PDA

View Full Version : Drive letter problem?

Barnzy
04-11-2004, 03:35 PM
I recently built a nice 64 bit Athalon system and after only one month the hard drive packed a sad.
As all my old data was still on my old system I figured the best way to go was install both the old drive and the new drive to make life a little more simple. However, I figure I must have pluged the drives in the wrong order (using cable select as recommended by the mother board manufacurer, Gigabyte, fx series) It was not until all was setup and working, with several programs installed and the old drive back in its' old box, that I noticed my install/main drive letter was E:/.
Is this a problem, can it be fixed without a complete reinstall?
I have noticed some problems with installing some software ie. having to change drive designation for the install directory and also some registration problems ie. so called "invalid'' registration numbers.
Any clues out there?
Cheers
Barnzy

Spacemannz
04-11-2004, 03:52 PM
Well I wouldnt use cable select for starters. Use the jumpers for Master/slave.

Ive done that before, most programs u install sometimes DONT like installing on other letters, besides C. They get rather confused!

What exactly says invalid?? As in shareware programs, or windows when u tried to install it??

I would say youre having that prob, maybe coz you're using cable select and there is no cable select option in the BIOS. And things can get rather confusing!

HadO
04-11-2004, 06:43 PM
Yeah - dont use cable select.

If your using XP you can change driver letters through Disk Management - be careful though - I am unsure about changing the root drive letter - there would probably be major implications with all your programs that are installed!

Start, Run: diskmgmt.msc

Chemical Ali
04-11-2004, 08:18 PM
I recently reformatted my jukebox PC which contains 2 seperate hard drives -- because of the 'lazy' (left other drive connected all the time) way I did it my primary drive is now lettered E but everything installs and runs okay and once I let go of the "C must be my primary drive letter" idea I was fine with it!
You may encounter some problems with older programs wanting to install/run from Drive C but they would have to fairly old I would think.
Changing the drive letter during software installation (to E for example) is fine and actually validates the idea that C doesn't have to be the sole primary drive letter.
What do you mean by 'invalid registration'?

Barnzy
05-11-2004, 09:11 AM
A couple of programs I had on the old system that I still want to use, Soundforge 6.0 (not cheap) told me the registration no. was invalid, I eMailed them and they sent me a new one but that one is coming up as invalid too, still working on that one. The other prog was Musicmatch Jukebox but I use Itunes now so that's not a problem.
BTW does anyone know why I can only get 5.1 sound out of Itunes and no othwer player.?

Spacemannz
05-11-2004, 09:21 AM
Depending on which version of Windows youre using, go to control panel / sounds and audio devices / advanced, and change it to 5:1 there, if ur using XP.

See what happens

So, I guess you got the system up and running OK then Barnzy??

Other players such as? Musicmatch u mean??

Barnzy
05-11-2004, 12:06 PM
Musicmatch, winamp, windows media player all just play 2 channels where as Itunes plays 6 channel sound. I don't think it's my setup, there seems to be no options in the other progs to allow it.
Oh, and yes my system is flying I haven't benchmarked it as yet but even Adobe reader opens like a hookers legs on a friday night :-)

Spacemannz
05-11-2004, 12:13 PM
I think WMP and Winamp use plugins for 5:1. MM might too

Have you got or installed the plugins??

Barnzy
05-11-2004, 02:22 PM
I'm actually quite happy with Itunes, the only thing I really like about winamp is the Milkdrop vis. plugin which I think is sooo cool. According to my settings in winamp I have the audio plugin and it's set to 5.1 but it only comes out of the front speakers, no sub, scratchy ow!!!.
Chemical ali, what are you using on your jukebox setup?

Chemical Ali
05-11-2004, 03:36 PM
Hi Barnzy

I am using a licensed version ($20-odd US) of Musicmatch (8.2 version) and I bloody love it!!
File organisation, cd/dvd burning, cd ripping functions are excellent and I particularly love the interface.
Dabbled with iTunes & Winamp but still like Musicmatch the best.
Pretty sure you need either a plug-in or the license to get 5.1 sound on Musicmatch but will check my version later and get back to you on that.
Just running through stereo so wouldn't be able to test 5.1 sound even if Musicmatch has it but will look for it.
(:

Barnzy
05-11-2004, 04:26 PM
I used Musicmatch for years, I think I started with ver 2.1 or there abouts,
and I loved it too but now I have built this grunter of a system and push sound and video all round the house. The visualiser on mm8 just doesn't stack up to either Itunes or winamp and when your blasting Kruder & Dorfmeister through a top end surround sound sys with the visualisation on the big screen :-) iTunes has to be the way to go, imho and the search function is invaluable when you have 4000+ tracks on the hd
Thanx for all your help btw guys, love yer work, speshly the old stuff.

Chemical Ali
05-11-2004, 06:24 PM
Well we will have to agree to disagree on that one then.
I find that Musicmatch's library listings keep track of my 8000-odd tunes just fine.
I guess if I actually bothered to use iTines in more depth then I'd like it more!
I'm not into the visualizations although I will agree the iTunes' visualizations are impressive.
Cheers

C. Ali