PDA

View Full Version : Formatting Hard Drive

typographer
04-11-2004, 04:46 PM
I have already formatted my hard drive into C and D drives. All software and files are on and being used. I had an idea that I would like to break it up into 3 drives, C, D and E. I want to do this if possible without having to reformat the whole drive and without having to buy a partitioning programme, mean beggar ay.
Can anyone tell me if I can simply reformat say my D drive after shifting my data onto C drive, and then re-partition D into D and E. The idea behind all this is to use C for the operating system, D for programs and E for data.

Can anyone help or am I going to have to reformat the whole darn hard drive and then break it up into 3 separate drives.

Typographer

Spacemannz
04-11-2004, 04:54 PM
If u have XP you could copy whats on D to C, then goto control panel/admin tools/computer management / disk management. Highlight the hdd and see if it gives u the partition option.

Then partition D into D and E.

typographer
04-11-2004, 04:58 PM
Thanks, unfortunately I am running Win 98SE.

Regards
Typo

Bletch
04-11-2004, 05:06 PM
Then with Win98 you will have to use FDisk.

You can launch it from the dos box, but I would recommend just booting the command line, as it saves rebooting Windows.

Bletch

Chilling_Silence
04-11-2004, 05:11 PM
DONT DO IT!

Its destructive partitioning and will kill your data!

Grab this:
http://www.sysresccd.org/

Boot from it and use the Non-Destructive partitioning program qtparted

Enjoy!

Chill.

45South
04-11-2004, 06:36 PM
>Its destructive partitioning and will kill your data!
Of course it is but there will be nothing on the D drive as he is going to shift the data to the C Drive in the meantime.
Use FDISK, delete the D Drive then create your logical Drives D & E inside the extended partition specifying how much you want for each
Format them when you get back into windows

Chemical Ali
04-11-2004, 08:32 PM
"The idea behind all this is to use C for the operating system, D for programs and E for data."
Wait a minute -- I thought your programs had to sit and run on the same partition as your O/S or am I wrong?!

45South
04-11-2004, 08:49 PM
You're wrong
Programs can be installed to any drive, but if C crashes for any reason & a complete reinstall is necessary most of the programs installed on the other drive will also need reinstalling as all the associated registry files will have been deleted when C was formatted & they won't run.
The only real advantage to installing the programs on another drive is to retain user/program settings & some data files such as saves in games etc.
One has to be careful though as more & more games & programs use My Docs or the root of C drive to store saves & settings despite the application being on another drive

tweak\'e
04-11-2004, 08:50 PM
see the partitioning FAQ.

Murray P
04-11-2004, 08:51 PM
You are talking about separate hard drives and just partitions aren't you??

Mucking around an resizing partitions will nix the data on the entire drive, that is, the other partitions as well unless, you use a non-destructive partitionaing tool although, even then it's not guaranteed to be completely safe.

Back up everything off disc if the partition scenario fits you before attempting anything.

Cheers Murray P

Murray P
04-11-2004, 08:53 PM
> You are talking about separate hard drives and just
> partitions aren't you??

Should read: You are talking about separate hard drives and not just
partitions aren't you??

My bad.

Cheers Murray P

theotherone
04-11-2004, 09:04 PM
I am about to add a new HD to my system which is running Win 98se.
I want to use the original drive which is partitioned C & D, as one drive C (removing the partition)to accomodate the O/S and programs and the new drive as a slave (say D) to accomodate all the data.
1/ can I remove the partition on drive C/D without deleting all the Data? or
2/ do I need to install the new HD (calling it H or whatever) and copy Drives C/D to it, then format Drive C/D and then shift back the O/S and Program files to the newly formatted drive?

theotherone
04-11-2004, 09:08 PM
typographer, I am investigating a similar proposition at the moment and found that by going to the HD manufactures site (Seagate in my case) there was a heap of info regarding what we are both wanting to do.
It is well worth a look. Unfortunately I didn't see anything about removing partitions.
Also have a look at this site http://www.harddriveupgrade.com/jumper_pins.shtml

tweak\'e
04-11-2004, 09:15 PM
i would ghost (or use manafactures software) to clone the old drive to the new one. you can then repartition the old drive without worrying about data loss.

again see partitioning FAQ.