PDA

View Full Version : Trying to access modem

Sereena
03-11-2004, 08:43 PM
I'm currently connected to the Internet with Xtra Broadband.

(I think) ever since I updated my computer with Window XP Service Pack II, whenever I go to open a new webpage, my computer tries to connect using my dial up modem, which is no longer plugged into the wall.

I can cancel the attempt, but it's still annoying.

I guess I need to change some settings, any ideas what?

george12
03-11-2004, 08:50 PM
Hi there, I know your problem.

In Internet Explorer, click Tools and then Internet Options. Or you can get there from Control Panel.

Click onto the Connections tab. You should see three options around the middle of the dialog, for you to choose how/if/when to dial out. Choose 'Never dial a connection'.

Click OK and the problem should go away. If not, post back here.

George

sam m
03-11-2004, 08:52 PM
Assuming it is IE.
Tools - Internet Options - Connections, Then tick never dial a connection.

Obviously the modem is unplugged but you still have an unnecessary dialler.

Go to control panel - network connections, and delete the dialler.

45South
03-11-2004, 08:53 PM
Make sure your old dialup connection has been removed
Uninstall the modem & remove it from your system or at least disable it in Device Manager
In IE go to Tools > Internet Options > Connections & if you are using a router select "Never dial a connection"
If you are using an internal adsl modem or a USB modem select always dial my default connection & make sure the connection is set as default.

Sereena
03-11-2004, 09:05 PM
Thanks everyone.

I forgot to mention that it happens in both Netscape and IE. It was already set up in IE (never connect) as you suggested, but I went into device manager and disabled the modem, and that seems to have worked.

Thanks again for such prompt and helpful service.