PDA

View Full Version : Unlimited national traffic on which plans?

mister harbies
01-11-2004, 09:23 AM
Hi fellow F1ers,

I while back, I remember Xtra provided a Jetstream plan with unlimited national traffic, but 10gb or 10mb of international traffic. Where is this plan now? I don't seem to be able to find it, as Xtra have changed their pricing plans a few times since I looked into JetStream last time.

I reason I want to find this plan, because I am looking at Video Conferencing. Suppose there was free national traffic, I could use video conferencing at no charge if I conferenced with those in New Zealand, but would need to pay for those conferences overseas.

Mister Harbies

whtafo
01-11-2004, 09:26 AM
> I don't seem to be able to find it, as Xtra have
> changed their pricing plans a few times since I
> looked into JetStream last time.

3 clicks on Telecom's web-site.
http://www.telecom.co.nz/chm/0,5123,203071-202470,00.html

> Suppose there was free
> national traffic, I could use video conferencing at
> no charge if I conferenced with those in New Zealand,
> but would need to pay for those conferences
> overseas.

Not going to happen.

mister harbies
01-11-2004, 09:32 AM
Yes,

This is all I found, but I was trying to point out that I could not find the old plan, so I suppose you are suggesting the old plan is finished now?

So, what about JetStreamGames website, don't they talk about free gaming through their website because it is national traffic? Or is it because they have some agreement with Telecom?

Mister Harbies

Greg S
01-11-2004, 09:41 AM
> so I suppose you
> are suggesting the old plan is finished now?

That's correct.

> So, what about JetStreamGames website, don't they
> talk about free gaming through their website because
> it is national traffic? Or is it because they have
> some agreement with Telecom?

I'm not sure the reasoning behind free access to Jetstreamgames is because it's local traffic, although that may be partly correct. I'd say it's more of a promotional thing to encourage customers to join Jetstream ADSL services (Jetstream games free service is only available to NZ ADSL users)

whtafo
01-11-2004, 10:07 AM
> This is all I found, but I was trying to point out
> that I could not find the old plan, so I suppose you
> are suggesting the old plan is finished now?

Telecom are changing their plans every 5 minutes at the moment, the last release of plans was valid for about a month at best then they changed everything again.

We've give up updating our web-site to match their plan changes, and certainly won't be printing brochures again anytime soon.

> So, what about JetStreamGames website, don't they
> talk about free gaming through their website because
> it is national traffic? Or is it because they have
> some agreement with Telecom?

JS Games is a Telecom provided service, to receive it for free you have to log into a specific JS Games realm, which used to give you full speed free access. Now it gives you free access at the same speed as your existing plan.

Rumours are it will be discontinued in the not too distant future.

Greg S
01-11-2004, 10:54 AM
> This is all I found, but I was trying to point out
> that I could not find the old plan, so I suppose
> you
> which used to give you full speed free access.
> Now it gives you free access at the same speed as
> your existing plan.

You sure that's correct? I connected to it about 5 days ago and downloaded a 750MB file at 6Mb/s - I'm on a 256k Jetsurf plan.

godfather
01-11-2004, 11:31 AM
> You sure that's correct? I connected to it about 5
> days ago and downloaded a 750MB file at 6Mb/s - I'm
> on a 256k Jetsurf plan.

When Telecom control the DSL speed at Network level, you will probably unable to connect at anything above your plan speed, anywhere.

But that has not yet happened globally as far as I know.

Until then JSG realm is full speed.

whtafo
01-11-2004, 12:11 PM
> You sure that's correct? I connected to it about 5
> days ago and downloaded a 750MB file at 6Mb/s - I'm
> on a 256k Jetsurf plan.

They are rolling it out at the moment, it has to do with the speed restrictions being moved closer to the line endpoint rather than further up the exchange.

Growly
01-11-2004, 07:55 PM
Those ATM switches are gonna get really fancy real soon :D

Ashley Matthews
01-11-2004, 09:09 PM
http://www.quicksilver.co.nz/products/adsl-broadband.php

Quicksilver Internets "Quickfire Flatrate" may be exactly what you are looking for. Free national @ 256k, 10gb international.

mister harbies
02-11-2004, 08:28 AM
That is what I was looking for, but I am having doubts about the speed they are offering. 256mb for video conferencing. I am not sure if that is suitable for my needs. I need the image so clear I will be able to notice a zit on the other person's forehead, and the images should not be jerky so quick movements are also clear.

You guys seen the KIT Screens at St Lukes Mall, and there are also screens in Courtney Pl in Wellington and somewhere in Christchurch. These screens are linked up.... I need the quality to be like that or better.

Mister Harbies

whtafo
02-11-2004, 09:14 AM
> You guys seen the KIT Screens at St Lukes Mall, and
> there are also screens in Courtney Pl in Wellington
> and somewhere in Christchurch. These screens are
> linked up.... I need the quality to be like that or
> better.

Then you shouldn't even be considering ADSL. If you want conferencing like that you'll need multiple ISDN's, or an ATM.

Start applying for Credit Cards.

mister harbies
02-11-2004, 12:01 PM
LOL,

This is not for personal use. Won't be using my credit cards.

When you mentioned ATM, I hope you did not mean the bank machines? Im going to do a google search for ATM and ISDN connections, and see what I come up with.

What I hope to do is set up a network between say 50-100 businesses and organisations throughout New Zealand, to enable video conferencing between them. Also with the possibility of connecting to the home user with the proper video conferencing equipment.

Hopefully the home user will be able to remain on ADSL, and contact these businesses and organisations through video conferencing.

Google, here I come...

Mister Harbies