PDA

View Full Version : Serious Advice on Laptops Pleeeeeese

Sherilee
04-11-2004, 05:56 PM
OK I really want a Laptop but I am a procastinator.
I have $2000 - $2500 to spend.
I want the biggest screen I can get.
DVD Don't know too much about them.
Don't let the thread die Let me know what you think.

Jen C
04-11-2004, 06:26 PM
What are you planning on using the Laptop for? Office, emailing and surfing the net only? Will it be a desktop replacement or a true portable PC - that is, will you have it plugged into the mains mostly or running off battery?

If you could post a list of what you envisage your usage to be, this will help with any suggestions. :)

Sherilee
04-11-2004, 06:40 PM
Mainly for the Caravan. I have power but no phone.
I would like to wireless connect for e-mail & surfing - don't download much, a bit of Word and playing simple games, DVD.

However I do may access to the Camp Office for the Internet but I really would like to do it without tel. connection I already have XP Home Edition and Small Business Office.

Pete O\'Neil
04-11-2004, 07:07 PM
Wireless internet and the wireless conectivity that is advertised with laptops are too very different things. If you wish to access the internet wirelessly you'll first need to find out if there is a wireless internet service in your area. Very few areas are covered by wireless internet services. Xtra provide a wireless service to some areas, Woosh is probably the biggest wireless internet provider but only has coverage in the larger centers. Wired Country offer the best wireless service but are only avaliable in the counties manukau area and auckland.

Alot of laptop have wifi which is similar to wireless internet but on a much smaller scale. It allows you to wirelessly connect to LAN, without high gain antennas the range is often no more than 100m. Wifi can allow you to surf the internet wirelessly but you still require an internet connection whether it be ADSL or Wireless. A wireless internet connection still requires cables unless you invest in a wifi network.

Acer make some good value laptops, if all your wanting to use the laptop for is basic home and office task then something based on the AthlonXP would be good value for money. The sell for a similar price to a celeron based laptop but offer better performance for the same price. DSE often have a nice AthlonXP based Acer laptop retailing for under $2000 often with freebies.

If you want the ultimate in protability then look for a Laptop with the Centrino chipset/CPU. These are ideal for anyone on the go, they have longer battery life and are lighter than laptops with desktop CPU's. They do cost more and for a decent one dont expect much change from $2500.

You really need to lay down some detail information as to what you want to use the laptop for. Alot of people assume that because its a laptop its super portible and battery life is good. Alot of laptops are sold as desktop replacements and may last less than 2 hours when using the battery.

Sherilee
04-11-2004, 07:51 PM
http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/featured_notebooks?c=nz&l=en&s=dhs

What do you reckon of this Dell 8600

Jen C
04-11-2004, 08:00 PM
That looks nice, it is a Centrino as well. It has a nice wide screen with a good resolution. I would upgrade the DVD-ROM to a combo CD-RW/DVD-ROM though, and go for the upgrade RAM to 512MB total. Both of these upgrades will bring the price to $2,241.00

Chemical Ali
04-11-2004, 08:22 PM
Yeah 512MB of RAM is a must really and do seriously consider Jen C's opinion on the optical drive upgrade as is an expensive business to 'swap out' a CD-RW drive later on for a combo CD-RW/DVD or even a DVD writer drive.
Acer make nice laptops (I have one!) but any major brand would be okay.
Just make sure it has spare PCMICA slots to take your wireless network card.

metla
04-11-2004, 09:09 PM
I haven't looked at the link,but i would sugest buying a unit from a store,face to face contact is far better then a help line to Indonesia.

Baldy
04-11-2004, 11:00 PM
> Yeah 512MB of RAM is a must really and do seriously

Isn't it funny how everyone needs that much, when only a couple of years ago 64mb was considered ample.

I blame it on WinXP

(sorry to but in on the thread, but Chemical Ali, your statement amused me)

Sherilee
04-11-2004, 11:24 PM
The Dell with upgrades for 2600:::::::
[D6093] Inspiron(TM) 8600 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M Processor at 725 (15.4" WSXGA+)
[BRM-014] 1.60 GHz, 2MB Cache, 400 MHz FSB
[C5820] 15.4" UltraSharp(TM) Wide Screen SXGA+ TFT Display resolution: 1680x1050 :::::::::

[W0995] 512MB ( 2 X 256MB ) 333Mhz PC2700 DDR SDRAM 1
[BME-010] Memory Module Sockets (2 Socket User Accessible)

[F3010] 64MB DDR Nvidia(R) GeForceFX(TM) Go5200 AGP 4X Graphics 1
2W437] 40GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive

Chilling_Silence
05-11-2004, 11:56 AM
Id suggest getting in contact with Metla about the Clevo laptop he's got on his Website - Ive got one and they're brilliant machines at a great price :-)

POTUS
05-11-2004, 12:07 PM
In 1990 I paid around $200 for a 512kb RAM upgrade for my AMiga 500 - it made a huge difference!

Chemical Ali
05-11-2004, 03:31 PM
Long live the Amiga 500!!!

metla
05-11-2004, 04:06 PM
> Id suggest getting in contact with Metla about the
> Clevo laptop he's got on his Website - Ive got one
> and they're brilliant machines at a great price :-)

As much as i apreciate the mention i would recommend the thread starter (and anyone else) purchases from a local agent,Especially if they are prone to configuration or setup errors.

And going by what they have listed budgetwise so far i would be steering towards the Asus range.

My advice,find a local Asus agent and talk turkey.

Pete O\'Neil
05-11-2004, 04:20 PM
Arent Clevo made by ECS?

metla
05-11-2004, 04:28 PM
ECS and Clevo plus another 10 or so brands all come under the same umbrella,And i know this will come as a surprise but the Clevo/Excell branded laptops do not have a bad reputation.(also sold as Hyundia in NZ)

The ECS owned factories that produce these items also churn out units for numerous other brands including Apple ibooks.

Erin Salmon
05-11-2004, 08:03 PM
Hi,

No kidding. ECS make horrible motherboards (the former PC Company's favourite, and look what happened to them)!

I was scared about selling the Excel & Clevo ranges for a while, but after several of my customers specifically requested them, and had no problems at all, I even started recommending them myself.

They seem to perform and last well, and they are damn cheap.

:)

Erin

beama
05-11-2004, 10:49 PM
Atari 520 st and its still going I cant say that for the IBM clones Ive had since then