PDA

View Full Version : printer timeout error

jarques
30-10-2004, 02:10 PM
Recently my aging PC had Word 98 replaced by my friendly Chinese computer shop. They re-installed my Epson Color 440 printer (that still has the odd dinosaur chew-mark on it) and I now can't use the thing. Keep on getting "Error writing to LPTI. Printer timeout error occured, to increase etc"
When I go to Printer Properties, under Details I had "Time out settings"
Not_selected 15 seconds
Transmission re-try 45 seconds
So I changed the 15 to 65. Still no joy. Same message. Have un-installed and re-installed three times but nothing changes. Even installed a "new" (well would you beleive 1998?)driver. Everything else seems to work fine on the printer which has been a good old workhorse.
Any ideas? I couldn't find a reference to this sort of problem in your archives.
Cheers John

Spacemannz
30-10-2004, 02:22 PM
I would try another printer, if u have 1 or borrow a mates. If it does the same thing, your parallel port maybe screwed.

Spacemannz
30-10-2004, 02:23 PM
Oops, if u try to print a test page does it print? Or bring up the same error?

jarques
30-10-2004, 02:30 PM
Yep, I tried a trial page and got the same message. John

Graham L
30-10-2004, 02:36 PM
Check the BIOS settings of the printer port. If the printer (and its driver) need one of the bidirectional modes, and the BIOS is set for one-way, you will get time-outs. ;-)

jarques
30-10-2004, 03:03 PM
Thanks Stephen. I understand BIAS (watching US election) not BIOS. Where do I find the settings?
Cheers John

jarques
30-10-2004, 03:06 PM
Sorry, sorry, sorry. Meant GRAHAM
John

Spacemannz
30-10-2004, 03:11 PM
U get into BIOS either by pressing one of these as soon as the pc boots

F1/F10 or any of the function keys. It'll usually tell u as soon as the system boots on the screen. Or it could be the DEL key.

Susan B
30-10-2004, 03:54 PM
Yeah, but Spacemannz, I think Jarques wants to know where to go once he is in the BIOS. ;-)

godfather
30-10-2004, 04:22 PM
Has anybody noticed that if the version of Word was really "Word 98", as described, we are dealing with an Apple computer and not a Windows based one.

There is no Windows version of Word 98, only Apple.

Or am I missing something?

Susan B
30-10-2004, 04:30 PM
Ah, but do many, if any, Chinese computer shops sell/repair/promote Apple PCs?

Methinks Word may have been on the brain therefore the fingers typed Word 98 unbidden instead of the Windows 98 that was probably intended. ;-)

jarques
30-10-2004, 06:10 PM
Susan:
You are quite right. I have just finished writing 4000 Words for a Varsity essay and had "word" on my mind. And also agreed, once I enter the magic kingdom of BIOS (through one of my 98 Windows) whither?
Cheers John

jarques
31-10-2004, 09:20 AM
It now being Sunday and attempting to think logically I have sent a query to Epson's New Zealand technical support although the machine is not named in their tick list. If I get something that works I'll post it back, meantime back in BIOSland.......?????
John

beama
31-10-2004, 09:48 AM
John
sorry to distube your ventures into the BIOS but could you check the spooler for me
go to start -> settings-> printers double click on your printer goto File (top left of the spooler window) check that the print spooler is not paused, if there is a tick beside pause menu option click on this option once.
another question while you ar in there
Is the printer icon greyed out ie is the printer icon lighter in colour than normal (the same effect as if an option was greyed out or unavailble)

Graham L
31-10-2004, 01:52 PM
The BIOS setup will have a top page which will give either a menu or a row of tabs at the top which gets you into other pages. Look for things like "Advanced", "Peripherals", "Ports" ...

You can't do any damage as long as you remember "ESC gets you out", and note that exiting will prompt you to save any changes. If you're not sure, don't save changes. :D