PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I call my offspring "... 2.0"?

Chemical Ali
03-11-2004, 12:03 AM
I'm having a baby boy in a few months (after 3 girls) and being rather techy/geeky at heart I thought it would be rather amusing to call him Paul 2.0 but my missus is violently opposed!
I know that as a software release, version 2 is usually better than version 1. but boy this child's got a hard act to follow!!
What do you people think?!

C. Ali (aka Paul)

whtafo
03-11-2004, 12:13 AM
You mean you thought it'd be rather amusing to rehash an old story thats been round the net eleventy times.

Just for a start (and thats only the first few links off Google:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Midwest/02/01/offbeat.baby.version2.0.ap/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3451207.stm
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/12/no_at_for_chinese/
http://www.thehollandsentinel.net/stories/013104/loc_013104003.shtml
http://www.newyorkish.com/newyorkish/2004/02/stupid_child_na.html

It's a stupid idea, doing nothing but setting your kid up for a life of schoolyard torment, problems with applications for things like drivers licences, passports, hire purchases, mortgages, bank accounts etc.

Maybe listening to your "missus" might not be a stupid idea.

</thread>

Laura
03-11-2004, 12:16 AM
More importantly - what will he think when he starts school & gets his first nickname?
The computer jokes/sayings that are current then can't be predicted now.
Can Daddy wear the backlash..?

Kame
03-11-2004, 12:55 AM
My mate is named Ashwin and when his wife was having his kid and he asked what to call it and at the time Windows XP was just coming out so I told him to call him Ashwin XP, although I should have taken that back, as I never knew how problematic XP was going to turn out, he's would have ran into problems sooner than he expected. At least his baby never crashed at first start up.

Kame

theotherone
03-11-2004, 03:15 AM
I recall my former significant other wanted to call our boy Anwar. Is he ever glad I put my foot down.

45South
03-11-2004, 07:19 AM
He'll be in training for a few years & no one will know how he'll turn out. So I reckon 'Paul v2 beta'
You'll be able to drop the beta when he's 21 if he turned out ok & proves to be a stable release.
If at 21 he's proved to be unreliable, unstable, & it's obvious he's never going to work properly, just dump the project & go for a new release (if you still can)

Chilling_Silence
03-11-2004, 08:01 AM
My offspring wont need much changing from me to become practically perfect in every way - So it doesnt deserve a full new version.... Perhaps:
Chill 1.01

:D

Growly
03-11-2004, 09:20 PM
Guys, I don't think he was being completely serious---

Also bear in mind that Windows XP Service Pack 2.0 sucks.

45South
03-11-2004, 09:51 PM
>Guys, I don't think he was being completely serious---
dya think?

whtafo
03-11-2004, 09:55 PM
> dya think?

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111

Billy T
04-11-2004, 08:57 AM
OK, Here's the breaking news.

The concept is not all that unusual, it differs only in the choice of Arabic instead of Roman numerals. The Yanks have been doing it for years with names such as Henry Ford IV, Josiah Upimself III or even the quite mundane Commonorgarden Name II.

Funny thing is, they never do the retro thing to identify the progenitor of the Dynasty. He just remains invisible among all the rest of his unrelated namesakes.

Note we were spared George Bush II, probably because Bush the Elder couldn't count past 1 in roman numerals but could remember his alphabet right up to dubya.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

willie_M
04-11-2004, 10:44 AM
jeez whtafo lighten up.... he was only poking fun...

I like that beta thing lol.... thats funny :D

Billy T
04-11-2004, 12:59 PM
Take no notice willie

Once a prat, always a prat and zero sense of humour.

Reincarnation doesn't change a thing.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

Jester
04-11-2004, 01:24 PM
Just look in the birth announcements or the pics of new babies in the local newspapers to see what some are actually calling their kids these days. V2.0 is actually quite normal sounding compared to some!

whtafo
04-11-2004, 01:28 PM
> Take no notice willie
>
> Once a prat, always a prat and zero sense of humour.
>
> Reincarnation doesn't change a thing.

How about you clap your gabby mouth closed huh?

Graham L
04-11-2004, 01:52 PM
Calm down, children, please.

Billy T
04-11-2004, 03:59 PM
So long as you continue to post sarcastic comments WTF, I'll be here getting under your skin, I'm not going anyplace soon. If you don't like it, try being civilised, or polite, or better still, staying away from your keyboard when you feel the urge to have a hack at somebody just because they don't fit your vision for the future of the human race.

Manners maketh the man.

Good manners and a civil tongue maketh an even better man.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

whtafo
04-11-2004, 04:05 PM
> So long as you continue to post sarcastic comments
> WTF, I'll be here getting under your skin, I'm not
> going anyplace soon.

Bugger eh... the funny thing about this is I upset you a lot more than you upset me - but I guess being as self-important as your self thats to be expected.

He asked a question, I gave an answer which pointed out the very real problems associated with naming a kid something dumb, and the fact that his joke wasn't exactly original.

Just quit the toy police game already.

04-11-2004, 05:17 PM
And with that I end this thread!

Billy:
Just take it easy. You and I both hate to see people get abused, but you're not making my job any easier - You appear to go right for the bait that WTF is setting for you.

whtafo:
You're not making this any better for yourself - Your rap sheet doesnt look good boyo. You do provide some useful input into this community, but I have to wonder if its really worth it for the hassle you cause?

End of discussion.