PDA

View Full Version : Office 2003 task pains a pain in the (beep)

mikep
04-11-2004, 12:33 AM
If I never see another office task pane in my life, I will be happy.
With every release of any Microsoft product, they bundle in some type of annoyance, thinking it is a great add-on. Remember clippit? After seeing it twice, I killed it (where's the shotgun) Now, I'm having the same dilemma with the office 2003 task panes. I hate them, they suck like a new kirby vaccuum cleaner.

Pull out my soap box and take a stand.......
Dear Mr Microsoft (or should that be Bill?).
With the next release of ANY of your products, would you please supply a large 16lb sledge to totally annhiliate any and all of the wizards you supply with your products. I just want to get my work done without having to constantly battle for screen real estate with pesky popup taskbars. Just in case you hadn't already realised there is a connection, just like web browsing, to which you have graciously provided a popup killer with SP2 for IE after years of public badgering, how about putting the same train of thought towards ALL your other products.

I don't care what fancy name you make up for them, given their very nature by way of operation, they are nothing short of a popup window. I cant see how you missed this blatant point, but if your track record is anything to go by, I can pretty much predict based on your previous performance that it will take years of public badgering before you take any notice.
Step off my soap box, have a cold shower, grab a strong drink and take a chill pill........

Now lets get to the real issue

How do you turn the bl**dy things off permanently?
Anybody got a clue?

Rob99
04-11-2004, 12:49 AM
probally with a check box

Rob99
04-11-2004, 01:09 AM
Reading on google, it seems it is hard-wired in, not to say someone wont come up with a registry fix soon.

sam m
04-11-2004, 05:43 AM
I must be misunderstanding the question but is the Task Pane the thing that appers on the right hand side of Word, Excel that lists options for that particular program?

If so then Tools, Options, View and Untick task bar.

I am guessing this could be wrong looking at the fervour of your post but thought I would state the obvious anyway.

45South
04-11-2004, 07:43 AM
And they removed the one decent feature, the 'shortcut bar' to make way for it!!

mikep
04-11-2004, 09:05 AM
I think some of you might have mistaken what I meant. Having used MS programs for years now in both business and personal environments, I'm fairly proficient in most of their offerings, including setup and user permitted modifications. I had hoped this may have come through in my "letter about previous versions to Mr Microsoft", but it seems it was missed.

I have been through the menu's a thousand times looking for options and check boxes related to annhiliting the pesky popups (not true really, I'm using a slight over-exaggeration, but you get the picture), but it's not there.

When I open Word, I want a simple interface, with as much screen real estate as possible without task panes. It gets worse in Publisher when I have 800x magnification to lose 23% of the viewable area after one of those task panes has to pop up with what seems like no other purpose than to obstruct my view and slow my work, because I know what I'm doing and do not need the help of a wizard, much less to have to turn it off again and again, every time it pops up.

I like to see the fine details of what I produce, and I use the zoom features alot because I do a fair bit of graphical work and use programs like Photoshop which allows me all the screen real estate I want without pesky popups. Now are you getting the picture?

Kudos to Rob99 who, like me has done a little bit of research. I think he's on the right track, and I too hope somebody will come up with a registry hack to kill the popup.

johnboy
04-11-2004, 09:16 AM
try his page
here (http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customization/ShowTaskPane.htm)
hth

tommy
04-11-2004, 10:47 AM
I have Word 2002 and there is an option in Tools, Options, View, Show to remove the tick from "Startup Task Pane". You can customise other options in that dialogue box as well. Do you have that option in your version?

mikep
04-11-2004, 02:46 PM
Yeah, Office 2003 has the same option in word, but it only affects the startup screen and it has absolutly no bearing on Publisher, where I am having the most trouble.
When using Pub2003, I use the Master Page option, which in earlier versions was simply called the Background, though all versions since 97 (don't know about earlier versions) it could be accessed with the keyboard shortcut Crtl+M.

Since using the 2003 version, and with Microsofts typical non backward compatible versions of pages, I am stuck with this horrid behaviour because I have saved many of my publications as 2003 files.
When will MS get it right for Publisher? Even importing a Pub 2000 file with layered wordart into 2003 can be a mission in re-aligning the layers of text and pics.

Long live Linux!!!!
If you break Windows, you're stuck with a lemon
If you break Linux, you get to keep both pieces

Why am I using this program again? Ooh that's right, It's the easiest to make labels for CD's with. Photoshop is actually better by a long shot, but there are a few features missing, like great text handling (in the version I use, can't afford an upgrade)

Graham L
04-11-2004, 02:51 PM
Don't you like "user-fiendly" software. Bill will be so disappointed.

Should they bring back "Microsoft Bob"?

]:)

mikep
05-11-2004, 11:48 AM
LOL.
Yeah, good on ya mate. I gave MS Bob the bobbit treatment years back and introduced him to my virtual magnet that sucked him right off the screen, never to be seen again. ;)