PDA

View Full Version : network mac and pc

pico
04-11-2004, 04:19 PM
Hi

My flatmate and I want to network our computers together so that we can share a broadband connection. I have a PC running XP and he has a mac laptop. running OSX. We bought a 5 port switch and have the two of them connected using fast ethernet. We intend on getting a DSL router and connecting it to the switch so we can both share the connection even if the other persons computer is off. We have networked our computers together via a crossover cable to transfer from the PC to the mac and with the switch intermediate the mac can still see the PC however we were never able to get the PC to see the mac. Do I need to install something to get the PC to recognise the mac? Also whenever I run the create home network wizard it always says that there was an error and does not complete. Anyone done this before?

whtafo
04-11-2004, 04:25 PM
You don't need a x-over cable if you're going through a switch.

POTUS
04-11-2004, 04:25 PM
First thing: they don't need to see each other to share the internet connection via a router.

Second: I did this months ago with OS9 but I can't remember exactly waht I did. generally speaking the Mac if cleverer than the PC, you may need to set something on the Mac. Anyway check ourt this link: http://macosx.org/osx_networking/

robsonde
04-11-2004, 04:28 PM
I have much the same setup...

as far as the TCP/IP goes they both "see" each other and share the internet nicly.

as far as file/print shareing I have never got that working quite right.....

the PC can see the mac but not much luck the other way around.

what do you mean when you say can / cant "see" each other??

Alasta
04-11-2004, 08:16 PM
My flat has the same setup again, with the Mac connecting to a D-Link router over wireless ethernet, and two Windows PCs connecting to the router via patch cable.

I can't really offer much help with regard to allowing the PCs to see the Mac, because my flatmates who own the PCs set all of this up. However, in order for the Mac to see the PCs, you simply need to go into the finder, then select "go" and "connect to server". If you have any problems, the online help in OSX is very, very good and, IMO, people don't use it enough.

The only problem that I have had is that the PC users can see all of the files in my home directory regardless of the file permissions. From what I understand, the file permissions are only preserved when networking Mac to Mac but, if anyone knows of a way around this, I'd be really interested to know.

Graham L
05-11-2004, 12:29 PM
You need a user/password for the Mac on the PC.Would enabling the "Guest" user work.

To get the PC to recognise the *nix permissions on a Mac you would have to run a real OS on the PC.:D

Alasta
05-11-2004, 05:27 PM
I'm aware of the option for the Windows users to "log in" to the Mac, which would be ideal if they had a user account on the Mac and just wanted to access any of their own files which they may have stored on the Mac.

However, what I want to be able to do is allow them access to everything in my own home folder, but lock them out of accessing certain files.

As you say, a 'real' OS would appear to be the only way of achieving this.

Growly
05-11-2004, 06:55 PM
> You don't need a x-over cable if you're going through a switch.

No, but you can do with one nowadays.

As far as filesharing, Mac does not use SMB like windows, and so special configuration is needed. I'm not sure about newer versions but in the past third party (or mac vended) programs needed to be used to enable file and printer sharing.

pico
06-11-2004, 12:05 PM
Thanks for all your contributions. And I ment to say that we had networked previously using a crossover to transfer music from my PC through my friends laptop to my other friends ipod since my PC wanted to reformat his ipod. We probably don't want to transfer much data between each others computers so as long as we can both access the internet at the same time that'll be cool. And as for a real OS I assume you are all using Linux or Unix? Yeah I would like to but I just don't know enough. Thanks again..

gstroud
06-11-2004, 08:54 PM
we have mac g4 os x and os9 g3 and win xp pc all wireless linked... the osx can see both the others, the pc can see only the G4 os x and the g3 can only see the g4...

it works ok but sometimes the pc drops its connection for no reason and can't seem to connect again... frustrating really