PDA

View Full Version : PressF1 via Jetstream slower than dialup

Pumpkin Eater
02-11-2004, 08:17 PM
Of all of my super fast Jet stream surfing, i find PressF1 takes ages for each page to download.

I see the lights on my DSL router, nothing doing for a little while, then a bust of flashing and i got my page open.

Is P/f1 using a servor whit a slow connection to the WWW or have i got somesettings wrong or what?

everything else is super fast compared to F1

Megaman
02-11-2004, 08:21 PM
open command prompt (type command at run), and type these things

ping pressf1.co.nz
ping cnn.com
ping google.co.nz

from both connections, and post the results back :)

then we might be able to see if it's your computer/hardware or browser/software

Pumpkin Eater
02-11-2004, 08:33 PM
do a search in F1 forv"slower" an d aguy back in Feb 2004 or ealrir years posted a same question, he was guest, got no answer, end of thread.

I am knocking off now, lost heaps of time gteting into F1, will do the ping tomorrow. ceratin it ismore like F! rakes time to return info when asked by me.

metla
02-11-2004, 08:42 PM
Forum is snappy as a crocodile sandwhich,and i have 15 or so tabs open, 7 or 8 of which are displaying the forum,and a torrent running in the background.....Black Sabbath live in Paris 1970....W00t w00T 111 1111

TonyF
02-11-2004, 08:46 PM
Press F1 ping 20 msecs - reasonable.

lagbort
02-11-2004, 08:51 PM
ping 58ms with 3 dc++ downloads going and my dad surfing the net

the highlander
02-11-2004, 08:57 PM
F1 goes like the privy door when the plague is in town (to quote Blackadder)
Fast as and waaaaay quicker than a few months ago. Jetstart adsl

Prescott
02-11-2004, 09:03 PM
> open command prompt (type command at run), and type
> these things
>
>
ping pressf1.co.nz
> ping cnn.com
> ping google.co.nz
>
> from both connections, and post the results back :)
>
> then we might be able to see if it's your
> computer/hardware or browser/software

can this work for dial up, what are the good results for dial up?

Billy T
02-11-2004, 09:04 PM
Jetstream full speed.

Pings 20mS and opens in a flash here.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Dak2
02-11-2004, 09:32 PM
It's slow alright, I've been saying it for over a year, pinging PressF1 won't tell you anything, what I want to know is the hardware specs of the ancient dinosaur of a server that must be running it, it's a server prob more than anything probably.

Term_X
02-11-2004, 09:37 PM
hmm, interesting all these posts about PF1 loadin slow.. i remember it was like that a few months back, but its loadin like a gem at the moment.. im on 1Mbit wireless and loadin fine.. now ive just come back from a neighbour's place whos on slingshot 56k modem where ive just finished loadin mozilla firefox and its fine on his connection.. tried some faq threads and some older threads and the speed was great by 56k standards

that was my 2 cents worth :-)

Term X

blank_harry
02-11-2004, 09:49 PM
@ dak2

If I were to guess, I'd say the OS is Linux and the server is Lotus Domino. As for hardware and the size of the pipe to the net, who knows.

later ...

Greg S
02-11-2004, 09:53 PM
ping www.pressf1.co.nz

Jetsurf 256k

59ms

Jen C
02-11-2004, 10:21 PM
You can find some info on what IDG runs its website with/on here (http://www.idg.co.nz/IDGNet.nsf/UNID/5D46E75183BCF115CC256D80007BFFB7?OpenDocument). I believe PF1 runs on Linux Red Hat :D

Oh and this is on a Jetstream Surf 256K connection:
--- pressf1.co.nz ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3002ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 41.996/44.423/47.070/1.908 ms, pipe 2

Greg S
02-11-2004, 10:29 PM
> I believe PF1 runs on Linux Red Hat :D

*sigh* Jen C is a true geek

whtafo
02-11-2004, 10:43 PM
This business of pinging is utter nonsense.

I can ping my PDA which is a 33MHz dragonball processor and get a <10ms ping over bluetooth, I get the exact same ping off of a dual 2.8GHz database server over Gigabit ethernet.

They can both fling a packet back no trouble but I know which one I would be using to run a dynamic web-site off.

The site seems to be running fine as far as I can tell, though it's probably a perception thing as much as anything else.

Greg S
02-11-2004, 11:00 PM
> This business of pinging is utter nonsense.

Umm - you know that it's actually a useful, basic networking tool?

" A basic Internet program that lets you verify that a particular Internet address exists and can accept requests. Pinging is diagnostically used to ensure that a host computer, which you are trying to reach, actually operates."

whtafo
02-11-2004, 11:16 PM
> Umm - you know that it's actually a useful, basic
> networking tool?

You don't say? I knew there was a reason why I had a job administering networks.

It is a useful tool, to check if a host is up and maybe gauge the most rudimentary of ideas of the host being under network based load.

Though completely irrelevant in the issue presented here.

Greg S
02-11-2004, 11:27 PM
> > Umm - you know that it's actually a useful, basic
> > networking tool?

> You don't say?

LOL :^O

> Though completely irrelevant in the issue presented
> here.

Ok, I for sure am not a network expert!

theotherone
03-11-2004, 02:26 AM
Press F1 25, 28, 28, 31ms on Telsta cable and a 802.11b fiwi connection

JJJJJ
03-11-2004, 04:25 AM
Just tried the ping test.
Pressf1 111ms average
Google 335ms average
Nzherald 98 ms average

With dial up.

Is this good bad or indifferent?

Jack

Billy T
03-11-2004, 06:13 AM
Sounds slow to me Jack. Pings on dial up shouldn't be much slower than jetstream as minimal data is exchanged.

Fot the record, from my perspective PF1 runs like a scalded cat 95% of the time, it only slows marginally at times when a lot of users are logged on. Right now it is as fast as it gets.

About once a day it will take slightly longer to send a post, and retrieving a deep archive can occasionally be slow, but the rest of the time it is just fine. No worse than any other site and better than most.

I tend to wonder if these problems lie at the user's end sometimes. If I use my old P166 box it is very noticably slower than my main computer and that is absolutely nothing to do with PF1 or its servers.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

crazy monkey
03-11-2004, 03:27 PM
Na bill, Dial up can't physically got faster than 100ms. the way it has to be converted from analouge to digital increases the ms i suppose

ping pressf1.co.nz = 144 ms
gamers.paradise.net.nz = 120 ms

(btw: i am not a new user)

Pumpkin Eater
07-11-2004, 07:17 PM
The last time i posted i got the answer to ping. while signing of as i was very late becasue of waiting all night for F1, i downloaded Goggle, in an instant, just in case it was already on my HDD, i refreshed and got Goggle again in an instant.

Looking at my router lights, i am guessing F1 takes a long time to reply, i see a flash when my browser asks for an f1 page then i wait a while for the lights to start flashing flashing again and the page shows up.

I do not know much about servers, but suggest this, the F1 servor can only serve out a limited number of pages at a time, so i have to wait my turn. i think for the same reason the internet it self slows down, too much data for the pipeline. whta does F1 use to hook up to the net, a jetstream connection?

Billy T
07-11-2004, 07:45 PM
> I do not know much about servers, but suggest this,
> the F1 servor can only serve out a limited number of
> pages at a time, so i have to wait my turn. i think
> for the same reason the internet it self slows down,
> too much data for the pipeline. whta does F1 use to
> hook up to the net, a jetstream connection?

I don't think so PE. There are a lot of jetstream users on PF1 and no problems are reported. I can access any page virtually instantaneously so the server isn't the problem.

There must be something amiss in your computer set up for this to happen. I can't think what at present though, but it isn't jetstream and it isn't the PF1 server. maybe you need to look at aspects of your connection setup.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Term_X
07-11-2004, 07:56 PM
totally agree with Billy T. I believe its more to do with settings on your pc or router as opposed to the server and connection that pf1 is running off. all sorts of windows settings can affect how your browser interacts with pf1, eg does your browser cache empty often? what kind of firewall are you running, all those sorts of things can have a bearing of the results and seeing that you always have the same load up time.. well hmmm as i said in an earlier post, my friend is on dialup and have tried pf1 at peak, no peak times.. and it loads up very quickly..

thats 4 cents worth now ive posted on this topic :-)

Term X

Prescott
07-11-2004, 08:04 PM
press f1 is probley one of the fastest sites for me, and im on dail up, most of the net is dial up friendly with good speeds for me....... have u checked your settings?

Pumpkin Eater
08-11-2004, 11:04 AM
I agree now it is likely my settings, what is different about F1?

I tried last night shutting down my Zone alarm, but no improvement.

Do not forget some servors are conected to the internet by Jetstrearm, Telecom warns against it, which is not to say that thye allow it if you pay more on a business connection, i would think some small busineses may run a database type site restriceted to its employees at home, or branches around NZ

Pumpkin Eater
23-11-2004, 08:11 PM
My F1 downloads flat out now, a few days ago, i uninstalled Microsoft messager for a second time, i have a suspection that updates may have installed it again, i have not ever needed system restore so it can not be that.

I amn using jetstream, but disabling it at times to dial up Paradise to get my eamails there, when the dial up finished sometimes my system would lock up fro 10m minutes, CPU running 99% in windows explorer.

I think MS Messager was using jetstream to keep in touch with the www, and it got confused when i switched to dial up. getting rid of it unexpectly fixed f1 downloads.

i got the telecom dlink dsl router, i suspect the cd to set it up, my have got messager running aagin, maybe it grabbed it off the restore files on the hdd partition.

ninja
23-11-2004, 08:22 PM
> I amn using jetstream, but disabling it at times to
> dial up Paradise to get my eamails there, when the
> dial up finished sometimes my system would lock up
> fro 10m minutes, CPU running 99% in windows
> explorer.

Why? You should be able to POP your Paradise mail from any IP address.

personthingy
23-11-2004, 10:37 PM
Hey dudes... the bottleneck has nothing to do with your connection speed, but the kind of site it is. The pages are produced as needed from components in a database that the server also has to add to everytime someone joins or posts anything. Some times this takes a moment.....or 10

My connection is real fast, and sadly Pf1 is near as slow as what i might expect from a dial up connection.

But lets not moan, thats they way it is, and if we donīt like it.........

(Iīm still here)
:-)
Chris

metla
23-11-2004, 10:45 PM
Pressf1 is still instant for me,fine over dialup when i use it as well....

Pumpkin Eater
24-11-2004, 09:20 AM
Hey Chris, maybe you need to check earlier postings.

I am not changing too many settings for email, i signed up with Xtra Jetstream on their one month free and the free $99 connection offer and have to stay for six months. I down graded my Paradise acount plan to an hourly rate. when the six months is up, it can not be too soon, i dump Xtra and change jetstream to Paradise.

They tell me they are working on plans under cutting current telecom prices.

I got rid of my second landline and downgraded my Paradise plan, got the free Telecom offer, at the end of six months i will have saved about $8 per month from pre jetstream connections, got jetstream before Paradsie could sign me up, as i could not wait for dial up anymore as too busy.

I access dialup email 1-minute per day. I also pay Telstraclear for web site space, and i tod them my plans. they do have a sense of humour, as i will put my landline to them too when i change jetstream