PDA

View Full Version : 'Puter won't come out of hibernation

Steve_L
31-10-2004, 01:38 PM
I do not normally put my PC in hibernation since a couple of times I had to press the Reset button to bring it back to life. Anyhow, last night put it in hibernation and today it just will not boot up - blank screen ("No video input"). Have not had any other problems.

3 months old, XP Home, 3GHz, 1G RAM, 120G main HD + 80G backup. Antivirus up to date, also Zone Alarm and SpyBot and AdAware.

It seems that the CD drive is trying to be accessed when I power on the PC, but putting in a CD does nothing. Also have a DVD-CD but it's light does not blink. Pressing the reset button does nothing, and the main power button also does nada, so had to (reluctantly) power off at the wall.

Guess I will have to take it into the shop tomorrow, but I am curious what the problem might be. Could it be an incorrect bios setting?

Thanks.

mark c
31-10-2004, 02:13 PM
Yes could be that the bios checks the CD drive first and on finding no OS to boot gives up and goes back to sleep. Seems pretty unlikely though.
First it would somehow have to have the setting changed. Not a common occurence without human intervention.
Secondly wouldn't the drive sequence be such that the OS would be sourced from the next drive in the list?

Be interesting to find out when you bring it back from the shop.
(If someone here can't help you get it going that is) :D

Spacemannz
31-10-2004, 02:19 PM
Sounds a bit like mine sometimes. BUT I think mine is because the molex power adaptor to one of my hdd's is kinda buggered (one of the wires comes out sometimes). And I have to open the case to push it back in.

And it seems to go. I think I'll haveta replace it sooner or later (the power adaptor). Usually if there's an incorrect setting in the BIOS (which I would say doesnt usually happen), it should still turn it, and give u the option to enter the BIOS and fix it (or reset it back to the default settings).

Unless you flashed the BIOS recently, and something went wrong. (like the power went off or something during flashing)? And killed it completely.

BUT I dont use hibernation. I would open the case and if u have molex power adaptors, check to see if any of the wires are coming out (I guess u cant do this, if u brought it as a system, and its still under warranty, which may not be a good idea tho).

HadO
31-10-2004, 02:54 PM
If its sitting there with a blank screen and the cd drive light is on and the hard disk light is on also then I would say you have a major problem.

Resetting the BIOS through the jumper (wipe CMOS memory) could be an issue but if its new let the shop sort it out.

B.M.
31-10-2004, 04:35 PM
Have you tried putting in you XP CD? (Not just any CD)

If it tries to start with the CD I think you can hit "r" to get to the recovery console.

drb1
31-10-2004, 09:20 PM
Steve,

Some programs will allow the unit to hibernate but it will then not wake up.

Winfast tv xp, in some machines

Adobae type manager, in some others, I have had problems with both.

There will be others some H/W configurations and Hibetnate just dont go.

If you shut down from wall and wait for full memory dump time period, then try to get into BIOS and turn off Externall Cache and any Video or Bios Shadowing.

Then try to get Boot menue, go to F8, you should get an option to discard Hibernate Data, take it, Shut down and restart F8.

Let it go into F8, and sit, then try to shut down and normall Boot.

Then put back Shadow/Cache, Ect.

Work on from there, Some times there Errors can be very difficult to trace.

D.

george12
31-10-2004, 10:25 PM
As far as my understanding goes - and I am nearly sure of this, hibernation is a software thing as far as startup goes.

What I mean is, hibernation data cannot affect physical startup (your situation appears to be no POST). This is because it is stored on the hard drive, and is not even accessed at all until your PC has completeted the POST (AFTER it has said things such as 524288KB OK etc.

It is just like how a software problem with the operating system cannot cause smoke to pour from the motherboard (unless....).

I think that a core component such as your motherboard, RAM, CPU or possibly graphics card has failed (motherboard being by far most likely).

HTH
George

Steve_L
03-11-2004, 10:32 PM
>>>Update

>(your situation appears to be no POST)

Yes, I believe the techie who repaired my PC mentioned this, within the context that the video card had to be replaced (Radeon 128 Mb, I think).

All appears to be OK now. :)

Glad to be back on a fast 'puter with LCD screen and XP instead of W98.

:)