PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Resolution

jabba
29-10-2004, 05:58 PM
Hi,
have a P3 550 running XP Pro and a ati 16mb graphics card...i think it was an ATI. I gave it to my brother. i had the display resolution set at 1024x768. he has set it up with his old monitor but the res must be too high for his old monitor as all he gets is rubbish. he has tried going into safe mode which has a lower res so it's easier to read but can't keep that res setting. how can we reset the res to a lower setting when we can't see it?
Any help would be appreciated. cheers.

Jen C
29-10-2004, 06:05 PM
Just to clarify things - you have manually changed the resolution to a lower setting (eg 800x600) whilst in Safe Mode, but when you boot back into Normal Mode it loads 1024x768 instead of 800x600?

jabba
29-10-2004, 06:07 PM
thats correct, any ideas?

Prescott
29-10-2004, 06:08 PM
if hes getting "rubbish" is it only from that monitor, and it works fine on others, have you tried a driver update?

FrankS
29-10-2004, 07:10 PM
Some suggestions
Find name, model etc of old monitor and get a manual off the Internet
Try another computer to monitor cable, it may have damaged pins, hence rubbish.
If possible degauss the monitor

Terry Porritt
29-10-2004, 07:33 PM
Perhaps more likely it is the refresh rate that is set too high, not the resolution, and the display adapter reverts to its original setting when rebooting into normal mode.

Maybe the thing to do is to go into safe mode and reset the display to 640x480 and from the adapter tab set the refresh rate to adapter default or to a lower refresh rate if the options are available.

Then again the monitor vga cable could be crook, but I think you would easily see if the monitor has just lost vertical or horizontal sync.

Peter H
29-10-2004, 07:34 PM
In safe mode remove the drivers - system - device manager - and set to standard VGA. You should then be able to install the drivers again.
Bye

jabba
30-10-2004, 07:34 AM
Terry and Peter,
I think your onto it...if i uninstall the display driver it will reset back to defaults and should be able to choose vga settings which is the most the monitor can handle, i think. this is not unusual for this to happen with this monitor, with his old 'puter every time it was sent in for repair, my brother would have the same problem when it came home, but it was easily fixed in safe mode, this time though the new one has a seperate graphics card and the old one only had the MB integrated graphics. he will get a new monitor eventually, but cannot afford it at this time, so this is why we are have to do this.
he lives in dunedin, i was thinking of trying the remote support in XP but i don't think you can do that in safe mode, eh!?

Greg S
30-10-2004, 09:48 AM
Not sure why you should need to go into safe mode. Can't you just go into display properties and reset the res to 800x600?

Terry Porritt
30-10-2004, 10:08 AM
Because Greg, in normal mode the screen is just a jumble, so there is no way to click on anything :)

It sounds very much as though this monitor is a very old VGA one, that will only display 640x480 at a limited refresh rate, maybe 60Hz.

jabba
30-10-2004, 10:51 AM
Very true Terry, i think its VERY old!
Greg, if you can't see somthing you can click it...
has anybody used the romte assistance thing on XP? does it work?

Susan B
30-10-2004, 01:05 PM
> has anybody used the romte assistance thing on XP? does it work?

Yes it does, but probably not in safe mode and it might be difficult to use with the sick monitor in question.

Are you able to choose the monitor's resolution/refresh rate with the buttons on the monitor itself? You can with some models.

jabba
30-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Sucess!!!! When you go into the safe mode options screen e.g. safe mode, safe mode with networking etc.
There is a option "enable VGA mode" we tried that and it worked well. The computer started normally rather than in safe mode and we were able to adjust settings such as res/refresh rate from there.

Thanks everybody.
Hey Susan B,
Is there an easy to follow "how to use remote assistance" manual/instruction book?

Peter H
30-10-2004, 01:26 PM
Good to hear - saving up hard for a new monitor now?
Bye

Terry Porritt
30-10-2004, 01:39 PM
Echo....Good to hear

Obvious when told how :)

Susan B
30-10-2004, 01:47 PM
As easy as that? :O

So simple when you know how, isn't it? :D

Glad you solved that one. For remote assistance assistance go to Start>Help and Support and type in "remote assistance". Choose an option, eg "Providing Remote Assistance" and all will be revealed and you can even print the instructions out if necessary. :-)

jabba
30-10-2004, 03:59 PM
Yeah, he (my brother) has already gone and got one, because when we got it going at vga the monitor was starting to flicker, would'nt even run 800x600. he found a HP Pavilion 14" that will do 1024x764 at 60hrz for $68 from cash converters. Thanks Susan for the info. Thanks everyone for the help, I was amazed at the ease of fixing it, funny how it was starring me in the face all that time!

Cheers!

HadO
30-10-2004, 07:11 PM
60Hz is sh*t... you will be getting headaches after a few hours - this is especially bad when doing word processing or using things with non moving (static) backgrounds.

You really want to run no lower than 75Hz - lower the resolution to achieve a better refresh rate if it bothers you.

jabba
30-10-2004, 07:52 PM
Limited funds, mate. B-)