PDA

View Full Version : Resetting my IE settings.

nomad
02-11-2004, 04:40 PM
Hi, I came to the conclusion security softwares does little after you have the basics. It also affected my surfing too, I cannot log onto Clear Net webmail, ebay without a notice coming up. It says I am prohibiting running of Active X controls on my page so this comes up each time after I search for someting on ebay, I also cannot log onto "My Ebay" after submitting my passwrod other than logging in, then going back to the homepage and clicking the link again.

I had Panicaware Pop up stopper, Spyware blaster, Hijack blaster. These were uninstalled. On IE I have all the patches. I have chose security medium level 5 and set it back to default settings. Still no avail...

I also have Zonealarm, AVG virus and Adware and Spybot with immunisation.

nomad
02-11-2004, 04:48 PM
I have tried to nail down by doing the following to no avail ..
took off spybot immunisation
turn IE 6 settings to security low.
turn IE settings to accept all cookies (privacy setting)
turn IE -t he advance tab to reset all back to default.

nomad
02-11-2004, 04:53 PM
I also shut down Zonealarm and turned off AVG virus with a restart of IE to go back to ebay, I am getting the same notice ..

is this becasue of IE's patches? or?
I have win2k with SP4.

nomad
02-11-2004, 05:27 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;836942

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, add Windows Update to the trusted sites zone:1. Start Internet Explorer.
2. Click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
3. Click the Security tab.
4. Click Trusted Sites, and then click Sites.
5. Clear the require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone check box.
6. Make sure that the following URLs are listed in the Web Sites box: http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
http://*.windowsupdate.com
Note: If you want to add a URL to the Web Sites list, and the Add button is unavailable, contact your system administrator.

At step (4) I cannot see where to add sites. I click onto Internet when I clicked onto security tab. The sites button is greyed out. If I clicked trusted sites, the site button is also greyed out. The only way I have found is if I click Intranet and then Advanced and add them that way.

Via security - customs I just forced to accept all ActiveX - all those categories. i just chose accept. And reloaded ebay for a search, I get this same thing..

Spacemannz
02-11-2004, 05:40 PM
At step (4) I cannot see where to add sites. I click onto Internet when I clicked onto security tab. The sites button is greyed out. If I clicked trusted sites, the site button is also greyed out. The only way I have found is if I click Intranet and then Advanced and add them that way.

Once you go to the above type the address in then add is/will be available.

YOU have to type something in the trusted sites to ADD it. Click ADD after u type the address into the box.

nomad
02-11-2004, 05:51 PM
I have typed those 3 addresses into Intranet.
However after coming out, the buttons are still greyed out. I can't press it under Internet or under Trusted Sites.

Under Internet it says nothing.
Under Trusted Sites it says, no sites are in this zone.

Spacemannz
02-11-2004, 06:29 PM
Well did u type something in (a site) into trusted sites under Tools/internet options/security/trusted sites/sites??

Then click on add to add it?? As it says when u try and add a non https site, whatever u add to the trusted sites have to start with https for it to be secure.

Or untick the require server verification option under the trusted sites/sites window down the bottom. Then it might let u enter any site in besides https ones.

nomad
02-11-2004, 08:03 PM
Under Trusted Sites its locked up entirely.
I cannot press Sites.
I cannot press Custom level or default level.

Its all greyed out. I'm on win2k pro SP4 IE 6

Spacemannz
02-11-2004, 08:13 PM
Hmm is there more than 1 user on that computer? this is your PC right??
And youre the only person using it?

Or u using some kind of tweaking program in 2000 or something?

Coz you should be able to add sites under security/trusted sites/add

Other than that, it sounds like something else has stuffed IE up.

Oxie
02-11-2004, 08:59 PM
Nomad

Have you tried repairing IE6? Click on Start, Settings, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs. Double click Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Tools. Select Repair Internet Explorer & hit Ok. This will fix any detected errors in your IE6 installation. Reboot for the changes to take effect.

Oxie (Lyn)

nomad
02-11-2004, 11:17 PM
I do not have the repair function. IE is not listed under add/remove software. However if I click onto add/remove windows componenta all it says is add or remove IE from the desktop or start menu. Thats it.

I checked the help menu of IE and the Tools - internet options I cannot find the repari option.

I think it may had been when I installed the security softwares of Hijack blaster and Spywareblaster. I would have a look at their site see if i can uninstall it or reinstall it and choose un-block or un-immunised before i uninstall it.

nomad
02-11-2004, 11:18 PM
> I do not have the repair function. IE is not listed
> under add/remove software. However if I click onto
> add/remove windows componenta all it says is add or
> remove IE from the desktop or start menu. Thats it.

I have tried this to no avail ..

nomad
03-11-2004, 12:46 AM
I think I may need to do a format. :D
Well, I get to run some demo softwares again ;)
I install those 2 softwares and then disabled the protection and uninstalled it. Then I reinstalled IE 6 with the PC World CD. It still does not fix it.

zqwerty
03-11-2004, 12:53 AM
The repair option reveals itself on my computer when you click to uninstal IE6.

nomad
03-11-2004, 01:16 AM
The problem is I don't have IE uninstall option. Under my win2k control panel, add/remove software its not listed. I only have the section add/remove windows components which just plays around with the icons on the desktop and the start menu.

Maybe this is win2k and I cannot uninstall IE?

I put the IE 6 CD back in the drive again. All I get is exit setup or reinstall all (which I did before).

nomad
03-11-2004, 07:15 PM
Now .. I cannot get my CDRW to work. Its crapped up. It does not eject, if I force the door open and give it a push it does not close. Its a old 2000 model HP 2x external via parallel port. It worked, don't make many .. now its dead and I need to pay unnecessarily :(

How do I format now :(
Upon my last IE6 reinstall I now I cannot right click and open in new window. Its all white, just empty. When I click on "emotions" while I was before writing this message the window pops up with nothing (just white), then this page with my text in it goes to that page, then I press the back button and it lost all my words I had typed .... X-(

Spacemannz
03-11-2004, 07:33 PM
I wld get an IDE burner, if u have a spare connecction, or if the mobo has ide at all.

Theyre pretty cheap for a reasonably fast cd burner. About 79-80+ GST

zqwerty
03-11-2004, 07:39 PM
Do you have TweakUI, I am fairly sure there are options to hide add/remove in the control panel. You will have to enable them again using TweakUI if indeed you are running it. I also am on Win2K.

nomad
03-11-2004, 08:16 PM
yes i have tweakui, all i have under the section of control panel via tweakui is ODBC and Network Connections. These were the only 2 that were unticked.

Umm... I would a DVD burner now an IDE one they pretty cheap these days. Digital photos is a big hassle on CDrs.. maybe not at the mo thou.

nomad
03-11-2004, 08:18 PM
yes I do see IE as a entry under control panel but there is just no way to repair IE or uninstall ... when i click on it .. it just bring up Internet Options as if I did it in IE by going to the tools menu.

Pheonix
03-11-2004, 08:34 PM
Have a look here (http://www.theeldergeek.com/repair_ie6.htm) as it has 2 methods, and the second one sounds like your way. :)

zqwerty
03-11-2004, 08:35 PM
Are you saying that you do not have the option to remove any programs other than Windows ones?

You should have in control panel - add/remove programs, double click it, there are options listed on the left hand side of the resulting window which allow you to choose what you want to do next, which would be to press the top option - change or remove programs, whereupon you choose to uninstall IE6 and when you do an option will be presented to repair it.

nomad
03-11-2004, 10:40 PM
Hi, yup, I see the windows app like Photoshop, MS Office etc.. but there appears no listing for Internet Explorer. Other than going via the other entry of windows components which messes around with the icons on the desktop and the start menu.

I'll have a look of that link, thanks Phoenix.
I reinstalled IE 6 from the CD appears the right click, open in new window is not back working. Maybe that was when I installed those 2 security software when I was trying to disable the features to see if it would roll back (which was unsuccesful).

Now that is better, I am still having ActiveX issues. :(

nomad
03-11-2004, 10:42 PM
> I reinstalled IE 6 from the CD appears the right
> click, open in new window is not back working.

I meant it is now back on working. Still active x thou to work on

nomad
03-11-2004, 10:49 PM
BUMP.

Phoenix, that link was for WinXP. I am on win2k pro.
I did a google search trying to uninstall IE and they got this to say:
Reapplying the service pack, you know how long that took me to download via Windows Update (?!).

SYMPTOMS
Updated versions of Internet Explorer are not listed in the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel after you install a Microsoft Windows 2000 service pack.
WORKAROUND
If you need to uninstall Internet Explorer, uninstall the Windows 2000 service pack, uninstall Internet Explorer by using the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel, and then reapply the Windows 2000 service pack.
STATUS
This behavior is by design.

nomad
03-11-2004, 10:56 PM
RE: Microsoft's great advice, uninstalling service pack is not listed under my control panel. I think SP4 may be not possible to be uninstalled.

Pheonix
03-11-2004, 11:01 PM
Sorry about that, must have missed the windows version.

I was just thinking while reading the thread, that maybe it might be time to try out Firefox as your browser :D

Man that IE can cause some headaches. I admire your persistance.

nomad
03-11-2004, 11:10 PM
Hey, now this is strange. The CDRW is LPT style. If you jack open the case you could fit a HDD inside and run external as via a parallel port enclosure.

So earlier today I popped the PC's HDD into this enclosure and it works fine. Now I pop the CDRW back in its own case (enclosure) it does not power up. Ah! The drive is dead as the enclosure works fine with the hdd.

But no, cos this cdrw when put into my old 200mhz PC works and actually reads a CD. What is this cliffhanger :D