PDA

View Full Version : BIOS faults

fairway
04-11-2004, 12:23 AM
I have just fixed 4 completely different computers over the last few days with similar problems.
None would boot windows up.
All were running 2kpro
2 got to the point of NTLDR fault on the "blue screen" ;-)

Now the fix appeared to be to reset the BIOS to "factory defaults " and
that has solved the problems.

only one machine had electrical surge protection, 3 were running AVG antivirus (out of date!) one running Avast.

But wait, 2 had tro gen virus infections and 2 were clean.

Any ideas on what caused this?

Oh yeah .. they all have kids .

fairway
04-11-2004, 12:27 AM
Also they were in 2 different suburbs of ALK but close.

Rob99
04-11-2004, 12:29 AM
Someone updated or stuffed the BIOS.

Murray P
04-11-2004, 08:32 AM
Can you be more specific re the NTLDR BSOD? There are lot's of NTLDR messages, but I would expect to get them just after POST, white on black, if the machine isn't booting in to windows. eg; NTLDR is missing, prees any key to continue.

Cheers Murray P

Spacemannz
04-11-2004, 09:25 AM
Thats true Murray. I know the NTDLR is missing can mean you're trying to boot from a non bootable drive, and the BIOS boot option you've selected in the BIOS needs to be changed to a system hdd, or something that boots. This has happened to me on the odd occassion.

POTUS
04-11-2004, 09:54 AM
Before you reset the BIOS did you check that the hard drives were being recognised?

Murray P
04-11-2004, 10:11 AM
That would return a System Disk not found erro, or some such, wouldn't it.

Cheers Murray P

Spacemannz
04-11-2004, 10:20 AM
You would think so but no lol. On this thing, pressing F8, if u want to go to safe mode (I'm using XP), (Asus P4P800), the bloody thing also brings up a boot selection screen (just after POST, so u can select whatever disk to boot from ).

It's pretty much the same as what the BIOS has, BUT these options are outside the BIOS. And if u select the wrong disk / one that isnt bootable from this screen it'll also bring up NTLDR is missing.

Thats the only thing about the BIOS in this thing. To get into safe mode u either have to press F8 twice, (once so the disk boot options come up, then select the right disk, then press F8 again as soon as u can), or just hopefully press F8 at the right time, so u get the option to go into safe mode.

fairway
04-11-2004, 02:49 PM
You're all pretty much right, it wasn't finding something (anything) to boot off which led me to the BIOS.
I reset the boot order in bios, then pressed f7 (whatever) for "default optimal settings".
All the machines booted after this and are still running.
My issue is why the same fault on 4 different machines in the same day, all needing the same fix? Could this be a power spike? or software problem? ...act of god .. ?

Graham L
04-11-2004, 02:53 PM
Act of kids?

fairway
04-11-2004, 03:31 PM
yeah...
I know one little lass was looking "coy" while I was there

mark c
04-11-2004, 03:41 PM
http://www.bestpricecomputers.ltd.uk/freehelp/ntldr_missing.htm

Plenty on Google. :D

Don't know if you've looked but it inspired to read what's at the above link. (not very helpful but hey I want to do something):)

fairway
04-11-2004, 03:56 PM
I fixed the problem, it's the cause that baffles me ..
Perhaps a lightning bolt site would be better ... lol

leon
05-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Hi Fairway, I have the NTLDR missing thing, and would appreciate you going through the process of your fix for me How do you rerset the BIOS to the original factory settings. I know how to get to the BIOS etc but in there is only two settings neither of which reads factory settings, would love your help :

FoxyMX
05-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Resetting the BIOS back to factory settings means "getting under the hood" of your computer. You need to take the side off the case and remove the CMOS battery for about 30 minutes without the computer being plugged into a power point.

Another method is to move a jumper on the motherboard but you will need to check the motherboard's manual to find out the details for this.

leon
05-07-2006, 12:37 PM
Resetting the BIOS back to factory settings means "getting under the hood" of your computer. You need to take the side off the case and remove the CMOS battery for about 30 minutes without the computer being plugged into a power point.

Another method is to move a jumper on the motherboard but you will need to check the motherboard's manual to find out the details for this.
Thanks FoxyMX When my problem occured I opened the back and had the battery out as you indicated and took the opertunity to replace the battery still I have the problem

Terry Porritt
05-07-2006, 02:49 PM
There are various reasons for the NTLDR missing problem other than BIOS, Google gives some pointers:

http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318728/

The_End_Of_Reality
05-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Is NTLDR not a Windows file? if so, have you tried reinstalling or repair installing?