PDA

View Full Version : Worm buchon - can't get rid of notification

write-click
03-11-2004, 05:59 PM
My computer was infected with the Worm Buchon virus last week so after doing a backup I followed the instructions on Symantec's site to get rid of it. So far so good, but I keep getting the following message every now and then:
Virus
Virus identifies I-Worm/Buchon
Is found in file
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{43946224-96B8-49F4-B018-717501DD139E}\RP159\A0027080.exe
To remove this virus, please run AVG for Windows.
OK
I thought I had been reinfected so I did another backup, but when I went into the registry to remove the rogue file, it wasn't there. I am still getting the message advising me I have the virus though, despite updating my AVG.
Is this a problem, does it mean I still have the virus, or did I do something wrong when deleting it before? Any advice would be appreciated.

Spacemannz
03-11-2004, 06:04 PM
Disable system restore, then rescan with AVG. After it says its removed it (if it does), then turn system restore back on. f you want it. Did u turn system restore off the first time??

Susan B
03-11-2004, 06:05 PM
Have a look here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=50623&message=305621). Note that the page may be a little slow in loading.

write-click
03-11-2004, 06:31 PM
Thanks you two. I clicked on the link you gave me Susan and followed the instructions, although I had to go in through control panel, systems, system restore tab rather than right clicking on the my computer logo on the desktop (which I don't have!). I have disabled system restore and am running a scan using AVG. I did this last time but it said there were no viruses detected - that was while system restore was enabled though. If it doesn't detect anything now, is it okay to turn it back on?

Spacemannz
03-11-2004, 07:08 PM
It should be OK to turn it back on. Scan again. See what happens tho

sam m
03-11-2004, 07:15 PM
> Thanks you two. I clicked on the link you gave me
> Susan and followed the instructions, although I had
> to go in through control panel, systems, system
> restore tab rather than right clicking on the my
> computer logo on the desktop (which I don't have!).
> I have disabled system restore
I hope at this point you have restarted computer to actually purge the restore points and therefore rid yourself of virus. Once restarted then run AVG again.
>and am running a scan
> using AVG. I did this last time but it said there
> were no viruses detected - that was while system
> restore was enabled though. If it doesn't detect
> anything now, is it okay to turn it back on?

write-click
03-11-2004, 07:32 PM
Thanks Sam, yes, I restarted the computer then ran a scan (it came up with nothing), then I enabled system restore again. No more messages so far, fingers crossed this has fixed it.

Thanks everyone for your help.