PDA

View Full Version : Icons corrupted?

supergran
28-10-2004, 07:56 PM
My niece is running Windows Me, and rung me today, as she thought her kids had changed all her icons to something that looks all like coloured lines. First trip was to 'housecall', no viruses, run spybot and adaware, no change. Tried refreshing the icons, then changing them, no, they wanted to stay the same. So after reading here, someone suggested deleting the 'shelliconcache' in safe mode. Anyone think that is a good idea, or do I just reinstall windows over the top, and see what happens? TIA

drb1
28-10-2004, 08:07 PM
Gran,

Change nothing!

First check!

Is it only icons, or are other things being displayed incorrectly as well?

D.

mikebartnz
28-10-2004, 08:20 PM
Have you checked the video settings.

supergran
28-10-2004, 08:46 PM
As far as I could find, it is only icons, but not only desktop icons, ones in folders as well, and some folder icons too. As for checking the video settings, how do I do that. I checked the settings in properties when I right clicked on the desktop, and went into control panel and checked device manager and 'display adapters, but never thought of video props. No obvious x's in there that I could find, but can check again tomorrow. '

supergran
28-10-2004, 08:53 PM
Oh yes, and I also run scan disk, no probs, disk defrag, and emptied temp files and temp internet file folder. Think that was all I had time for before work today. Was going back tomorrow to attack it again. Reboot doesn't fix it, but didn't try safe mode, as couldn't remember how to make that work with a HP running Me.

zqwerty
28-10-2004, 09:39 PM
ME has system restore does it not?

drb1
28-10-2004, 09:43 PM
> ME has system restore does it not?

Yes.

If it was current that could be worth a shot.

Thank you for reminding me. I just got a laptop with ME, and COA, and no disk. Must get a disk from somewhere, and turn on restore.

D.

supergran
28-10-2004, 09:49 PM
Yes it does have a system restore, but not sure if she has turned it on, I will check that tomorrow, thanks. Also, is the Tweakui that is out now appropriate for Windows Me, as that was another hint I seen to use, the icon refresh or something similar.

zqwerty
28-10-2004, 09:51 PM
TweakUI has the ability to repair icons, I have used it successfully before.

Pheonix
28-10-2004, 09:51 PM
If you cannot change the resolution ( right-click on desktop - properties - settings ) from 640 x 480 16 colours, then you will require to reload the video card drivers.

If you can adjust it, then it is not the video drivers. Next, download Tweakui (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/tweakui.html) and after installing, you will find the icon in Control Panel. Open it up and under the REPAIR tab, you will find the icon rebuild facility. This may fix it.

supergran
28-10-2004, 09:57 PM
Yes I can change the resolution, did it today, just in case kids had changed it, and so that rules that out, thanks.

Yes, will download tweakui tomorrow, and try that, thanks you all for replying, as today, I just didn't know what else to try.

supergran
29-10-2004, 10:38 PM
Thanks everyone, the tweakui fixed them.