PDA

View Full Version : Norton Antivirus Settings

dadzka
29-10-2004, 07:31 AM
Hi - there, have just up-dated from dial up to Jetsurf 3 gig plan and now automatic updates of virus definitions is not working. Presume NAV is trying to use dial up modem to download updates. Do I need to change the settings to enable automatic updates and if so, how do you do it? Any help appreciated.

tweak\'e
29-10-2004, 08:02 AM
click on the liveupdate icon in control panel, check what settings its on.

does it update manually ?

dadzka
29-10-2004, 08:12 AM
Am at work at the moment so am unable to check settings - noticed no updated virus listings this morning (automatic update and instal is set) so clicked on live update to manually update and heard system firing up the now redundant dial up modem. Needless to say update attempt failed as unable to access etc etc. Presume will have to reconfigure settings somehow for new Jetsurf connection but am not sure how to do this.

Mzee
29-10-2004, 07:05 PM
Check that your dial up connection is not still the default connection.
If you are not going to use it again, remove it.

dadzka
30-10-2004, 11:42 AM
If I delete the dial up modem the automatic liveupdate gives a message that unable to connect to internet provider and to please check connection. When system reboots it auto detects the modem and restores it. Is there a way to alter the settings for the autoupdate to not utilise the dial up modem. Have deleted and reinstalled NAV but was unable to update the virus updates and had to go to site and manually download and install and run a virus check. But have not been able to download all the other updates.

Susan B
30-10-2004, 01:02 PM
There must be some setting in Nortons to change to your current internet connection but I do not use Nortons so cannot help with that.

What you could try with the modem, though, is go to Hardware Devices (Windows key+Pause/Break>Hardware>Device Manager in Win XP) and under the modem properties click on "Do Not Use/Disable This Device". That should prevent it being reinstalled after every boot up.

dadzka
31-10-2004, 05:56 AM
Thanks for that Susan - have disabled dial up modem so that will eliminate that problem. With modem disabled am getting error message "live update could not connect to your ISP. Verify your dial up info is correct". So far have been unable to find any settings/adjustment under NAV that will point it in the right direction. Have been unable to find anything on the Symantec help site that is of any help here either. Will send them an e-mail outlining my problem and see if I can get a response.

Cheers

johnboy
31-10-2004, 08:27 AM
What is the exact error message ?? put the error number in this search (http://www.symantec.com/search/) box .
hth

dadzka
31-10-2004, 08:37 AM
Did not bring up an error number - just the dialogue in the automatic update box advising could not connect and to check dial up info correct and ending session. However, have fixed the problem (I think). By going into Control panel and changing to Classic View it brings up an icon for Symantic Live update and I was able to right click on icon and bring up Properties and adjust the internet connection settings from there.