PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird 0.8 - Send receive not working

Timewarp
04-11-2004, 09:58 AM
Just that, when I click 'get mail' nothing happens and in composer instead of a 'send' button I only have a 'send later' button. My previous version was working perfectly, shouldn't have tootooed I guess.

Spacemannz
04-11-2004, 10:03 AM
Did u make thunderbird the default browser?? If u did try making it so it isnt.

The try the mail

Timewarp
04-11-2004, 10:13 AM
No luck there.

stu120404
04-11-2004, 10:22 AM
Are all the mail settings for the smtp server etc.... still there?

Timewarp
04-11-2004, 10:27 AM
Yes they are.
I,m currently podding through this...
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=129317
Could take a while and I have a living to earn.

whtafo
04-11-2004, 10:38 AM
Did you install the Offline Support?

You're probably in Offline mode if it's not receiving mail, and electing to send later.

Look at the bottom right of the window in the status bar and see if there is like a little plug socket thing --{}--

Try clicking or double clicking it to enable/disable Offline mode.

d.murray
04-11-2004, 10:41 AM
I had this happen. I ended up renaming the pref.js file and adding a "clean" version. This seemed to work for me. I believe you can edit the pref.js file but it all seemed too hard for simple folk like me.

The pref.js file is in the Thunderbird sub-folder in the Application Data folder

Timewarp
04-11-2004, 11:42 AM
Actually theres nothing there at all. theres a space which is the automatic updates thingy. That responds that theres an error connecting. So I'm pretty sure its not finding the network settings.

Timewarp
04-11-2004, 11:44 AM
Youre not wrong about hard for simple folk! I'll see what happens...

whtafo
04-11-2004, 12:02 PM
Firewall blocking it?

Murray P
04-11-2004, 12:03 PM
How do you connect? What are your connection settings? Dialup, ADSL (LAN or USB), Proxy. Although if they were set up wrong, I would expect you to get an error message.

Cheers Murray P

Timewarp
04-11-2004, 12:24 PM
OK this is what happens when I click the pref icon
There is a message box called Windows Scripting Host - Script Wexecution Error
Script C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\default.
Line Number: 1 Colum: 0
Category: Microsoft JScript compilation error
Description: Invalid character

Any ideas ??????

Timewarp
04-11-2004, 12:28 PM
No Firewall, no error messages. Its totally dead.

Murray P
04-11-2004, 12:45 PM
> OK this is what happens when I click the pref icon
> There is a message box called Windows Scripting Host
> - Script Wexecution Error
> Script C:\WINDOWS\Application
> Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\default.
> Line Number: 1 Colum: 0
> Category: Microsoft JScript compilation error
> Description: Invalid character

What pref icon?? I'm using 0.8 and don't have a "pref icon", which is not to say it doesn't exist.

I'm also not aware of Thunderbird using MS JS but, could be wrong there too. What version of windows, if win2k or XP check the event viewer in; right click My Computer, choose manage > System Tools > Event Viewer. Look under the system and application event for issues around the time your try to access your email, double click on an event to view, you can scroll through them using the up-down arrows in the dialogue box. You might get lucky and come up with something sus or at least a pointer.

Cheers Murray P

Graham L
04-11-2004, 02:48 PM
Error messages like this often happen when files have been saved from a wordprocessor rather than a text editor. ;-)

Text files are much easier to handle, so they are specified for compilers and interpreters.

Have a look at that default.js file with Notepad ... if it's got a lot of Word garbage at the start, that will be the problem.

Timewarp
04-11-2004, 02:52 PM
Im using 98SE. Icon is in the C:\Windows\Application data\Thunderbird\Profiles
folder and is called Pref (oddly enough) I dont have a folder for pref.js just the misbehaving icon.
I have uninstalled 0.8 and gone back to 0.7.3 which works fine.

Murray P
04-11-2004, 04:07 PM
I think your problem could be MS JS pushing in where it should be just good old Java Script. How or why, I don't know.

Have you got JS installed other than the proprietary MS version?

Cheers Murray P

d.murray
04-11-2004, 05:10 PM
Don't open pref.js open in a text editor say Notepad - edit then save.

However the file appears incomprehensible to me so all I did was replace it with the default pref.js file

Timewarp
04-11-2004, 07:31 PM
Yeah I worked out that I should be editing,
here is what notepad says...

# Mozilla User Preferences

/* Do not edit this file.
* If you make changes to this file while the browser is running,
* the changes will be overwritten when the browser exits.
* To make a manual change to preferences, you can visit the URL about:config
* For more information, see http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html#prefs
*/

user_pref("extensions.disabledObsolete", true);
user_pref("extensions.lastAppVersion", "0.7");
user_pref("mail.smtpservers", "");
user_pref("mailnews.quotingPrefs.version", 1);
user_pref("mailnews.ui.threadpane.version", 5);

so I think it may be a late night if I can get that serious about it, as I said the old one works perfectly.

on the subject of Java I will have to fess up to being rather uninformed, is there more than one?

Oh dear!

Murray P
04-11-2004, 08:19 PM
> on the subject of Java I will have to fess up to
> being rather uninformed, is there more than one?
>
> Oh dear!

I'm no expert on it, which will probably become apparent shortly but, yes there is more than one. Java was supposed be a cross platform cross OS scripting language particularly useful for web applications and such like. There are different versions, ie, upgrades then there is MS's proprietary version and upgrades and patches, which doesn't necessarily work with every thing that requires Java and breaks the original Java's standards.

This, in my opinion, was an attempt by MS to capture the Java market and applications for it's own products alone. A court case or two later, MS was made to give up or desist from the proprietary non-comply nature of it's Java. I'm not sure how thorough this has been. Someone, like Graham L, could probably fill in the blanks and misinformation in the above, if needed.

Have fun ;)

Cheers Murray P