PDA

View Full Version : Ram

thewhiz
04-11-2004, 05:15 PM
I have a program that requires 256MB and i only have 128 MB is there any way to simulate ram using the HDD or something else i do not want to buy more ram

Spacemannz
04-11-2004, 05:42 PM
There might be programs that say they can do what youre after.BUT I've never tried them. I wouldnt use the hdd, if u could it'll most probably be slower than what you're going at now.

I think u can use the hdd (virtual memory). BUt I think this will come into action, when you're really low on memory.

BUT then you'll notice it'll be slow as. And you'll hear the hdd grinding when accessing data.

Prescott
04-11-2004, 05:43 PM
obliviously you dont have the min system requirements so the software wont run, its just like windows xp wont work on my old p1 that has 24mb ram :D

ApeNz
04-11-2004, 10:21 PM
RAM IS CHEAP - and i dont think anything anything will run on 128 any more

the highlander
04-11-2004, 10:29 PM
Those type of programs used to exist a long time ago when a stick of ram cost more than a return ticket to Fiji. They didn't work then and If they existed today they wouldn't work now.
I don't want to pay for new tyres but if they are a minimum requirement in that i cant use a car without them i either buy them or walk.
What sort of ram u have in your comp ?

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
05-11-2004, 08:32 AM
> RAM IS CHEAP - and i dont think anything anything
> will run on 128 any more

I can prove you wrong. My WinXP Pro computer is humming quite nicely on 128Mb of ram, despite being a bit slow sometimes, when it starts to use virtual memories borrowed from the hard drive.

Your PC should have an automatic 'switch' which makes it start using the vitual memories whenever you get low on RAM.

While on the topic of Ram, in my new PC, I'm thinking of 1x 512DDR400 or 2x 256DDR400 in dual channel mode. Now, what difference in speed would that bring. In theory it should be twice as fast, but in practice i hear it's only 1.5 times faster. Correct? The biggest task I will ever do on my PC is tiny amounts of editing digital photos. Usually its just PressF1 and the likes. I think 512 would be way more than enough for me, but I just want to know whether I should dish out extra $20/30 for dual channel.

Cheers,

Bletch
05-11-2004, 04:55 PM
> obliviously you dont have the min system requirements
> so the software wont run, its just like windows xp
> wont work on my old p1 that has 24mb ram :D

No, but it will run on a 150Mhz Cyrix processor with 32MB RAM. I use it as a file server for my home LAN.