity, vibration have finished the job. Make sure all the connectors are pushed right into their sockets (especially the ones on the motherboard).

This happens ... :_| Usually you can see what you want to do, but your fingers stop you from seeing while you are doing it . ;-

gradebdan
28-11-2004, 04:24 PM
Before I start altering things I'm not too sure of. Does the fact that I changed the bootup order mean I have to rearrange SLAVE and MASTER jumpers. Everything used to work and the only physical alterations I have done so far are changed bootup order and disconnected the power feed to the cd-rom, which incidently I suppose I should reconnect this seeing as it did not have any effect.

Spacemannz
28-11-2004, 08:12 PM
NOPE. All we're trying to find out, is if anything (hdd's and cds), are jumpered properly. And none of the IDE devices, that u have installed either on primary IDE(IDE1) or secondary IDE (IDE2), are either BOTH on master (the jumpers), or BOTH on slave (the jumpers).

And that the hdd is ACTUALLY on IDE 1, and the jumper on it is on MASTER.

Whatever you change in the BIOS, for the bootup disk, has to have something on it (such as an operating system), or something that is ACTUALLY bootable. So, something actually loads/boots. The only other thing why things may NOT be working, is if the IDE ribbon is around the wrong way (ie: the red stripe SHOULD go to pin 1 on ALL IDE devices).

However, I THINK most modern mobos will ONLY let you put IDE cables in one way anyway. BUT floppy cables will ONLY work one way, BUT the cables CAN be connected either way on the floppy drive end.

gradebdan
28-11-2004, 08:34 PM
I haven't changed any jumpers. Why would I need to check slave and master Js
when the system was working previously. All cables are as before except cdrom now disconnected

Spacemannz
28-11-2004, 08:43 PM
Well good question, its either the jumpers or an IDE cable, one of them anyway is stuffed or something why nothing gets loaded or detected. And it cant be the cd since u disconnected, and the system still does nothing.

gradebdan
29-11-2004, 05:17 PM
I obtained an old cd reader which we shall call No.3.... As I had to take out No.2 cd reader I thought I would take it apart to see if there was a disc in it.There was Midtown Madness which I removed. I then reinstalled No.2 with all cables connected. Started comp. nothing worked. Getting anoyed. Took out No.2 cd reader and installed this old No. 3 1995 vintage cd reader. Behold everything works fine. Did not have to load any op system discs. Just like to confirm what is the ideal bootup sequence? likeflop hdd cd.

Rob99
29-11-2004, 05:34 PM
You can unfold a metal paperclip or use a safty pin to insert into a small hole in the front of the CD drive just under the CD tray. If you poke it in far enough it will release the CD tray so you can open it by hand.

This will not stuff the CD drive.

Spacemannz
29-11-2004, 06:00 PM
Well the ideal bootup sequence is the hdd has to boot first in order for windows to load/boot. You can put cd or floppy in any order after the hard drive then save the bios settings then reboot and away u go.

And if the system is old, having a cd or floppy in, (if either are set to bootdisk in BIOS), the system if it finds either a cd or floppy in the diskdrive, will try and boot it. And if neither are bootable or installable. It'll tell you.