PDA

View Full Version : Video Card or CPU?

Mercenary
30-10-2004, 10:24 AM
I replaced my motherboard suspecting it of being the problem and it was not. So now I am between the video card and the CPU. When I booted up with another video card it worked, then I put in my own (the suspect) video card again and it similarly worked. But now when I boot up it crashes and says system failed CPU test. Can a faulty CPU cause problems like this?

Could a static damaged motherboard cause problems like this?

Mercenary
30-10-2004, 10:32 AM
Sorry to double post but I thought of some other things. Sometimes after multiple reboots the machine fails to power on at all, that is, I press the power button and it powers on and dies immediately w/o even giving a system failed cpu test message. Could the power supply be a suspect? Does rebooting (via the power button) frequently, damage something?

Billy T
30-10-2004, 10:34 AM
Read this thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=49912) then come back with more details so that we can better understand the history of your problem.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Mercenary
30-10-2004, 11:43 AM
I've of course read that thread before and the first time I posted about my problem I included all relevant system specs and other msicellaneous information. No one was able to help me and furthermore no one even referred to the system specs I provided. This time around I did not post the specs because they are unneccessary. It is not a compatibillity or a driver issue it is simply a hardware failure.

I tested my vid card in my roommate's comp and his in my comp and my comp still crashed and his did not. Evidently the video card is fine. I'm guessing now that its the processor.

One last question before I go what can cause CPU failure? (its a 3.2ghz P4 HT northwood chip FYI). Is it at all worthwhile to buy the 15 dollar arcticsilver thermal paste or will I even notice a disparity between that and the 2 dollar crap from radioshack?

Mike
30-10-2004, 12:02 PM
> I've of course read that thread before and the first
> time I posted about my problem I included all
> relevant system specs and other msicellaneous
> information. No one was able to help me and
> furthermore no one even referred to the system specs
> I provided. This time around I did not post the specs
> because they are unneccessary. It is not a
> compatibillity or a driver issue it is simply a
> hardware failure.

Not just system specs - in this thread you haven't even told us what the "problem" is, but you ask what might be causing the problem. I can't help as I don't know what's been happening to start with. I do not think I have seen your previous post (and am not going to go through searching for it).

Mike.

45South
30-10-2004, 12:24 PM
In my experience CPU's either go or they don't
But I have had a few earlier pentiums that would run fine when the L2 cache disabled & not at all when it was enabled.
Your setup is much newer so I'm not really of much help
sorry

Mercenary
30-10-2004, 03:26 PM
When you put it that way I see more clearly why you referred me to the newbie poster guide.

When I boot up the system crashes and gives a voice post of "System failed cpu test." Sometimes it displays graphical oddities (vertical bands or messed up windows logo) and sometimes it displays nothing at all, as it would if the videocard wasnt properly seated (the card IS properly seated).

45South
30-10-2004, 03:40 PM
Has the setup ever worked properly?
What video card is it?
Did you by any chance install video drivers through Windows Update?

Graham L
30-10-2004, 03:44 PM
Try slowing the system down a bit. If it works at a lower speed, I might start to suspect the memory. :D

Billy T
30-10-2004, 05:58 PM
> When you put it that way I see more clearly why you
> referred me to the newbie poster guide.

Is This (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=52349&message=326888#326888) your old post?

Just a quick tip here Karim, if you have an ongoing problem it pays to post in the same thread, not start a new one, then we don't have to guess the history. Anyway, welcome back, nice to have a member from the US of A on board.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Mercenary
01-11-2004, 11:38 AM
Yes I know I shouldn't have started a new thread. Anyways I'm getting intel to replace the cpu for free. <3 intel. Maybe when I install that and the system still doesn't work I'll be back Z:(

KatiMike
01-11-2004, 01:29 PM
very similar happened to me once with a gigabyte mobo - faulty RAM was the problem

Prescott
01-11-2004, 06:51 PM
> very similar happened to me once with a gigabyte mobo
> - faulty RAM was the problem

yes, there are many times when there is a problem and this is because of old/bad quality ram, buy a good brand and this might save you some cash/problems :D