PDA

View Full Version : IBM computer locked

bk T
04-11-2004, 04:44 PM
A friend just rang me that his laptop computer IBM T23 Thinkpad is locked. When turning on the laptop it appears to be a padlock in the top left hand corner (locked) and to the left of that appears like what looks to be a small computer screen?

It looks to me that the BIOS is locked, but he couldn't remember how he locked it and has no clue at all what the password was.

Is there a way to unlock it?

POTUS
04-11-2004, 04:47 PM
If he doesn't know the password he'll have to contact IBM.

Spacemannz
04-11-2004, 04:48 PM
And this is before he gets into Windows, or after Windows has loaded/booted this padlock??

If its in Windows, I doubt its the BIOS. Most probably some security program or some program the laptop came with, or someone has installed.

bk T
04-11-2004, 05:01 PM
> And this is before he gets into Windows, or after
> Windows has loaded/booted this padlock??
>
>
It's before loading Windows.

Bletch
04-11-2004, 05:07 PM
You could try resetting the BIOS, but I'm not sure how exactly to do this in a laptop - normally it involves dismantling the computer.

Bletch

Spacemannz
04-11-2004, 05:15 PM
Check Google

Search for something how to unlock an IBM T23 Thinkpad that is locked

godfather
04-11-2004, 07:23 PM
Laptop BIOS locks are generally not fixed by resetting the BIOS, as in a desktop.

Its a lot more secure, as this is the only real protection for the data on an easily stolen piece of equipment.

If you do not know the BIOS password, then its usually a trip to the service agent with "proof of ownership".

nomad
05-11-2004, 11:15 AM
the thinkpads needs a replacement of a chip on the circuit board or such ... technical support can't change it. they need to replace that thing.

same for the ibm thinkpad hdd thou.. there is two types. think one is password and the other is encrypted .. not sure ... one is do-able by tech assist and the other is not .. replacement is neded.

nomad
05-11-2004, 11:30 AM
i've not been in this situation but its either the bios chip protection thing or the hdd protection.

the hdd is 2 avail .. one is a password which is resettable. the other is a replacement of hdd is needed. or it could well be the bios thing then a password chip is needed.

Big John
05-11-2004, 12:06 PM
Try This

Security Forms (http://www.security-forums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21332&start=0)