PDA

View Full Version : Automatic connection not wanted

Mada
02-11-2004, 01:38 PM
I have got two computers networked together (crossover cable), with one (Win 98SE) set up to use the other's dial-up connection (Win XP pro). Sometimes the Win 98 computer connects to the internet (via the network) automatically, so I have turned internet connection sharing off in XP. I still want to connect manually to the internet via the network. Does anyone have a solution?

Spacemannz
02-11-2004, 01:45 PM
In Tools/ Internet options/connections in IE, select never dial a connection. Then OK. That should stop it trying to dial out.

Or / and just turn off XP's option under the dialup/properties/advanced.

Establish a dialup connection whenever a computer on my network attempts to access the internet, and the option below it.

and

Allow other network users to control or disable the shared internet connection

Just leave allow other users to connect thru this computer's internet connection ticked.

Mada
02-11-2004, 01:49 PM
Actually, it connects automatically without IE6 interfering.

Spacemannz
02-11-2004, 01:54 PM
Well it will if the option i put above isnt on never dial a connection. Change it to never dial a conection, and untick the 2nd and 3rd option in advanced under the main PC's dialup. See what happens

Mada
02-11-2004, 02:02 PM
Will I still be able to connect from the 98 computer without connecting using the XP computer first?

Spacemannz
02-11-2004, 02:08 PM
Well if the 98 PC has a modem in it and its plugged into a phone jack, and it has a shortcut to your ISP on the desktop.

So, you can dial up, yup it will .

If it has no modem in it (the 98 PC), then nope u cant dial directly from the 98 PC.

Mada
02-11-2004, 02:12 PM
Umm...maybe I'm being a bit confusing. One of the main reasons I networked 2 computers together was because one of them was in a room with no phone jack nearby, and I wanted to connect to the internet with it as well. The XP computer is the one with the phone jack nearby and the 98 PC is the one isolated from the web.

Mada
02-11-2004, 02:12 PM
Both of them are already networked.

Spacemannz
02-11-2004, 02:18 PM
Nope you cant then. The 98 PC HAS to go thru XP's internet connection.

There is no other way you're going to get 98 on the net without going thru the XP PC, if u haven't got

1. A modem.

2. A phonejack for the 98 PC. So 98 can get onto the net, without going thru XP's internet connection.

Can 98 get on the net now or not?? Or does it just dial up thru XP's modem, and when u try and get onto the net, it doesnt work??
Can u or did u get the 98 PC going thru XP??

Pheonix
02-11-2004, 03:01 PM
Also, some programs (on98) that have automatic update can force the XP to dial the internet.
Check anti-virus & firewall programs for automatic update feature.

Just a thought.