PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Laughable error message from game

Dolby Digital
30-10-2004, 11:24 AM
Hi

Purchased a budget priced game yesterday and tried to install it on my Celeron 1.7GHz pc. Well it told me I didn't have a Pentium CPU and refused to install. The minimum spec is a Pentium II 266. I think mine is just a bit faster than that :)

Mike
30-10-2004, 12:06 PM
Do you have (or have access to) another PC that might just have a Pentium CPU you could install to? Then just copy the whole install folder from one to the other and it should work :)

Mike.

Graham L
30-10-2004, 01:22 PM
That's quite a common problem. It's a natural result of limited precision mathematics, and the impossibility of predicting the future.

Your 1.7 GHz will round to a negative speed in 32 bit signed arithmetic. Any negative number is "smaller than" 266, so your CPU is too slow. :D

The computer can't lie.

mikebartnz
30-10-2004, 02:20 PM
Yes it is amazing how many times I've come across programs that have used the wrong integer type.

Graham L
30-10-2004, 02:28 PM
It wasn't "wrong" when the code was written, perhaps 5 or 10 years ago.

Of course your remark is very true generally... I shudder to think of the amount of "computing" which is done by code written by prople ignorant of numerical methods. I was not impressed when I found a compiler option which would give an interrupt for integer over/underflow in a mini. The default was not to give errors. :D This of course makes programmesrun faster. :D

mikebartnz
30-10-2004, 02:40 PM
> This of course makes programmesrun faster.
Like in a car with a concrete wall ahead and no seatbelt on.