PDA

View Full Version : email messages

gale
03-11-2004, 06:05 PM
I am migrating from a Win 98 installation to an XP installation. All the data files, address book etc have come over fine, but the email messages will not transfer.
Using Outlook Express and the Import option, the message received is that there are no messages in the folder, though there is 15Mb in the folder.
Any ideas ??

Murray P
03-11-2004, 07:22 PM
Export them from the win98 version to a folder and try to import into the XP from there.

Are they different versions of OE? If the above doesn't work try upgarding the win98 version to the same as the XP version. Just a wild guess, haven't used OE for yonks.

Cheers Murray P

gale
03-11-2004, 07:28 PM
Thanks I have tried upgrading the Win 98 program to Outlook Express 6.
Also copied the folder entirely to a folder on the Win XP machine. No luck.
The older computer still reads the messages. Suppose the only way will be to forward them to the new computer via the ISP, as this routine still works.

theotherone
03-11-2004, 07:51 PM
when I did mine I exported all the messages to outlook and then imported them into the new machine via USB drive. As far as I remember it worked ok but the address book was a different story. I ended up emailing the whole thing and hoping that it didn't get picked up by a rascal.

gale
03-11-2004, 08:22 PM
The strange thing is that the address book transferred perfectly, but the messages refuse to transfer
Thanks for your help

Pheonix
03-11-2004, 08:28 PM
Try this....

Make a new folder on the desktop called INBOX.
Open OE (98's) at it's inbox.
Click on the top email, press and hold shift key
Scroll down to last email and click on it
Release shift key.
Click on the blue are and HOLD
Drag to new folder and release.

You can move the folder to the new PC and then do it in reverse, highlight top to bottom messages holding the shift, left click and drag to inbox.

Repeat for other folders such as sent etc..

gale
06-11-2004, 11:51 AM
Thank you very much. That worked a treat. Though the person I was doing it for had an extensive list of boxes and sub boxes, all which had to be handled individually.
What a great resource this site is
Once again Thanks
Gale